CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Deer hit!!!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Deer hit!!!

I hit a mule deer oct 2 ...messed up my ride pretty badly but managed to stay upright...anyone else have this experience or similar??? Has really been f-#$ing with my head now that riding season is right around the corner..bobber is almost done and the glide is coming home soon from the shop..obviously I'm going to ride..does yur confidence go away? I also have a video of the hit...I'll see if I can post it here..crap how do ya flip the pics...I was beyond shook up!!! I'm still trippin in my head... harvesting deer on a bike ain't fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191002_163403.jpg   20191002_163345.jpg   20191002_163352.jpg   20191002_163429.jpg   20191002_163409.jpg  

Last edited by Ridintherockies; 01-13-2020 at 9:20 AM.

I have never hit one with a bike. They are all over here in upstate ny. I used to love blasting down a country road at night but The thought of them has taken the pleasure away.
    You are lucky. Be careful out there

Get Adobe Flash player

You are a very lucky man.. Never hit a deer on a motorcycle. A friend of mine did.

He was fine, but the guy who stopped to help him (An older gentleman) was so shook up by it, he had a heart attack and died at the scene.

Deer are majestic vermin. I don't hunt them myself, but I'm thrilled someone does.

You can absolutely have too many deer.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've hit a white-tail here on gravel road in iowa one fall night went head over heels throw the handle bars (ape hangers) and rolled I was ok no broken bone or anything I hit it in the right spot i guess right in the gut and after I got up it ran off my bike other than the handlebars being bent the bike was runnable and I was only two miles from home at the time and was shook up to say the least but I am a firm believer that you fall off you have to get right back on so not to be scared of it got home put it away for the night and the next night I swapped the handlebars and was riding again it took a couple of months of riding to get the feel of riding without the fear of hitting anther deer but it does go away

Get Adobe Flash player

Barely clipped one a couple summers ago, both the bike and myself rode out unscathed.

Broadsided a cow once though and it damn near killed me. Totaled a nice road king too

My brother hit one a couple years back going 60 with his Road King Classic. Killed the deer, he managed to maintain control of the bike and bring it to a stop but his right foot was pinned under the crash bar, so he kinda came to a stop then plonked over on the left. He got a 21" front wheel, hard bags, and a new candy paintjob outta the deal.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ya if ya look at pics,,upside down,, you can see crash bar got me on right shin..its all the way to brake pedal...hurt lile shit but that Int nuthin to what could have happened...I got it slowed down to Z bout 50 and just held on

Get Adobe Flash player

Welcome to the "Deerhitters" MC. We get together once a month to talk bike, buck & doe.
    Tryin' to be ready for the next wildlife encounter. Not if... when.

My wife and I hit a muley doe 15 years ago in the Sierras in CA. Doing about 50 just before dusk. Saw it jump from the right side of the road and then I saw reddish brown fur in my face. I think she nailed me with her neck in the face and chest; then her body flipped around and smacked into us. My wife was watching the moon rise over the mountains and never saw the deer. My wife had her hands on her knees and the deer hit her so hard her knee smashed the oil tank on the Sportster and the oil filler cap shot about twenty feet away. I held the bike up for a ways but we ended up sliding down the road. The bike bounced a few times before it dug into the asphalt. My wife went flying over me and bounced down the road like a rag doll. That we both lived through it was amazing, although she did end up losing a finger on her right hand.

I live in Colorado now where we have a much higher population of deer not to mention elk and bighorn sheep. We still ride in the mountains but I seldom ride up there before 10:00 am and I out of the mountains by late afternoon. I never ride outside of town at night any more.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good idea to try to reduce the odds but the one that got me was around noon, shot out of the woods at a right angle and hit me in the front turn signal and knocked me down.
    They will try to hurt you any time of day or night. At night keep your eyes open for shining critter eyes that are reflecting your headlight. Although I've been told moose eyes don't reflect.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well that sucks. I'm glad to read that your okay.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hitting a Dear is no fun..... I hit one about 10 years ago........ I was damn lucky I was on my Street Glide and not my Knuckle...... That long front end would have been a ramp for the deer......... Since I hit him dead center in the gut........

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is a pic I just found......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OhDeer.JPG  

Get Adobe Flash player

I have never collided with a deer but I've had several near hits. last one
    was a few months ago near june lakes on hwy 395 in the sierras, several deer
    popped out of the dark . forrest on the right side and were about to sprint across the road and I
    hit the horn button, and braked hard, and lucky for me, they stopped and turned back.
    I thought for sure I was going to smash into them.
    I avoid riding fast in heavily treed areas, especially at night.

Lately I have been having lots of suicidal jack rabbits crossing my path, the last one ran to the center of the road then turned abruptly and ran straight towards me! I swerved and barely missed creaming him. Another one was just simply resting in the middle of my lane, so I swerved and the rabbit just stood his ground and didn't even flinch. I could have kicked him with my boot. I am in the high desert right at the base of the sierras so we get a large variety of wildlife, I have even seen dead beavers & badgers along the side of the road that have been hit.
    coyotes & bob cat as well. My advise is too slow down at night (dusk as well) when riding through wilderness areas, Visibility is obviously reduced compared to a sun lit day, And much of the wildlife are active at night. I even had a fucking owl almost hit me in the head, He flew out of a pine tree and crossed the road in flight. fucking crazy animals

Get Adobe Flash player

Back in '98 I hit one traveling down the interstate, in Ohio, doing 55-60 mph driving a sidecar rig. There were like 5 upon the right berm getting ready to cross, me in the center lane, looked over my shoulder to be sure I could move left. When I looked forward, right in front of me, I jerked the handlebars left and the nose of the hack, hack's fender, took the brunt. I had already let off the throttle, but that right side was going up and down, shook me up pretty good. I remember the deer's nose glancing off my shoulder. Sidecar body and fender was the total damages. '91 Ultra. I drove it home after the report to highway patrol.

Funniest thing of the whole ordeal: I ripped the day off from work to go riding, it was an excellent early spring day for riding. I hit the deer in the evening, around 5, after work hours. Next day my boss got in my face why I didn't call & all. I told him I hit a deer on my motorcycle and not another word was said!

And yes, to the other part of the OP's query, my confidence did wane but came back to ride again, ever so more observant after that.
    It was worse being plowed by a cager, for a year, or so after that, when I saw a car come flying down a country road that intersected the highway I was on, I would be braking and wondering if he was going to stop at his stop sign & not broad side me. Back in my no wearing a helmet days, let those who ride decide, but I wear one religiously now.

Oh yes, I too drive slower in low daylight hours, or nighttime, when chances are greater of them being in the way.
    Last edited by 10scDust; 01-14-2020 at 8:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes, and sometimes the deer hit YOU! Got a ton of stories about them, but be especially cautious of Drunken Sex Crazed Deer!
    In the fall, mating season the bucks go into rut, Think 3 shots of tequila and "Im sexy AND Bulletproof" so in my area the fruit falls off the trees so lots of pears and apples, they ferment on the ground its ladies night at the back 40 saloon. They get drunk and I have seen them walk out on the highway and challenge cars to duels.

Mrs Doug had such an encounter 2 years ago in her car, She slowed down and saw the buck, he charged her car and smashed front fender, pass door and rear quarter. Strutted off like a boss.

So, some friends on a ABATE run to central Ory-gun, back of the pack of 20+ scoots and they never saw it coming. Next thing they know are tumbling on pavement and Kev looks up and sees a $900 Headlight nacelle tumbling down the road with chrome glinting brightly and a big cloud of dust with his freshly painted bike crashed in the ditch. Last rider was oil smoking so the group made him last, he saw the whole thing. Deer bounds down the embankment on side of 2 lane hwy and tries to jump over Kev & lady friend, knocked 'em clean off the scoot. Messed them up pretty good but they lived.

My friend Hobot, famous in British bike & Norton circles has decades of stories of his battles with Forest rats as he calls them. He lives way off the roads on "THE GRAVEL" as he calls it, basically 7 miles to pavement. One of his many encounters ended up with the Law thinking it was a maniac. He was on the hwy to town and near an intersection hit one,, went down, Deer was thrashing and dying, blood everywhere. Dr Hobot was maimed as well, Broken leg I think? So seeing the deer is a sufferin' drew his knife and sliced the jugular of the deer. Citizens slowed down to see the carnage and all they reported was a blood covered lunatic wrestling with a deer on the ground lunging with a large knife. ALL sped off to safety until the police arrived. Multiple 911 calls, but he lives in Arkansas so thats probably their version of Tuesday.
    Over the years he fitted a scabbard and bar bracket and a Paint ball gun jacked up to 11 and had a theory that if you zapped enough of them, they might spread the word, So if you heard of multicolored deer in Arkansas,, it was Hobot. (And yes,, he has pictures and there was some Youtube footage)

So worst was my buddy Sir Eddy, came over to my place as I live in the hills, on his return near dusk (Bad time to travel) same deal, He never saw the deer. It tried to jump over him. He went down bad, nearly impaled on a metal T post for fencing. Kid heard it and paramedics came, saved his life. He died 2x and a 3x at the hospital but each time revived him. He ended up in a coma and then rehab in a facility. Lived another 4 years before it caught up to him and he died for good that time. Sorely missed RIP Eddy.

On my road, its statistically the HIGHEST amount of Deer vs vehicles in the county. The carcass truck from the county is out here all the time. I ride with extreme caution at night, early AM and early evenings is the highest deer traffic. I have a few close calls but honestly I pucker a bit once out of town coming home. If the cell phone fixated cage drivers wont kill you, the critters will!

Now cannabis is legal, We have multiple pot farms near my house (3 of them, including the X files farm) Seeing as THC weed has cratered in prices, many of the farmers have switched to hemp for CBD and Levis is coming out with Hemp clothing,, So Hemp is the new cash crop. My neighbor added 40 more acres of cultivation and X files can go as high as 250 acres but currently farming 40 acres. I have been asking and so far all the locals claim the wildlife is not consuming much of the crops but I find that surprising because I heard weed plants are like crack cocaine to deer, One of their fav snacks. Many of the farms have full camera systems so, I suppose they would know. The Deer dont talk to me but I believe our local deer are totally chill & Mellow. I have yet to determine if the deer are more likely to get run over or not consuming cannabis, THC or CBD.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oregon...o-black-market

Last spring, Forrest Griffin*, an Oregon cannabis farmer, was forced to throw away hundreds of pounds of high-end weed. His small grow-op had folded, in part due to a pesticide test, and the state demanded he destroy piles of his skunky-sweet leftovers.

Heartbroken over his failed business, he stuffed more than 200 pounds of pot into paper lawn bags, hauled them to a compost site and dumped every last nug. “It felt horrible, like a massive, massive failure,” said Griffin, who is in his 30s, lives near Portland and has a background in horticulture. “It was a sad day.”

For months, he had nurtured his plants like a protective dad. After harvest, he was proud of the calm, euphoric high they yielded. In other states, the load of sun-grown indica could have sold for more than $100,000. And it just seemed wrong to throw it away.
    -----------------------------
    Oregon I *THINK* is going to have the chillest deer in the country, We rank #3 in the US for acres of cultivation and last years hemp harvest was so large only 35 % was able to be processed because it overwhelmed the processing facilities.

https://www.capitalpress.com/state/o...0e11a43e4.html

Never hit one myself but had a few close calls up at school upstate ny. You really think there are "chill deer"? I kinda thought they're all just fuckin dumb

Get Adobe Flash player

Coming back from Bonnyville year before last in the suburban with a trailer full of bikes, came around a corner and found 5 mulies locked up in the middle of the road. Everybody else in the truck screamed like little girls when I flicked the lights off for about the count of 3. When I flicked them back on only clear road. Only one of them has ever ridden with me again. The rest won't believe me that they are gonna stand there until you hit them unless you get the lights out of their eyes.
    Dusty

I have had a bunch of close calls, hit one white tail, and grazed a black bear. No major injuries with any of them. Mostly just dented and bent parts. As I have gotten older I find I enjoy riding at night less and less.

Just got the wives Nissan Juke back from the body shop last week, $3400 (our cost $250). Deer hit her in the drivers door bad enough she could not open it.

Share This