CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Haifley hardtail exhaust help

Hi guys, I got a 94 sportster that i'm hardtailing and I bought a pair of the lowbrow shutgun exhausts. When I went to install them the mounting bracket is about 1" from the rear engine bolts it says to install it on. So I'm wondering how bad it is if I don't have a bracket holding the exhaust on. My other option is to make some custom spacers but since its the engine mounts I didn't know how smart that was either. Thanks

View post on imgur.com

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Stand back a bit and get more pics of the exhaust so the hive mind can offer solutions to use that or another bracket and perhaps place a tapped block or bung out of the way elsewhere. (No exhaust mount or anything else should interfere with easy motor R&I.)

You need a mounting bracket and stronger is always better! You were wise to ask because intercepting the problem beats breaking studs off in the heads.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-11-2020 at 1:43 PM.

Here's the exhaust and you can see how the bracket isn't close to the mount.

Get Adobe Flash player

It looks like the bracket is welded on upside down???? Or it's not the right pipe for your year........

You do need a bracket holding on the pipe not just the one at the front...........

Those are very nice looking pipes by the way..........
    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-11-2020 at 2:14 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Call Lowbrow and see what they say on Monday........ Before you start cutting on things.......

Get Adobe Flash player

You could make a little extension that bridges the gap. Those pipes look great on the chop. Could you get a pic of the whole bike?

The bracket isn't welding on it's just bolted. And it's meant for a stock frame and my hardtail motor mounts don't extend past that pole so it's not flush. I was thinking about making some spacers but didn't know if it was smart to have spacers with the motor mount bolts. Here's all the photos I currently have, stole the rear taillight ideas from andrewc's build.

Get Adobe Flash player

The bracket need not be welded but it's mount could usefully be welded.A vertical top rail to bottom rail welded piece of bar a few inches from the aft end of the shortest pipe would be a good place for a bracket

Round bar is sexier than flat bar and a suitable tab small enough to hide behind the pipes would support them while being unobtrusive. The further towards the end the greater the rigidity. Round bar is cheap and common at hardware stores though if your local metal supplier is handy they usually stock it cheap and may have some cutoffs from other jobs.

If you attach it to an extended motor mount bolt, use red Loctite on that bolt. I would do that only if I had no way to weld a stronger setup closer to the rear of the pipes.

Check pics of similar hardtails and don't feel any pressure to use included incorrect brackets on a custom. That's often not the strongest way to go and hardtails should be stoutly put together.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-11-2020 at 4:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    The bracket need not be welded but it's mount could usefully be welded.A vertical top rail to bottom rail welded piece of bar a few inches from the aft end of the shortest pipe would be a good place for a bracket

Round bar is sexier than flat bar and a suitable tab small enough to hide behind the pipes would support them while being unobtrusive. The further towards the end the greater the rigidity. Round bar is cheap and common at hardware stores though if your local metal supplier is handy they usually stock it cheap and may have some cutoffs from other jobs.

If you attach it to an extended motor mount bolt, use red Loctite on that bolt. I would do that only if I had no way to weld a stronger setup closer to the rear of the pipes.

Check pics of similar hardtails and don't feel any pressure to use included incorrect brackets on a custom. That's often not the strongest way to go and hardtails should be stoutly put together.
    Yeah I was just replying to Tattooo's comment about it being welding upside down. The pipes have a mount near the end already so I was thinking I can either modify the bracket to connect to just one mount, run it with no bracket, have a 1" spacer on the motor mounts, or weld a new tab to the oil tank to secure the pipes that.

There's a couple of bikes that I have seen running these pipes without the bracket so I was really just asking if it's better to have a spacer on the motor mount or have no support bracket for these pipes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kconn04 View Post
    Yeah I was just replying to Tattooo's comment about it being welding upside down.
    Ok is it bolted/clamped on upside down? Could that be the case?
    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-12-2020 at 8:17 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

There's a couple of bikes that I have seen running these pipes without the bracket
    Common among folks who don't know better. You were wise to ask. Many a motorcycle has been fucked up by owners too lazy to support their pipes.

BTW I always anti-seize the exhaust nuts so I don't unscrew the studs when I remove a pipe for maintenance.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like that passenger peg is bolted on a tab near the ends of the pipe...could use that tab as an anchor point for a bracket.

2 mounting points per pipe minimum and that does not include pipe into head things (studs, bolts, clamps ect) Just my 2 cents

Can’t totally tell from the photos of this would work, but from what I can see I would weld a mounting tab off the bottom of that oil tank and then connect it to the existing bracket on the pipes if possible. Using the passenger peg as a mounting point isn’t a bad idea either. Good luck!

Share This