Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
    If the Fella in the video is only switching the on/off run switch, the starter button is stuck in the close position ... !!

OR it's wired wrong..........LOL Hell they could have the starter button wires run to the on off switch for all I know?????

Hell I never touch the off run switch on any of my bikes if they have one........ Why????? What's wrong with the main switch????????

Like I said the video makes no sense........... By what he's showing that is........

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Just curious? The first thing I would check on any engine that sat for years would be if it could turn. It only takes a minute to push it back and forth in high gear to see if the engine can turn. If it could, my neighbor would hit the starter with a hammer and have a fair success rate, I would remove and disassemble the starter and solenoid and carefully clean all the corrosion. A little cupric sulfate under a brush or contact limits current flow drastically.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

If it doesn't have a kick starter it's a very good idea to install one. You can use any decent cover but do buy Baker gears and a quality arm and pedal. The folding stock HD pedals are reasonable if you want it to stay out of the way. ChiCom starter kits are garbage and eat knees. OEM would be fine too but unless you're very lucky all those are long gone and the Baker superior anyway.

HD left kickers off on some models because they were cheap assholes and some bean counter thought it was a good idea. The piles of blank covers at swap meets reflect how bad it was in reality.

Also check all power and ground cables (I replace them because cable ages internally too, including corroded joints between cable and lug) even though ya found the immediate problem. The stock starter system was an abortion to get away with using an outboard motor starter and needs watching.

Dusty's advice above is spot-on. Also inspect the gear reduction housing as chain slap is prone to gouging the bottom and the fasteners prone to loosening. I've been able to tighten them from the top by grinding a 12-point box end (use a quality wrench!) for enough swing to take very small turns.

BTW not using switches doesn't protect them from corrosion. Periodic actuation wipes the contact areas clean.

Since the bike sat the contents of the oil tank is now in the crankcase unless someone drained it. I pull the timing plug (outdoors) and blow it out on first engine rotation since wet sumping abusively overloads the starter motor.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

BTW not using switches doesn't protect them from corrosion. Periodic actuation wipes the contact areas clean.
          Yes sir I agree......... But I have never had a switch fail by not using it.......... Lucky I guess......

I have seen people use the off run switch every time they get off there bike..... Hell they also leave the bike in gear on flatland........ Have you ever seen a guy trying to be cool start his bike and forget it is in gear?????? Not to cool........LOL

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

[QUOTE=Tattooo;836809

Have you ever seen a guy trying to be cool start his bike and forget it is in gear ?? LOL[/QUOTE]

Sober or Intoxicated .. ?? lol
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

LOL Yep......... You seen him too??????

I'm glad the OP has figured out his problem....... Hope he comes back and tells us more about his bike.......

I'd like to see a pic of his 79 FLH myself.......

Comment

• Scaira
                • Nov 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200110_151357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	1315100

Comment

• Scaira
                  • Nov 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_164443.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1315101

There you go tattoo...

Current state of bike and when I first picked her up.

Sorry boys life got in the way of more work on the solenoid starter problem. Thanks for all the interest and help!

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Scaira
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]99479[/ATTACH]

There you go tattoo...

Current state of bike and when I first picked her up.

Sorry boys life got in the way of more work on the solenoid starter problem. Thanks for all the interest and help!

Man that is awesome looking.......... Factory seat and all......

Thanks for posting a pic.........

Comment

• ladycroft
                      • Jan 2020

LOL that guy was a clown?

Comment

• Scaira
                        • Nov 2019

Motor turns over when small post is bridged to top post. Going to install new switch since changing out handlebars now. Hopefully it's just the switch.

Thanks for you help.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

You can verify in seconds by jumping the wires at the switch even before removing it. If no joy you'll have the bar wiring exposed to further troubleshoot.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;