CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Who made upswept header pipes/exhaust themselves?

Hello, I try to make an upswept exhaust for a 73 Shovel.
    Has anyone made his own upswept header pipes?

The pipe on the front cilinder wouldn't be a problem. But does anyone know the radius/bend of the pipe on the rear cilinder? Or how to do it. I think myself cut slices in a straight pipe for about 3/4 of the pipe and bend it by hand, but that will be a lot of welding..

Picture is an example of the header pipes I want to make.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	99378

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Why not take a piece of pipe to a muffler shop and have them bend it for you?????? Just a thought..............

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Why not take a piece of pipe to a muffler shop and have them bend it for you?????? Just a thought..............
    I've been down this road. Best off installing the oil tank and motor , installing the lower pipe and bringing it down there.
    Takes the guess work out of it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    I've been down this road. Best off installing the oil tank and motor , installing the lower pipe and bringing it down there.
    Takes the guess work out of it.
    Only a fool would try and build the exhaust before the bike was all together........

Get Adobe Flash player

Muffler shops usually don't have mandrel benders so da bend will be egg-shaped and look like ass, but ya can buy prebent sections or find a mandrel bending supplier.

Search terms like "mandrel bent exhaust shops". You can order custom bends online. With all the suffering involved and expense I'd order stainless because carbon steel tubing is shit for exhaust systems over time and all coating is temporary. You might mock up pipes at the angles you want then send them off to be copied.

I suspect that's the only way I'll manage stainless XLR pipes for my Ironhead, but carbon is such delicate trash I'll do the necessary.
    Did I mention I hate corrosion?

Get Adobe Flash player

Muffler shops usually don't have mandrel benders so da bend will be egg-shaped and look like ass
    You don't know unless you ask...... I know of two local shops that can do it correctly.....

Speedway automotive sells a weird looking mandrel bent j looking thing in multiple sizes for about $30

Get Adobe Flash player

Found this build on a shovel:

Building Custom Chopper Exhaust Pipe System

Part17: Building Exhaust Pipes, Street Chopper February 23, 2009

"After a trip to the swap meet, I had just about all the pieces of pipe I needed for a mere $30...And here you have it: a set of pipes that I was able to do for less than $100 and in less than a day's work (and I work slowly).

https://www.streetchopperweb.com/bui...st-pipe-system

Get Adobe Flash player

You don't know unless you ask...... I know of two local shops that can do it correctly.....
    I checked but my area sucks (SC) since all the cool engine work seems to be (understandably!) in NC. Down here it's all pressure bending, but unlike OPs situation I can just buy a set of XLR style chrome drags, check fit then send them anywhere as a pattern.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Only a fool would try and build the exhaust before the bike was all together........
    Oh please Grand high exalted one of the bike build please tell me why that would be so ? Because 98% of the time your advice is worthless and "ask Jesse".
    Always a million question marks followed by , "pictures " !!! Followed by inaccurate information....
    Followed by accurate information by someone else followed by " that's what I thought also ".
    It's like a run on joke.
    He is just looking to match the initial bends
    to build the rest of his exhaust too. He has said he can do the lower , so do it , then bring the bike down to match the upper wherever he sees fit.
    Please Grand wizard tell me how that is going to be done ... by estimate ?
    I guess if he'd like to bring the pipe back and forth to the muffler shop 3x he could.
    Nobody said he had to build the whole exhaust. Just match the initial bend to parallel them as shown in the picture.
    I'm sure he'll know how the rest of his build is going at that point and to make sure it won't interfere with other parts of his build.

Get Adobe Flash player

All you need is a wire to make a templet for the exhaust design, then Go to the muffler shop ONE time I've done it several times..........

Jesse is my go to guy for technical information....... There are many on here that are very good also..........

I said over a year ago I wasn't going to answer every question asked that I know the answer to just to be fair to others and give others a chance........ That's exactly why I say that's what I thought it was..........

I ask for pics because it's very helpful to me and others.............. It's been proven many times

You ask your questions as you want and I will ask them the way I want.......

No need to respond to the other fake news
    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-17-2020 at 3:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Finish bike, trailer to shop, bend, fit, weld exhaust flanges, done.
    Hack mockup pipe together with scrap and MIG tacks, bring to shop, copy, take home, weld exhaust flanges after tacking on bike, done.
    Make wire mockup, bring to shop, copy, bring home, weld exhaust flanges after tacking on bike, done if no rebend needed.
    Hang old drag pipes off finished bike, ride to shop, make new pipes, weld flanges done.

Coat pipe as desired afterwards.

Common denominator is finding a shop. The pipe and mounts can be the last parts you install.

Got an OA torch with a rosebud tip? (Every mechanic should have one for many reasons.)

If using carbon steel that's cheap enough to mangle some (or a lot) learning. You can order 20-foot sticks of that and anything else ya like from your metal supplier who can cut each stick in half or whatever looks handy for transport. Bring hunk of stock exhaust to metal supplier to match material and wall thickness.

This guy is fun to watch and the video shows the pipe color change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8mMQbEkr8w

Carbon steel flanges are cheep:

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/shove...ild-steel.html

Won't work for the particular XLR style long curves I want in stainless without spending too much time and money, but for carbon steel chopper exhausts with the simple bends we're used to it's been common forfuckingever.

Get Adobe Flash player

speedway has the best deal on bends. You can get a huge box of bends for less than 100$. Multiple radii and angle bends. I bought a tc bros kit, a couple angles and U bends but all the same radius, then needed more pieces to do my 2-1 I just finished. Go with the speedway kit. Also, I didnt have a good setup for cutting in the bends. Portaband was too iffy. I ended up using a tubing cutter if I needed to cut in the bend. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it ensures that your cut is perpendicular to the radius and not ovaled out. Easy enough to do. I had a lot of things I needed to work around, so having multiple bends and radii to choose from was very helpful....you should see my scrap pile.

Name:	59935257546--3F0ABC09-316B-4B44-8CF1-773920364804.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	99398

Got a decent deal on chrome, If I ended up liking after the riding season, I'll probably redo it in stainless at some point. This being my first attempt at making an exhaust, I'm really glad I didn't do stainless. I wasted a lot of tubing getting it just the way I wanted. And I'm still not super happy with the way it routes under the trans. But that's what I needed to do to get it to clear the kicker and have the rear pipe in front of the front pipe, which was a dumb requirement I made for myself based on aesthetics.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    This guy is fun to watch and the video shows the pipe color change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8mMQbEkr8w
    This is awesome. I really want to try that. Gotta be sooooo much harder than he's making it look. Love it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Love your exhaust gorgeous! Nice work man

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by flatman View Post
    Speedway automotive sells a weird looking mandrel bent j looking thing in multiple sizes for about $30
    Similarly, there's kits on Amazon and Ebay with very nice, smooth, pre formed bends and even flanges. Pick the bend you want and cut it out. They typically have a couple of 180's, some 45's.. Etc.

I saw some in SS too..

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks doggy. I have an original alphabet set that fit like shit and hung way out the side. It was scraped to hell so I figured I'd just redo it an tuck it in a little more. Way more of an undertaking than I had originally planned for but it should look good once it comes back from chrome. I may have overdid it as each pipe is 8-10 individual pieces but that was the only way to clear the mids, dishong style pedal, and kicker. Probably should have rebent the pedal to give myself a little more room, but it was already polished. Ended up only reusing the collector and turnout.

Get Adobe Flash player

Portaband was too iffy.
    They tend to be. One way to cut somewhat straight is make sure the guide rollers aren't worn (new ain't expensive), use a fresh blade, and mark by wrapping in painters tape but the tubing/pipe cutter with a sharp wheel will still be more accurate.

Name:	20200117_174441.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	99654

Share This