Which Panhead 12v regulator electronic or mechanical?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fleshgrowsback
    • Sep 2013

Which Panhead 12v regulator electronic or mechanical?

Still finishing up this 48 panhead. I took a test ride the other day and blew a fuse 25 blade fuse. Swapped a 40 blade fuse in on the side of the road and that blew as well. I'm assuming the capacitor is storing up energy and blowing the fuse.

I used an accel 12v electronic voltage regulator from my shovelhead on the panhead.
    The shovelhead has an electronic ignition.

I have a 65A generator on the panhead with points ignition (blue streak cap).

Generator charges the battery when I ride but that's the extent of my testing.

I'm gonna recheck for any shorts but I was told recently it was better to use delco style mechanical regulator on generators.

I was wondering if this is a common issue?

Are all 12v delco regulators basically the same or is there a better aftermarket version?

I heard that you can use old chevy regulators as well.
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

Cycle electric. Use the one for kick only bikes.
    Fits on the end of your generator. Sounds like your regulator isn’t working. Did you check voltage back at the battery while running at about 2000 rpms ?

Edit . Just saw you weren’t using a battery ?
    Maybe your cap isn’t big enough or isn’t working ?

Comment

• fleshgrowsback
      • Sep 2013

I am using a battery. Did I get the wrong points cap? I haven't run any tests yet

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Another vote for Cycle Electric. They offer a low voltage regulator for use with a small 12V battery, especially if it's inside the oil tank. They have the regular box style or the type that fits on the end of the generator as 47 noted above. Miles ahead of the mechanical regulators.

Jim

Comment

• fleshgrowsback
          • Sep 2013

So no one has heard of issues using electronic regulators with old generators?

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by fleshgrowsback
            So no one has heard of issues using electronic regulators with old generators?
            Cycle Electric is the company that made the generator to start with. I'm sure they know best.

Jim

Comment

• Hubbard
              • Dec 2010

First and foremost you need to do some testing to see if your gen. is charging correctly as per the manual . Look up the procedure for a 65a gen. I assume thats what you have. Next check your output at the batt. This will show if it's the gen. or regulator. As to the delco"types", more than likely they are all fucking junk. A real delco for your generator would be fine but good luck finding a "real" one. There is nothing wrong with an electronic regulator if it's working right. See if your wiring is in good shape and not fucked up before you buy anything.

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

from what I read, you used a regulator from a shovel head (alternator), & tried to use it on a Panhead(Generator)
                i was under the impression that they are two different things & an Alternator regulator will not work on a generator bike, best ya get the right one for the generator............or is your Shovel a Generator shovel ? in which case forget what I said....

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

psycho electric is my choice also.

Comment

• fleshgrowsback
                    • Sep 2013

I took the regulator off a cone shovel. And when I said blue streak cap earlier I meant blue streak condenser and points in the panhead.

Comment

• fleshgrowsback
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by tzienlee
                      from what I read, you used a regulator from a shovel head (alternator), & tried to use it on a Panhead(Generator)
                      i was under the impression that they are two different things & an Alternator regulator will not work on a generator bike, best ya get the right one for the generator............or is your Shovel a Generator shovel ? in which case forget what I said....

That's how it was explained to me as well

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by fleshgrowsback
                        I took the regulator off a cone shovel. And when I said blue streak cap earlier I meant blue streak condenser and points in the panhead.
                        Well, that won't work. The regulator off an alternator equipped shovel rectifies the AC output of the stator, and regulates the voltage. The regulator for a DC generator is a whole different animal.

If you haven't managed to burn up your generator, it will be a minor miracle. May be time for a new Cycle Electric generator, with built-in regulator. Foolproof.

Jim

Comment

• fleshgrowsback
                          • Sep 2013

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm gonna pick up one of the cycle electric combos

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;