CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Green stuff in master cylinder controls

I had my shovel rewired yrs. ago. and I'm doing some long needed upgrades and maintenance. started to change brake light swith in the hand controls. when I opened it had green, almost like tiny silica inside controls. Would someone put stuff in there or is it brake fluid getting there a breaking down. its weird never seen anything like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 045.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

It looks like you need to clean your bike really good when you come back from the beach to me......

I would check the rest of your bikes wiring and closed up places if it were me........ Look in the headlight also..........
    Last edited by Tattooo; 03-24-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Good call the last time it was running was at myrtle bike week about 4yrs ago and it actually shut down on me 6 days into the week. and soon after we got back. The Army moved us and it was in storage for 3 yrs. I'll start checking out stuff. I know that stator and rotor are good. Guess I should check out ignition and under dash.

Get Adobe Flash player

Deoxit make excellent electrical cleaners and Permatex dielectric grease is ideal for excluding moisture from connections. Grounds should be disconnected and surfaces cleaned. I'd try to get Deoxit inside the switches. I'd remove, clean and reinstall all connections which use nuts on studs.

What ignition are you using and how old is it? There are two ways to deal with electrical components like electronic ignitions, stators, rotors and coils. The first is ride until each one fails. The second is treat them as time replacement items. Doing that is why aircraft don't crash all over the place. If it's elderly and electrical, consider shitcanning it and starting fresh. The old parts can be emergency spares.

When I get a new to me HD I now replace the complete ignition and charging systems unless I previously replaced them for the owner. Intermittent thermal failure on old ignitions is common.

Most old motorcycle malfunctions are electrical. The less old electrical shit there in the first place, the lower the odds of failure on the road.

Check all harness for chafing and pinching. Remove fuel tank if needed but put your eyeballs on everything. Questionable rewiring jobs are common but wiring is so easy once you learn it you'll have a hardon to fix and replace harness. It's cheap, too.

Get Adobe Flash player

The "Leprechauns" has set up house keeping in there ...

(Little Bastards)

Better it than you .. !!
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-24-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^^^^^^That was an awesome and funny episode.......... ^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL

Get Adobe Flash player

Dat's what it is ... ^^^
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-24-2020 at 1:29 PM.

Its a 81 shovel, no turn signals and the switch on controls don't power bike. its was set up with single fire coil and 4 plugs. power to bike is supplied at the dash switch. only switches that are used on controls are the start, brake light. and the high beam on clutch side. so there wires, button and switches that are there but not used. My plans were to eventfully throw on new controls with no electric stuff and set up a couple handlebar switches for what I need. Its a bike Ive had since 87 and been a lot of changes over the yrs. Hasn't been my everyday ride that's why its been a little neglected. My wife retiring from the Army and going to be settling in Az. so I thought it was time to put a little $ and time in to it. Just cant get rid of it !

Share This