Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roughlife
    • Jun 2019

Rear fender options for Chopper Builds

About to weld up my Hardtail next weekend on a 1989 Sportster 1200. going to be running a Shinko 270 Vintage style Tire (5 - 16)

Trying to figure out what rear fender i'm going to run so would like to see some examples of what other people are running. was looking into something like the Lowbrow Customs Manta Ray Smooth Steel Fender. but it says it comes in either 4 3/4" or 6". So thing the 4 3/4 might be to small, and the 6 to large. what are other people running on this style Rear tire?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Roughlife
    About to weld up my Hardtail next weekend on a 1989 Sportster 1200. going to be running a Shinko 270 Vintage style Tire (5 - 16)

Trying to figure out what rear fender i'm going to run so would like to see some examples of what other people are running. was looking into something like the Lowbrow Customs Manta Ray Smooth Steel Fender. but it says it comes in either 4 3/4" or 6". So thing the 4 3/4 might be to small, and the 6 to large. what are other people running on this style Rear tire?
    Come on man just do a search........... 98% of bikes have a rear fender................

Comment

• rockman96
      • May 2018

I suggest flat trailer fenders from Northern... They're the best!

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

^^^^^^ Yep...^^^^^^ And mount the tire and measure how wide it is......... Then that is how wide of a fender you need to buy............ No pics needed........

Comment

• Hoghead
          • Jun 2015

Got a similar tyre on the rear of my Pan, the fender I run is a ribbed one from Chica - fits the radius of the tyre perfectly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1314949

Comment

• kmanator
            • Nov 2017

I used a front fender from a '98 Kawasaki that I plucked out of a dealers dumpster...Trimmed a bit to my liking ..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kmanator; 01-05-2020, 7:53 AM.

Comment

• Hoghead
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by kmanator
              I used a front fender from a '98 Kawasaki that I plucked out of a dealers dumpster...Trimmed a bit to my liking ..
              I'm liking that too!

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Hell I'll bite...........

Like I said above and like people have posted pics, almost every rigid bike has a rear fender.............
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hoghead
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
                  Hell I'll bite...........

Like I said above and like people have posted pics, almost every rigid bike has a rear fender.............
                  Nice fender! True though- most rigid bikes have one.... If ya don't the least of your bothers will be a dirty back!!

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hoghead
                    Nice fender!

Thanks man, I have a LOT of hours in it......... Getting rid of the rib under the light and dressing up everything took a lot of time.............

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

In order to achieve the look that's pleasing to your eye, ya may have a need to get creative ....

Name:	58377329_444014966171647_5735487657652256768_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1314964

That's my 52' took two Super Glide rear fenders, butted em together then spilt it down the center and added an inch..
                      Also used support plates & chain pocket from a OG fender .. Most was hammer welded ...
                      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                        • Jan 2015

You won't go wrong with that 6" mantaray fender. They are very nice and the 6" width will work nice with that tire. I've used those fenders on 3 different bikes now. Great look and good solid thickness.

Comment

• gorgeous
                          • Aug 2013

I used a lowbrow fender, I think the 6" mantaray, on my panhead. Even with a 15" rim and fat tire on the back, I sectioned an 3/4-7/8" out of the center(long ways) to get it to fit right. I may have bought a 7" but I dont think I would have done that. I was planning on it needing to be reworked to fit anyway, but there was no way that thing was going to work stock. Looked like this.

Name:	Dark_Helmet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	1315000

Theyre a nice thick steel so welding wasnt hard, just took a while. Nothing off the shelf is going to look great, just depends on how much work you want to do. I would do the work, if you're building a custom bike, make it custom.

Comment

• rudyod
                            • Apr 2013

I’m running a 5” flat trailer fender on my hardtail chop but I didn’t really have much choice since I have a king/queen seat. No pics, sorry.

Comment

• carb1
                              • Sep 2015

I have a hardtail with a 5:10X16 rear tire and I used a 1936 Ford spare tire cover and cut it to fit. The spare tire cover is about 5 1/2" wide.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;