Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goose9696
    • Aug 2019

S&s super e carb

Taking apart my S&s super e carburetor and I need some advice, here some pictures of it I just would like to know if I need to check the engine from how the carb is looking
  • Goose9696
    • Aug 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	1314869

Comment

• Goose9696
      • Aug 2019

Views:	1
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	1314871
      Attached Files

Comment

• Goose9696
        • Aug 2019

Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	1314872

Comment

• Goose9696
          • Aug 2019

Views:	2
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	1314873

Comment

• Goose9696
            • Aug 2019

Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	1314875
            Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Describe in detail why you removed the carb and why you suspect it may be a problem.

Since it's off, dip it and rebuild it with fresh soft parts (seals, needle) according to S&S instructions downloaded from their website then tune according to those instructions.

Describe in detail why the carb was removed and any other problems/suspect problems.

Perform a cold compression test on the engine and post results. That's the first step in diagnosis because the top end must seal within specs for proper engine performance.

Comment

• Goose9696
                • Aug 2019

I'm rebuilding the carb cause the fuel tank it had on was pretty rusted when I get it from the previous owner. got the kit for it too already, yea S&s instructions already got that printed out and can't test it cause currently not running the bike

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Then you're on the right track.

You can leak check the float off the bike with any fuel tank. I always replace intake manifold seals when a carb is removed for overhaul. Ensure you have a carb brace since manifolds (Ram Jett excepted) aren't designed to support the carb.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Before I read your reasons and was just looking at your pics........

I said to myself....... That bike needs to be ridden more....... After reading your words..............

I say that bike needs to be ridden more....... LOL

Comment

• Goose9696
                      • Aug 2019

Would it be a problem if I use the same intake manifold or just replace it

Comment

• Goose9696
                        • Aug 2019

Hopefully in two months the bike is running again, gonna rebuild the carb and then head over to the clutch side

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Goose9696
                          Would it be a problem if I use the same intake manifold or just replace it
                          I don't see a need to change the intake manifold........... Now the gaskets that's a different story......

Comment

• 10scDust
                            • Jan 2018

The carb internals do look like old gasoline that had been sitting in there for too long , like Tattooo said, it needs to be ridden more.

As far as the carbon deposits inside the throat, since no one said anything, I would believe that gets in there when the engine coughs back through the carb.
                            Not the expert here, but I have seen some engines spin backwards trying to kick start them, then they do not start and give a short reverse spin revolution or so with a little cough, and I would suspect that is how it gets there. Maybe even during shutting the engine down and that happening.

I would love to hear what the more knowledgeable mechanics here have to say about it.
                            Could engine timing, or cam durations and dual fires, be part contributors?
                            Last edited by 10scDust; 12-31-2019, 7:36 AM.

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 10scDust
                              The carb internals do look like old gasoline that had been sitting in there for too long , like Tattooo said, it needs to be ridden more.

As far as the carbon deposits inside the throat, since no one said anything, I would believe that gets in there when the engine coughs back through the carb.
                              Not the expert here, but I have seen some engines spin backwards trying to kick start them, then they do not start and give a short reverse spin revolution or so with a little cough, and I would suspect that is how it gets there. Maybe even during shutting the engine down and that happening.

I would love to hear what the more knowledgeable mechanics here have to say about it.
                              Could engine timing, or cam durations and dual fires, be part contributors?
                              Carbon buildup is from reversion in the intake tract. There are pulses and waves in the intake just like in the exhaust (in fact both are parts of the same phenomena). Add to that, the intake manifold length from throttle plate to valve is very short (say, compared to a V-8 car motor). All Harleys will carbon up the carb to some extent.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;