Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confab
    • May 2019

Pushrod Diameter Question?

EVO oiling for the Shovel has kind of fascinated me. I picked up some EVO lifter blocks and some rockers and mocked the old heads with some light springs..

Everything looks pretty good. As JB said, the rockers are too long. I think I can end mill those things off. (I now understand why some people are using a stepped spacer.)

Putting some black marker on the rocker and valve stem area reveals they line up very well, actually. Have to grind in the boxes a little, but everything looks pretty good except for the pushrods. They get close to the covers and may rub at the top, where the rods enter the rocker box.

All I have to test with are the 7/16th rods that came out of it..

Does anyone know of a quick install/collapsible style 3/8" pushrod that will work in this application?

I'm pretty sure everything would work just fine with a set of smaller pushrods.

??
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Not sure what you are doing there, but I see these with 3/8":

Hurricane Chrome Moly Pushrods

NRHS is proud to offer our own line of super strong pushrods. We looked at all the features we wanted in a pushrod and incorporated them into this product. We started with high strength heat treated seamless 4140 chrome moly tubing, for outstanding rigidity under even the most demanding conditions. “Mae West” ends accommodate high lift cams without concern for the end coming out of the rocker arm seat.
    Twin Cam and Evo Big Twin sets include different lengths for intake and exhaust to maximize the amount of thread engagement and make the assembly stronger.

Available in ultra stiff .065 straight 3/8” wall design, or a tapered design for the ultimate strength to weight ratio without the rub problems common with 7/16” pushrods. Tapered style are also available sized for fast installation (fast install available for Big Twin & TC88 only).

Available for standard applications or specify custom working length, wall thickness, and whether or not you need oil holes. Custom fixed length (non-adjustable) pushrods also available.

oh, check their Tech Tips on that page too.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

Cool.. Thanks.

I notice they mention 7/16" rubbing issues also.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

S&S offer a set of adjustable pushrods that have a wide range of adjustment, something like 9 1/2 to 11 1/4. I think they are 3/8 diameter.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Jim's, at one time, made pushrods from Titanium, he called them "Signature Series"

No longer available, but there are some NOS still around ...

(Got a set in my Buell, their light as a feather)
          Last edited by Dragstews; 12-30-2019, 1:10 AM.
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

Thanks everyone..

I can't readily identify them on the S&S or Jim's website.

Guess I'll give them a call and see.

Andrews has some "quick install" rods too for EVO, but no specs beyond chromoly or aluminum? So, I dunno how small they go or the size.

You'd think this stuff would be important enough to list up front. Maybe they think everybody already knows this stuff so they don't bother?

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

PS: Of possible interest..

I've been pestering a well known builder with my stupid noobie questions (New people are so annoying) and he does this mod differently.

He says, he uses EVO blocks and Shovel rockers, blocks the oil passage and retains the Shovel oil lines. It was an e-communication so I didn't have a chance to ask him for specifics or part numbers.. Yet.. But I get the impression he is blocking the oil hole which passes through the Shovel rocker, so the lifters pump up the rods and lube the pivots, then the lines take care of the rest.
              Last edited by confab; 12-30-2019, 9:53 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by confab
                But I get the impression he is blocking the oil hole which passes through the Shovel rocker,
                What oil hole ... ??

If your after oil up the pushrod top end oiling, stock Shovel rockers arms won't get you there ..
                Both Jim's & S&S makes Shovel arms that are drilled for up the pushrod oiling ....

The Evo arms is a good way to get that oil path, but is a bit of work to make fit in the Shovel rocker box..
                Shoot for the difference in the arm ratio at the valve lift, dang if I wouldn't just pick a cam that had more lift .. !

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

PS: Of possible interest..

I've been pestering a well known builder with my stupid noobie questions (New people are so annoying) and he does this mod differently.

He says, he uses EVO blocks and Shovel rockers, blocks the oil passage and retains the Shovel oil lines. It was an e-communication so I didn't have a chance to ask him for specifics or part numbers.. Yet.. But I get the impression he is blocking the oil hole which passes through the Shovel rocker, so the lifters pump up the rods and lube the pivots, then the lines take care of the rest.
                  It has been mentioned many times, that you can swap in the evo cam, tappets, and tappet blocks, and keep the shovel rocker arms. If that is done, the shovel top end oil lines must be retained. You don't have to plug anything on the shovel rocker arms, and there is no good method of doing so. The evo tappets will meter oil up the pushrod (there's a piddle valve in the top of the tappet), but the shovel rocker arms need oil from the stock oil lines.

Also realize that with the shovel rocker arms, the evo cam will not lift the valves the listed distance, because of the different rocker arm ratio (1.43:1 vs. 1.63:1).

Jim

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

Originally posted by Dragstews
                    What oil hole ... ??
                    I asked why use the lines with the EVO setup, and he said he had shovel rockers and "blocked the oil hole"

So, I assume it is the one in the rocker?

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      It has been mentioned many times, that you can swap in the evo cam, tappets, and tappet blocks, and keep the shovel rocker arms. If that is done, the shovel top end oil lines must be retained. You don't have to plug anything on the shovel rocker arms, and there is no good method of doing so. The evo tappets will meter oil up the pushrod (there's a piddle valve in the top of the tappet), but the shovel rocker arms need oil from the stock oil lines.

Also realize that with the shovel rocker arms, the evo cam will not lift the valves the listed distance, because of the different rocker arm ratio (1.43:1 vs. 1.63:1).

Jim
                      Good info.. I have no idea why he would block anything.

But that is what he said?

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

FYI:
                        The S&S pushrods I mentioned, with the wide range of adjustment, are #930-0052. They are good for Frankenmotors like you are contemplating.

Jim

Comment

• confab
                          • May 2019

COOL!!! Thank you very much.

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

I asked why use the lines with the EVO setup, and he said he had shovel rockers and "blocked the oil hole"

So, I assume it is the one in the rocker?
                            I would block the oil hole in the pushrod, specifically the pushrod adjustment screw/end. That would keep excess oil out of the rocker boxes and pushrod tubes.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

It's already blocked by the arm not being drilled ...
                              Oil comes to a dead stop at the ball & socket ...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;