Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

Keihin carb on Sportster rat trike

I wanted to continue on my progress from discussion in "How To" forum on CV Carb Rebuild and didn't think that arena was where this needed posted...

I finally got a jet and carb rebuild kit for a 1200 Sportster, as I have an 883cc, that I installed a big bore kit to 1250cc.
    CV40 Keihin that was stock on the Hugger.
    Thanks to the suggestions I received, (JBinNC, farmall, & others on the thread, kudos), I installed the biggest jets that came in the kit.
    Pilot jet went from 45 to 48.
    Main jet from 165 to 195.
    The needle jet in the kit visually looked like a larger orifice so it went into the carb, I did not measure it (I no longer have a set of pin gauges).
    I used the jet needle that came with the kit too, although it appeared to be the same, it was only .005" longer, with a .001" thicker head.

I remembered a tech tip out of Easy Riders I saved from way back when and removed enough of the housing, hiding the idle mixture screw, to access it easily.
    It was (2) one half turns out from fully seated. I installed the new one from the kit, with its washer, o-ring, and spring, then set it to (3) one half turns out.
    Engine started right up on the static timing. Ran it a few times for a couple minutes, to warm it up, get oil circulated, burn off any assembly lube not wiped out of the combustion chamber, and listen for abnormal sounds. Then I through the timing light on it and dialed it in.

I then took the trike out for a test run in the neighborhood, maybe 3-4 miles, that's it and it ran really good.
    Starts easy and sounds a little different, but good, no black or blue smoke either!
    All I need to do for now is get some break-in miles on it, a gas stop, and start printing the plugs to see where dialing in the carb needs to be perfected. I went as rich as the kit allowed me to, so I am hoping things are fine for starters. A little early to tell, but plan on getting in the wind today for a short while with a screwdriver and plug wrench.

Then I will be hitting the swap meets, in this new coming year, for a crossover exhaust that accepts slip-ons.
    I think the old gal will be happy, it's her ride!
    Till then, the holiday is upon us, Merry Christmas!
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Yer plan sounds good!

What trike kit/axle does it have?

Comment

• 10scDust
      • Jan 2018

The axle is a DNA.
      It was on the bike when we got it, it was not set up right, belt alignment was off by 2" and the axle swingarm bearing was effed up too.

If I were to do it again from scratch, it would not be a DNA!
      They do not offer different size drive pulleys or at least I couldn't find much in parts for replacement.
      The speedo was off over 20 mph making you think you were doing the speed but you were slower.

So yes, for the most part I built it with what was there, tried a steeper trans sprocket and the 883 didn't like it.
      Ended up back to stock on the trans pulley and put taller tires on it, speedo is correct now.
      Frankenstein 5 degree rake triple trees, 3" fork tube extensions, steering stabilizer to control wobble, rides good for what it is now, it's for the old lady who has trouble keeping 2 wheels up.
      This engine upgrade was what it needed!
      The fork tube extensions are drilled through, with a 3/8" NPTM brass plug in it, this is so I don't have to fool with fork springs removing the cap changing the oil, I try to keep my bikes well maintained.
      No rear fenders, lots of homemade stuff added to it, I will try to get a pic on here of it, I have had trouble doing that before here w/a pic.

Comment

• tzienlee
        • Apr 2024

I so hope I miss-read what you said,... but did you use 3'' slugs to extend the fork tubes,
        with the joint between the tubes and the slugs between the two yokes (Trees) ???…….
        IF you have please, PLEASE do it properly and get an over set of tubes before your
        old lady gets killed when the forks collapses at speed,...
        Slugs are fucking dangerous apart from being cheap,
        In many countries they are illegal because of their inherent danger,
        they came out in the 60's when overstock tubes were not as readily available or as cheap as they are today,
        there is NO PLACE for them on a motorcycle let alone one as heavy as a trike with raked trees !!!...…..
        save ya money and do it properly, you have all winter and they are not expensive,...

edit:---- just found this, here about slugs,....
        So, I see from time to time folks selling or using fork extensions to get an extended front end. BAD IDEA! This is shit that started back in the 1970s and became such a problem that they actually were illegal to sell. Fast fwd 30-40 years and somebody comes across a set and thinks "Why not? Ill save some coin over
        Last edited by Guest; 12-25-2019, 8:07 PM.

Comment

• 10scDust
          • Jan 2018

Thanks for that insight, i never thought about those physical stresses, but it makes sense.
          You're right, better safe than sorry.

update: I have a set of 2" overs ordered and on the way. I'll admit, for whatever reason I went this route, I feel sort of a dufus for doing so, I guess I never really investigated about them.

Thanks to this forum, folks like you (tzienlee) help us out with our errors, a lot!
          Last edited by 10scDust; 12-26-2019, 6:56 AM.

Comment

• tzienlee
            • Apr 2024

no one on this planet knows everything about everything on a motorcycle, so no need to explain why ya did it,
            we ALL fuck up now and again me included, I am just glad it has been sorted,
            I think that this is a bloody good example why sites like this exist,
            It's for those who have an idea or a bit of information that they are willing to pass on to others,
            I think the collective knowledge on this site could land someone on the moon,
            But with More Style than they did it with in 1969, hahahahahaha….
            well glad ya sorted things, hope ya'll had a great Christmas and the New Year is better than this one has been for all

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by 10scDust
              Thanks for that insight, i never thought about those physical stresses, but it makes sense.
              You're right, better safe than sorry.

update: I have a set of 2" overs ordered and on the way. I'll admit, for whatever reason I went this route, I feel sort of a dufus for doing so, I guess I never really investigated about them.

Thanks to this forum, folks like you (tzienlee) help us out with our errors, a lot!
              The group mind passed down information long before modern technology, it just moves faster today. Now you know and the information is preserved. Learning this shit before the web was expensive and very slow.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;