Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiktok
    • Jun 2016

Welding fork legs

I have a winter build going on and I am hoping for some advice from any experienced TIG welders on here.

I want to weld two brake caliper mounting points onto an OEM (‘49-77) fork leg. Has anyone done this, or should I not even bother?

I might be able to fabricate a mount to fit around the axle and mount off the mudguard holes, but I’m not sure that is any better?

Click image for larger version

Name:	92EE307B-F1AE-495D-BFF4-1E67BA6F9C63.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1345821

The setup is shaved 41mm forks in a Sportster yoke (bored out to 41mm). I need to remove the banana caliper mount as it overlaps the rotor (narrow glide yokes).

Click image for larger version

Name:	70209D05-F98C-4793-A96D-5E2CDE5D9B01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1345822
    Last edited by tiktok; 12-23-2019, 4:14 AM.
  • bobberadam
    • Jan 2011

Hey man! You have a question and want to post a thread because you don't know how to do something? That's cool. We don't mind, just do us a solid and hit "Back" on your browser and ask it in the correct forum. This is like chopper school and the students don't get to lead the class. Is that an apt example? Who

Comment

• tiktok
      • Jun 2016

Thanks

could you move the post to somewhere more appropriate for me?

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

If there's enough metal you could mill (or have milled) that stock tab to clear the rotor then make a plate bracket (mounted outside the tab for clearance and caliper offset choice) but your front view isn't close enough and the wheel blocks the view of the tab so I can't tell. Your front wheel is for equally ancient narrow glides but a later fork slider (there are a variety of caliper option styles) leaves room for plate style caliper adapters to run whatever you like. You could fill the excess room in the tab holes with bushings but they'd need to be flanged to capture it the tab. Since there's lots of room you might even turn flanged inner bushings bored so your caliper bolts are recessed into the inboard side of the tab (I had a similar 35mm narrow glide and chose not to use it because fuck the stock caliper and the work to adapt a different one.) I no longer have that fork slider so I can't measure it.

If no joy I'd use later Wide Glide tube/slider assemblies complete (dunno if just the sliders will swap) and Ebay that thing to someone who actually likes the (barf) caliper that came with it.

How much does the rotor conflict with the tab? More details help us help you.
        Last edited by farmall; 12-24-2019, 4:51 PM.

Comment

• ladycroft
          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by tiktok
          could you move the post to somewhere more appropriate for me?
          I don't understand. What do you mean?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;