X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leghorn
    • Dec 2019

1976 Ironhead Valve Gear Shimming Clarification

Hey Y'all

I'm in the heat of lacing up my 76' Ironhead and I got a question. Which side of the cam gears are you guys shimming. I've read all the threads (ty btw) and looked at the service manual and various youtube tutorials. The manual says shim both sides. I've seen people only shim the outside AND people only shim the inside. I've also seen the service bulletin that says there's no need to shim them. My technical background makes me think thats crazy. When I opened the case some of them (the inside ones) were sheared in a way that made them almost two shims. It make sense, to me, that you would only shim the outside because 1- the shoulder of the cam gear matches the size if the shim (so no shearing). 2- Cam #2's shims are bigger and can only be dropped in from the outside (cam cover side) keeping the gear alignment consistent. 3 - you don't have to take out all the gears and reset the timing after you measure the back play. I'm looking to do this in the next few days and would really appreciate any advice.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

I usually shim on both sides, but you are right, I have seen inside shims cut in half.

It REALLY does not matter, so do what you are comfortable with.

Shoot for .010 end play. Don't set it up to the ridiculous tight specs in the manual. Trust me on this.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

The easy way ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	1314749
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Sugarcubes
        • Apr 2024

ran my 79 for best part of 10 years with no shims. Never a problem with the cams or valvetrain.

Comment

• Leghorn
          • Dec 2019

Thanx for your help and insight guys. I laced it up a few weekends ago and got it to give me a smooth idle yesterday. I appreciate all the responses!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;