CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Banjo Brake Light Help

Hey guys, I've looked at a bunch of threads regarding the installation process of the banjo brake light but I'm still having issues with the wiring. I got rid of a bunch of wiring from my wiring harness on my 01 sporty and cleaned up the hand controls, which in doing so caused my brake light to stay lit all the time. I picked up a banjo brake light switch but I cannot figure out where to put the two red wires? My aftermarket brake light has two wires coming from it, blue and black. Do I connect the red wires to those? Not sure how I cant seem to get this but I literally have no clue how the to wire this up. Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

you can hook one of the red wires on your Switch to the positive
    wire on your brake light. (the other wire on the brake LIGHT should be grounded)
    the other red wire on the Switch goes to the positive from your breaker or fuse 12v+
    (or switched to the accessory contact on an ignition switch) that would be the preferred
    hookup.

Get Adobe Flash player

First it's important to learn to read the wiring diagram in your manual. Although at first can seem crazy confusing I assure you it is not that complicated and can be fun. Like doing a puzzle or following a little maze.

Anyhow. Brake light and switch is pretty simple.

Since your brake light has only 2 wires...
    1 wire will be your low running light which shoukd stay on all the time
    2nd wire will be your high bright light which comes on when brake is pressed.
    The body of the light needs to be grounded through the frame/fender/SISSY BAR etc or else I need to attach a wire to the housing of the light socket that holds the bulb. Might need to solder or something or attach ring terminal with bolt.

Anyhow. Wire 1 should have a constant 12 volts on it.

Wire 2 should follow a path that starts with a wire from your harness with 12 volts on it which runs to one red wire on your banjo switch, either one, doesnt matter, then on the other side you continue that path with the other red wire and it will go to wire 2 on your brake light. (High beam).
    A switch is like a bridge. When switch is open volts cant pass across. Press brake, close switch and let voltage travel to the high beam. Of course it needs to be able to get back to ground on thr battery somehow in order for it to do work, otherwise its just sitting still. So...you must ground the housing of the light.

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I haven't had a chance to mess with anything yet but I will soon and report back.

Alright so I hooked up one of the red switch wires to the blue wire coming out of the brake light which is also connected to the 15A breaker for the lights and it blew the fuse. I had the other red wire connected to the black wire (ground) since it seems like that's the only other wire to connect it to but the the fuse blowing seemed to be from connecting the red switch wire to the blue wire. I actually made a mistake, I have 3 wires coming out of my tail light and those wires are black, red and blue. I disconnected the red wire after taking off the handle bar controls because it didn't seem to have any difference on the tail light working or not but now I'm wondering if that could be part of the reason the fuse is blowing? I have a wiring diagram which helps but I'm still stumped here.

Get Adobe Flash player

I got rid of a bunch of wiring from my wiring harness on my 01 sporty and cleaned up the hand controls, which in doing so caused my brake light to stay lit all the time.
    EVO Sportster : Electrical System
    SWITCHES

Brake Switch - Front & Rear

The Front Brake Switch is installed between the brake lever & the master cylinder assembly. It is a normally closed switch, but the contacts are actually held open when the lever is not being pulled. When the lever is pulled to activate the front brake master cylinder, the brake switch is no longer pressed by the lever, the contacts now close and power is sent to the rear brake light. This switch is often damaged (causing the brake light to stay ON) by not paying close attention to the following caution from the manual regarding disassembly & assembly of the master cylinder or brake lever or right switch housing:

Do not remove or install the master cylinder assembly and do not remove the switch housing assembly without first placing a 5/32in (4mm) thick cardboard insert between the brake lever and lever bracket. Removing the assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger of the front stoplight switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sportster, evo,brakelight-taillight-wiring-1, sportsterpedia.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	98924

The Rear Brake Switch is installed in the rear brake hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the caliper, typically on the left side ahead of the caliper. It is a hydraulically activated switch, meaning that at a certain level of hydraulic pressure in the brake line, the switch closes to conduct power thru it to the rear brake light. (1986-2019 used the same rear brake switch, P/N 72023-51E. It's possible to also use a NAPA P/N ECH SL147.)3)

The front & rear brake switches are electrically connected in parallel. This means that either switch, when activated, will send power to the brake light (bright) element.

The front & rear brake switches are fed power on the ORANGE/White (ORANGE*) wire from the accessory power circuit (circuit breaker or fuse). When activated, either or both switches will supply power on the RED/Yellow (RED*) wire to the rear brake light (*1986-1993 models used solid color wires).

http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:evo:elec03
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 12-11-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: bold

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by asldjkls View Post
    I have a wiring diagram which helps but I'm still stumped here.
    Read everything that people have told you slowly several times..... Your not listening..........

Where did someone tell you to hook the other red wire to ground??????????

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok, even though the google machine has all of this info i can relate to wiring being overwhelming at first. See the below diagram i drew for you. The advice i will give you is, Get a test light and get a meter and learn how to use them, do your research on how they work, this will save you a lot of trouble. Think of electricity as a water pipe and the switch as a valve, close valve (no power to brake light) open valve (power to brake light). Hopefully this helps.

FYI your ground is the black wire, 12 volt power is red, and switch is blue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	98932
    Last edited by bobberadam; 12-11-2019 at 9:59 AM.

Thanks for the info guys! I was aware the brake light was staying on because of removing the hand control housings but I assumed the rear brake light would be able to function on its own. I'm not electrically inclined so this is all a very new process to me but I did print off the correct wiring diagram and just went at it. Bobberadam - thanks for the drawing, that helps big time! I should definitely be able to get it figured out now. Cheers!

Get Adobe Flash player

Best of luck.............. Just remember never hook up a hot directly to a ground.............. That's why you need a test light............ They are cheap.............

Share This