CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: EVO tappets

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default EVO tappets

Hi all ! My 85 evo engine has just racked up 40,000 miles. It all still runs and sounds sweet. People tell me that I should replace the lifters at this point. It runs a performance cam .

I am considering taking the top end off this winter (base gasket leaks, possibly replace the rings too). I think the lifters are stock harley- what do you guys reckon?

You would be wise to replace the tappets, 40 thousand miles is about their life expectancy. On the early tappets, you can replace the rollers, if you can find a good roller kit. Otherwise, the HD tappets or the HiLift Johnson tappets are good, for short money. I use the Feuling replacements these days, because I can get my hands on them easily, but they are more $$ for the same quality.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

S&S also offers a Hi-Quality tappet ...

And BMO .... (Those will dig deep in the pocket cause that will come with cast iron blocks)

Get Adobe Flash player

if it's running well why bother,? Like they say,.. 'If It Ain't Broke,... Don't Fix It''
    you are doing only 1050 a year on average which is nothing really, I'd be more worried about the absorption of water in to the oil,
    and emulsification (White Scum) will cause more damage than you think,...
    I'd ride it more and get it hot enough on long runs to boil the water out of the oil,
    not being used will kill any engine faster than most things I have found,..
    if you want to do something, get out on the road and ride the shit out of it,... $00.02
    Last edited by tzienlee; 12-09-2019 at 3:04 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Best way to know what's going on is remove the pushrod covers and tappet blocks, inspect the rollers and cam lobes using a BRIGHT FUCKING LIGHT and magnifying glass, then you won't have to wonder. I don't have any pics of roller/lobe wear where the hardface is thinning but nothing is scored, but someone else here should be able to post so you know what to look for.

Also inspect the tappet screen at the oil pump, the most ignored Harley inspection despite being very easy to do.

They typically last longer than 40k but since it takes trivial time to order parts there's no need to order until you actually know if you need anything.

I always keep a full engine gasket and seal set handy so I can grab what I need then replenish it later and that's a very convenient way to go. I don't bother replacing rollers as it's not worth my time but it's not difficult.

I deal with base gasket seepage (not blown gaskets) by not giving a fuck but if I lift a top end it gets inspected thoroughly including valve seats and gets new valve seals, and I replace the rings at minimum. Evo top ends last a long time and commonly go over 100K miles before requiring attention so if your gaskets aren't blown I'd perform a compression test which should be done anyway before a top end pull.

You lose nothing by inspection so ya can't go wrong.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    if it's running well why bother,?
    you are doing only 1050 a year on average which is nothing really, I'd be more worried about the oil absorption of water in to the oil,
    and emulsification (White Scum) will cause more damage than you think,...
    I'd ride it more and get it hot enough on long runs to boil the water out of the oil,
    not being used will kill any engine faster than most things I have found,..
    if you want to do something, get out on the road and ride the shit out of it,... $00.02
    Aha! Blame the previous owner for that mileage.. I ride it 3000+ p.a. , previous owner did 12,000 in 25 years! I drop the oil every autumn and replace the filter.

Message to all who responded -many thanks!!
    Last edited by Hoghead; 12-09-2019 at 3:10 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

cool, good to hear,... 90% of motor shit starts because of ignoring the Oil,.. we are all guilty of it, Me included at times but it really does help to keep a motor running well with greater spells between HAVING to do work and riding..... 7000 miles in 25 years !!!... you got a near new motor,... lucky man...…...

Get Adobe Flash player

cool, good to hear,... 90% of motor shit starts because of ignoring the Oil,.. we are all guilty of it, Me included at times but it really does help to keep a motor running well with greater spells between HAVING to do work and riding..... 7000 miles in 25 years !!!... you got a near new motor,... lucky man...…...
    Yeah, I couldn't believe i'd found a mint FXR with so little mileage. The girlfriend was fed up with having her sweet cheeks beat by my hardtail. The owner had paid for some good motor upgrades in the US (carb, filter, Branch heads,hot cam, new ignition) It runs sweet. His choice of exhaust sucked , so a mate of mine recommended a V&H 2 into one. Currently I run a Harrison fourpot caliper and floating disc on the front . but have also run a GMA four pot, cos the original front brake was shit.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yah, stock single piston HD front brakes are pathetic shit even with dual discs. Any 2-into-1 beats drag pipes which strangle engines (I had to downjet my FXR when I sampled a set which I promptly removed).

Congrats on the FXR. Other Harleys are for looking cool when parked. Rubber Glides are for function and they do that very well. They're a breeze to maintain and upgrade since there aren't many FXR-specific parts so feel free to flog it and take it anywhere.

Buy or download the factory parts book and service manual. I collect the other years too and it's money well spent.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks-I have an alloy framed FXR clone too now-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rmd.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	98901

keeps me from modding the old FXR too much, I enjoy it as it is..

Get Adobe Flash player

I just found out about the life of the roller bearings on evos the hard way. Got an Electra Glide Ultra Classic, and at about 53k one of the rollers went, and took the cam with it. It's a lot cheaper to replace the lifters before it needs it, especially if you are happy with the cam that is in it now. Wish someone would have mentioned this to me before it happened, instead of commenting after the fact with, "Oh, yeah, that's about right."

Get Adobe Flash player

Holy ... Get the fuk over in the fast lane ... Batman .... !!

That's yours.... ??
    (Can I ride it .??) ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-09-2019 at 4:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

nice,... who did the frame and swingarm?....

Quote Originally Posted by WillSCB View Post
    I just found out about the life of the roller bearings on evos the hard way. Got an Electra Glide Ultra Classic, and at about 53k one of the rollers went, and took the cam with it. It's a lot cheaper to replace the lifters before it needs it, especially if you are happy with the cam that is in it now. Wish someone would have mentioned this to me before it happened, instead of commenting after the fact with, "Oh, yeah, that's about right."
    That's why I suggested tappet replacement. I've seen the ugly results of not doing it, and for the cost of a set of tappets, I consider them a wear item. Unfortunately, inspection will not tell you if failure is imminent, unless the failure has already begun.

I've seen one worn through the roller to the axle. The owner said it never made any noise. (Evo hydraulics are quiet.)

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

once,..ONCE when smoking vast amounts of Hash about30 years ago,
    I installed two tappet blocks in the wrong holes in the case of an old 45,...
    the rollers were running 90* to the cam,.... it ran,.. it ran well,... but when it got too noisy I took it apart for a look
    & found what I had done, stupid mistake I know but I gotta say it never died or anything like that ,
    it was still running but with a real nasty sound ….
    changed the tappets and 2 cams and was on the road in 3 days.
    the rollers were not nice but still all together,but the two cam lobes had been slowly machined with the radius of the roller,.
    I was very surprised at the lack of damage and thought myself lucky,...
    have not built a motor on Hash since then and no more fuck ups, hahahahahaah

Get Adobe Flash player

That was you ... ???

It was on a 71 GE ... wasn't it ... ??

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    That was you ... ???

It was on a 71 GE ... wasn't it ... ??
    it was me but with a 43 WLC I had years ago,... this one.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 718.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

nice,... who did the frame and swingarm?....
    NWS in the UK , for a shop called RMD in Reading.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post

Holy ... Get the fuk over in the fast lane ... Batman .... !!

That's yours.... ??
    (Can I ride it .??) ...
    Yes, it's mine. Funny what you find on ebay. The shop that built these made about 12. I think you'd enjoy riding it.

Get Adobe Flash player

it was me but with a 43 WLC I had years ago,... this one.....
    Didn't I see that one rolling round the Windsor area about 40 years ago? Nice!

Share This