Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

Panhead Head Bolt Tool recomendations

Spent this afternoon pulling everything I needed and am all ready to pull the heads on my bike but have run into an issue. The mo0tor is pretty fresh, maybe 2,000 miles on it and it has 12 Point bolts for the heads. I first tried a 7/16" x 12 point flex socket but I don't want to put to much force on the socket. I then tried an old Craftsman box end wrench with a helper and bent the body of the wrench!

I really hate taking a torch to the motor with it in the frame, but I am guessing that is my next step, to heat up the heads that is. Before I go that route, is there a "special wrench" for this job?

I am open to suggestions, thanks,
    -DB
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

What kind of head bolts do you have??????? 7/16???????? Who put them on???????

I wouldn't torch it unless they used locktite............. If it were me I would ask who ever put it together if they did something stupid like that...........

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

The best thing to use to loosen head bolts is the HD 3/8 drive tool, which has a 90 degree bend on each end and different length legs. You could duplicate one by heating and bending a long 3/8 drive extension. Use appropriate socket.

Next best is a 3/8 drive torque adapter and a breaker bar. (The torque adapter is essential to torque the bolts upon assembly.) BUT, on a pan, you may not have enough room for the torque adapter on the two bolts between the cylinders. (No problem on a shovel.)

Jim

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Torque adapter ordered, will start there and make sure I can break the to inner ones loose.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Yea they work very well.......... But a 7/16????? Why???????
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Somewhere down though that motor's life, the headbolts was changed out from the Oem 9/16" 6 point bolts to the 12 point 7/16"....
              S&S been using the 7/16" for eons ....

Max Torque on those Bad-Boys is 65 lbs ..
              (That's dang near two grunts and a fart for the one's that go by the seat of the pants method)

(If you soil your knicker's .... You over-torqued em)
              Last edited by Dragstews; 12-08-2019, 7:04 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                • Oct 2016

These are S&S, what was on there was 70's chopper acorns.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                  These are S&S, what was on there was 70's chopper acorns.
                  So they were cool looking????????

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    12 points makes for much easier access working the bolts than 6 points do...

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                      12 points makes for much easier access working the bolts than 6 points do...
                      I get that....... But a 7/16 for a head bolt?????????

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        LOL anything but, this poor old girl was not treated well in the later part of her life.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                          LOL anything but, this poor old girl was not treated well in the later part of her life.
                          I really like acorn nuts myself....... just in case you don't believe me.......LOL
                          Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by JBinNC
                            The best thing to use to loosen head bolts is the HD 3/8 drive tool, which has a 90 degree bend on each end and different length legs. You could duplicate one by heating and bending a long 3/8 drive extension. Use appropriate socket.

Next best is a 3/8 drive torque adapter and a breaker bar. (The torque adapter is essential to torque the bolts upon assembly.) BUT, on a pan, you may not have enough room for the torque adapter on the two bolts between the cylinders. (No problem on a shovel.)

Jim
                            I strongly agree and those bent extensions are the standard home modded tool since forever. Makers should use a quality extension and don't forget to hang another extension off that one or a close fit cheater tube for the extra leverage and finer control that offers.

Those new to bending extensions should use another, longest available extension to hold the square drive end while bending and protect the ball detent spring from being annealed by the torch. The tool still works without it but the detent beats chasing loose sockets around the shop.

I get that....... But a 7/16 for a head bolt?????????
                            Smaller heads permit for easier access. That's why (along with slightly lighter weight irrelevant on a motorcycle) that bolt in an aircraft application would have a 7/16" 12 pt. head. Of course aircraft bolt specs tend to be superior and typical aircraft mechanics use quality tools so the small size poses no stripping issues and doesn't result in many split sockets.

Comment

• armand
                              • Jan 2012

[QUOTE=farmall;834766]I strongly agree and those bent extensions are the standard home modded tool since forever. Makers should use a quality extension and don't forget to hang another extension off that one or a close fit cheater tube for the extra leverage and finer control that offers.

Those new to bending extensions should use another, longest available extension to hold the square drive end while bending and protect the ball detent spring from being annealed by the torch.

I am having trouble grasping this. Could someone post a pic of the bent extension?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;