Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidS
    • Jun 2019

23” x 3.5 front wheel on shovelhead FLH

Dose anybody here has any experience with a 23” 3.5 front wheel in FLH front end? Any issues with the fender clearance?
    Looking to get the 23” 3.5 spoke set up from JP cycles.
    Thx
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Nope not me......... I didn't even have a big wheel when I was a kid.......... Just a Schwinn 1968 Lemon Peeler............. That I traded a kid two bicycles for........ The kid had taken it apart for some reason and lost interest in it and then he put it behind there garage..........

I still have it........ But no Big Wheels.............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 12-04-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

I just think they look stupid,.. certainly not ''Cool'', …. . $00.02

Comment

• bobberadam
        • Jan 2011

Well, are you talking about height clearance or width??? what size wheel and tire is on it now? How much clearance do you have with your current set up? Are you going to be running a front brake, what is needed for adjustment there? If you are talking about height, 34 seconds of google search gave me the answers...

23" tire overall height 29.3" (from JP cycles)
        21" Avon speedmaster 27.2"
        19" Avon speedmaster 25.2"

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bobberadam
          If you are talking about height, 34 seconds of google search gave me the answers...
          LOL Yep but taking 34 seconds out of a day to look something up is uncalled for............

Comment

• bobberadam
            • Jan 2011

HAHA, true... I am all for helping people but a tape measure and a quick google search can be invaluable...

Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1314584

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Come on, if ya wanna go big, go big old skool!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pennyfarthing cycles.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1314585

Go big or go home!
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

^^^^^^ Yep....^^^^^^^^ Don't just act like you want big go big..............

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

The bagger world has all the info you seek so check bagger forums. They build every flavor of big wheel front end.

Remember the height of the axle will increase by half the wheel diameter increase.

The bagger world has a variety of conversion triple clamps if you don't want to hack up the frame to get more rake.

You can air ride to look cool when parked. He used a modded RK front end:
                  Custom 1975 Harley-Davidson FLH Photo: Mark Fountain I purchased the bike back in 2003 on my 21st birthday. It was then that I got the urge to buy my first bike. The bike’s previous owner was an old family friend, and he moved to Chicago where it basically sat for years. After a few phone […]
                  Last edited by farmall; 12-05-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• TB
                    • Jan 2013

It's not a FLH obviously, but it is running a 23". I like it. It looks balanced.

Last edited by TB; 12-05-2019, 7:00 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Rim width and tire size affect the appearance. That wheel and tire combo look natural and good on that flathead but the bike is slender and narrow.

Comment

• hillcat
                        • Mar 2015

The rim looks fine, it's the knobby tire...

Comment

• Bbqbiker
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by hillcat
                          The rim looks fine, it's the knobby tire...
                          Duh! It’s a dual sport you rube.....I’m thinking about putting knobs on my chopper to do you know how many times I’ve ridden and I just want to bang a left on an interesting looking dirt road? If I had motocross tires It’s game on bro I’m hittin sand washes and mudholes and probably some jumps too.

Problem solved!

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Bbqbiker
                            Duh! It’s a dual sport you rube.....I’m thinking about putting knobs on my chopper to do you know how many times I’ve ridden and I just want to bang a left on an interesting looking dirt road? If I had motocross tires It’s game on bro I’m hittin sand washes and mudholes and probably some jumps too.

Problem solved!
                            FFFTT! I've done all that, minus the jumps, on my shovel FLH with the usual Dunlops. The sand washes are the worst, you can't slow down, or God forbid, stop, or you are stuck for sure. Four speed frames work pretty good on dirt. Not for nuthin' a skid plate was included in the design.

As for the OP, relax, that big wheel fad will pass, like every other fad, and you will be glad you saved the coin and didn't fuck up yer good ol' scoot.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Knobbies didn't last on the street on my 250. Something with a tread like the Shinkos popular on scramblers and with ADV riders would be optimal for fire road fun.

BTW the main reason flatheads, Knucks and Pans had fat front tires is most US roads were dirt when they were designed. Dick Mann mentions running a rear tire up front on an early flat tracker for more traction in his bio.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;