CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1971 bonneville rebuild, how to get oil to top of engine without starting?

Trying to prime motor after rebuild... can't get oil to the top of the engine from the oil tank, the pump works. Is there a prime procedure? Tips? Tricks? Advice? ( throwing in a dumpster has been considered multiple times, i'm in way too deep at this point )

Disconnect top end oil line and prime with a squirt oil can (can and oil clean, clean, clean).

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Take the plugs out and kick away............

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bluexcollar View Post
    Trying to prime motor after rebuild... can't get oil to the top of the engine from the oil tank, the pump works.
    It must not be working to well if it's not getting oil through the motor...............

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    It must not be working to well if it's not getting oil through the motor...............
    Top end oils from the oil return. It won't oil at kicking speed.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Disconnect top end oil line and prime with a squirt oil can (can and oil clean, clean, clean).

Jim
    This!

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    Well that's good to know.......... So where does the oil go when you kick the bike without the plugs in it????????

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    yup this^^^.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil squirt can.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	98650

Let us now how you make out.

Forgot to ask about your oil tank and how lines are connected...is it the original oil tank or an aftermarket one? where does the line for the rockers come from? Is there the factory restriction in the return pipe inside the tank to provide pressure to the rocker oil line?
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 11-26-2019 at 8:23 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The factory ran a bypass off the oil return, I dont recall the ID sizes but the return line is say #2 pencil dia on the ID, and the top end bypass is a T off that line and that line is tiny and about a 1/16th of an inch ID.

Depends on the bike. 500 units ran a stand alone T fitting while some units ran the T right on the return line pipe on the oil bag. The OIF 1971 and later frames ran a small fitting off the frame for the top end.

After market oil bags rarely have a provision for the top end oiling but the ones that do usually get it wrong and often a totally huge oil pipe T. Some crimp them (Not very precise). Webco and other companies offered a Cast oil feed that bolts on the rocker boxs and has a small pipe fitting on the back, I kind of like those, 2 styles often, one preunit style and a rougher cast fins for unit bikes.

The best setup, is get rid of the T fitting bypass altogether and run a metered feed off the pressurized side of the oil system (Off the timing cover or the pressure relief valve. Its detailed on the Tech for the BSA B50 webpage, and many people use a small amal brass carb jet, but nice thing is you can fine tune the feed, more or less.

Return line oil is overdriven so it can be sluggish, spit, sputter and aerated with lots of air in it, Not a reliable way to feed the top end, plus its the dirty side, so kinda dumb. Good enough for the factory but not a great idea.

Id be more concerned about oil circulating properly on startup. When I start up a bike thats been parked or rebuilt, I open the rocker caps and feed some in with a squirt can. Then monitor oil with a pressure gauge and watch the oil return.

**IF** Oil is not returning, then there is a checklist of tests you can do, but be sure you have the oil lines on RIGHT. Many people get it wrong and destroy a motor. Another thing is the history of the motor,,, I am ASS-U-ME that you DID clean out the sludge trap right?? Please tell me you did and sparkly clean inside there?

Heres what I hope you cleaned out.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sludgetrapimg523.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	98661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sludgetrap397.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	98662

Default ignition timing / magneto

All good with the oil, was just paranoid expected it to build up faster

.. bike won't fire, something seems off with the ignition timing and the mag, have good spark fuel etc theres no reference mark,

one cylinder just wont get hot, bike wants to run.

any ideas? thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

.. bike won't fire, something seems off with the ignition timing and the mag, have good spark fuel etc theres no reference mark,

one cylinder just wont get hot, bike wants to run.

any ideas? thanks.
    You need to start by posting something that makes sense............. First you say the bike won't fire and something seems off........... Then you say in the same sentence only one cylinder will get hot and the bike wants to run................. Which is it, it can't be both............

You really need to sit down and tell us what the bike is actually really doing so people can help you...................
    Last edited by Tattooo; 11-27-2019 at 4:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

All good with the oil, was just paranoid expected it to build up faster

This doesn't make sense either............. What did you do to figure out it was getting oil?????????

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    It should oil at kicking speeds. Mine does, visibly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by datadavid View Post
    Yep, If it's working properly it should.............

Quote Originally Posted by datadavid View Post
    Yours is primed, his ain't.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    Yea that's what I thought the OP was trying to do???????? So there is no way to get it to prime until you start it??????

If its on wheels drag it around the block in 4th with the sparkplugs out. Should get the oil circulating with little or no heat involved. If you get it started have the return line in a container until you see it coming out the line. usually works on Harleys and Indians. 2 cents

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    Well, for priming i have used both lube can and pressurized air in the feed hose to the pressure pump, it can be a bit slow in the beginning before all the air pockets are gone, just squirt away with the lube can while kicking over until you can see the pump suck oil from the feed line. To see anything from the return will take a few seconds after starting the engine first time on priming, especially if there is a return line oil filter installed. Those are golden, everyone should have one. Clean, cooler oil to the valves! After that first startup one should be able to see oil moving up the head feed with a clear hose installed while kicking it over , hot or cold.

Share This