Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fxenewbie
    • Apr 2019

Broken clutch splines

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this...so I'm tearing my bike down to get it hard tailed and I kinda sorta fucking destroyed my clutch...yes I know it's fucking bad but I got to get this bad Larry out so I can replace it. Can any of you wizards help me out and tell me what I gotta do to get it out of my primary?...
    Here's a pic....go easy on me lolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191122_181937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	1345766
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Now ya did it ....

You got a fire wench handy .. ???

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Fxenewbie
      • Apr 2019

I got a butane torch ��

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Fxenewbie
        I got a butane torch ��
        In the immortal words of the old smurf............... It'll NEVER work..................

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Here's a pic....go easy on me lol[ATTACH=CONFIG]98579[/ATTACH]

Ok I'm gonna ask....... How the fuck did you do that??????????? I've never seen that before...........

At least you posted a pic..............

Comment

• Fxenewbie
            • Apr 2019

Trying to do loosen the clutch by hand holding it back with a lowbrow tool and well...they snapped

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Trying to do loosen the clutch by hand holding it back with a lowbrow tool and well...they snapped
              Gotta shove the tool down to the base of the studs or you will bend them, or.....

Best quick solution, put the puller on the studs that are left and weld a nut on top of each. Then pull the hub and cut the puller off. You will need a new hub anyway.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Now you know why there is so many holes in the tool............... But it looks like you got the nut off.................. So it did work........

There is an easier way.......

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Now to get the hub off ....

Welding nuts to the remaining studs and using the puller just may be the ticket as long as the puller has room to work..

Heat will work also .... By warming the hub up and having a Buddy with two Lady's Foot pry bars between the hub and inner primary case (Don't get Popeye'd with the amount of force with those pry-bars) and reinstalling the clutch hub nut back on (Not all the way) take a piece of hard-wood and a hammer to the nut... The hub should jump right off ..
                  Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Fxenewbie
                    • Apr 2019

Ok I'll give it a shot this week, thanks for the help everyone I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Do both at once. The methods don't interfere with and do complement each other! Pry bars reduce the force needed on the puller which could avoid breaking the remaining studs. The puller reduces the force you must apply to the inner primary casting via the heels of the pry bars.

Weld the nuts and use lady's foot bars (3 piece sets are common) with plenty of heat. [/B] Once set the puller maintains tension freeing you to pry on the bars while shocking the puller with a hammer.

If you can get a proper torch (common propane torches suck) like an acetylene-air or oxy-acetylene you can put more heat to the hub much more quickly. If not, the largest nozzle you can hang off a common torch may have to do.

I would slide a piece of tubing over the transmission shaft end to protect it whatever you do. I've done the welded nut method due to wasted threads (not wasted by me!) but the ladys foot (I fucking love that prybar style after using them for alignment bars) method Dragstews mentions should work well and it's basically what those bars are for. They're a classic for shifting shaft mounted parts where a puller isn't suitable.

Good to know the Lowbrow tool is tough. Send them a photo, maybe you'll get some swag.
                      Last edited by farmall; 11-23-2019, 5:19 PM.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                        • Sep 2014

This whole pry bar thing has me very uneasy. Do it the way Jim said period.
                        Like Tattoo said "How the fuck did you even do that ????".
                        If he's capable of that he's definitely capable of breaking the case with a pry bar.

Comment

• nuklhd
                          • Sep 2013

did you even read in you thread about the lowbrow tool you asked about me saying you can make a good clutch tool out of an old plate and bolting a handle to it? It would have at least saved money in this mess.

Comment

• Fxenewbie
                            • Apr 2019

Yes I did, I got impatient and bought one,I mean the tool works as if should I definitely damages the spindles trying to wrench off my nut and probably used my puller incorrectly....oh well live and learn o guesa

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Yes I did, I got impatient and bought one,I mean the tool works as if should I definitely damages the spindles trying to wrench off my nut and probably used my puller incorrectly....oh well live and learn o guesa
                              If you don't have access to air you need to invest in an electric impact gun............ They are GREAT for taking things off and should NEVER be used to put something on with.............

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;