Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudyod
    • Apr 2013

Oil Tank Cap/Plug

So I have two Santee hex wrap around oil tanks with the side fill tubes. The fill tube ID on both is 1 1/8” as opposed to the standard HD 1 1/4”. Does anyone know where I might be able to find an original Santee cap/plug or some other aftermarket plug with the ID I need? And I know I could just have one machined to spec or replace the tube with the 1 1/4” pipe but I thought I’d check with you chuckleheads first.
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

May be sleeve it with copper pipe or something? Exhaust pipe? Just thinking

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

If the tanks are unplated I'd probably replace the pipes if I didn't have a lathe. If they are plated I'd have a cap machined or use a plumbers test plug.

You can tighten plumbers test plugs so they won't blow out, unlike the other options. They work just like (permanent) automotive expanding "freeze plugs".

There are many styles, but you can find them with simple wing nuts. If the nuts and washers are not brass or stainless you can replace them with brass or stainless.

Cherne® Mechanical Test Plugs can be used in a wide variety of applications including DWV and Stack Testing. With a variety of end-of-pipe and inside-of-pipe options available, it’s easy to find the right mechanical test plug for the job.
      Last edited by farmall; 11-22-2019, 6:44 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

I saw that Custom Chrome has some Santee stuff - not sure if it is the 'new' Santee though;
        their online catalog shows oil caps, not sure of size but has part numbers you could use to find out more from them;
        see page 4.53:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	0453_thumbs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1314383
        Custom Chrome Since 1970. Custom Chrome® has been an independent supplier of aftermarket parts and accessories for Harley-Davidson® motorcycles for over half a century.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Shaving 1/8" off the OD of a rubber bodied plug would be quick and easy with a sander or grinder.

Comment

• rudyod
            • Apr 2013

Thanks for the replies gents. The tanks are both plated so a new fill tube is probably a last resort. Just can’t believe that 1) Santee would make tanks with a non-standard fill tube ID, and 2) there doesn’t seem to be any plugs around that match that ID.

FWIW, I’m currently using a rubber stopper which has worked fine. I just want something that looks like it belongs on bike.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

When Santee sells non-standard parts they get to sell non-standard replacement parts, in this case instantly eliminating every existing plug which isn't that OD. Not everything good for the customer is good for the seller.

You could make a sexier stopper style plug by finding a knob design you like and tapping it to fit the threads of an expanding test plug. Ebay etc has plenty of knobs and you can buy them undrilled from industrial suppliers. That would get you a superior plug to the push-in style that looks good too.
              Last edited by farmall; 11-23-2019, 8:31 PM.

Comment

• flatman
                • Sep 2017

Sorry just reread my reply and realized I am a dumb ass with the sleeving reply. You need the hole bigger not smaller. Math never was my strong suit. "blame it on the whiskey and gin"

Comment

• 70fatster
                  • Jan 2013

I tried all sorts of the rubber caps, and they seemed to either vibrate loose or blow off and make a mess.
                  I bought a T-handle stainless boat drain plug and adapted it to a chrome cap and it's never come off again.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;