When was te last time you pulled a 5 foot long crank?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

When was te last time you pulled a 5 foot long crank?

1953 Packard 327 Super Thunderbolt straight eight, sometime it's a lot of work to know someone for 50 years.
    Dusty
    Last edited by DustyDave; 11-20-2019, 7:57 PM.
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​
  • Hoghead
    • Jun 2015

Thank God this wasn't one of Farmall's posts ...

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
      • Apr 2012

Yes, not often though. I have a photo of a inline 12 from a fire engine down in Texas when I was there. But the Packard motor is a sweet machine.

Hope you dont mind, but I am going to give props to my buddy Swanny, Who was a door gunner in Bien Hoa Vietnam and one hell of a cool guy. (In his career he was also a Portland Fireman and now retired, builds rat rods for fun). Swanny does a lot for veterans and built this car (One of many he has built) as a tribute for veterans. If you are a vet, you can sign the car and he carries a cup holder with sharpies. My signature is on the valve cover near the front.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Swannycar3p4594.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1314343

The car is a BITSA or,, a Johnny Cash car. Its parts from many different vehicles. the motor is a straight 8 Packard and much of it is from a Vietnam era Helicopter that used to be on the roof of Sgt Gators Army Surplus store in Boring Oregon (now different owner and the store is relocated up the road in Damascus Oregon, I shop there often!) . Swanny installed the controls and some of the instruments from the Chopper as well as many other parts including the fuel ports.

He often attends car shows and cruise ins and sometimes carries a life size cut out of Jane Fonda covered in Plexi glass and encourages people to spit on it. There is a bottle of windex off to the side, We call her "Sanitary Jane", Ill dig out a picture at the American Legion Car show.

Swanny a few years ago drove this car from Portland Oregon to Washington DC for the Memorial day event at the Vietnam veterans wall. He aint no spring chicken but there & back advocating for veterans all the way.

Name:	Swannycar4p4445.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1314342

**Funny footnote, He was nearly forced off the road & avoided many wrecks along the way because people would pull up next to him doing 70 on the interstate and be staring so hard or trying to snap a photo with their crackberry they lost lane situational awareness and Swanneys waving his arm and yelling "Watch out!".

Name:	Swannycar5p160.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1314340Click image for larger version

Name:	Swannycar1p2664922.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1314341

local media wrote about him as well if you are interested. I also have a video clip with the car in it and running while he tunes the carb with his pocket knife at our vintage MC club picnic and show if anyones interested.

See: https://pamplinmedia.com/go/42-news/...re-has-a-story

** Anyrate, Hope you dont mind my inserting my $0.02 here.

**If for some reason it interests you, Heres one of the Units, Caspers, Spartans and others flew in and out of there. Only a few miles from the Iron Triangle and later years the siege of many missions were flown out of there as well.

But heres a unit page with many stories and photos, more photo albums in the tabs.

See: http://190thahc.com/unit_member_stories

Gunners git some!

The following year all hell broke loose during the Tet Offensive and base was attacked and outnumbered 5-1. Also played a big role later with the siege at Khe Sanh
      Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 11-21-2019, 2:58 AM.

Comment

• hillcat
        • Mar 2015

Doug, that car is awesome although I would change those wheels to some chromed reverse w/ baby Moon's.
        The part of your story about his Jane Fonda cracked me up. Great idea!

Comment

• Mwatson
          • Apr 2019

Totally thought we were talking about pulling a different crank. I was going to say. "not that long," but it's a different "crank."

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Hoghead
            Thank God this wasn't one of Farmall's posts ...
            I have no idea what you might mean by that.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;