Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dougtheinternetannoyance123
    • Apr 2012

Ive got both CV and S&S Super/Short Es and like them both. **IF you go CV, go to this site and follow their instructions and buy their kits. Well worth it.
    See: https://cv-performance.com/
    Fair disclosure, I HATE CV carbs on everything I have ran across, especially Asian 4 carb racks of them on 4cyls,, never can get them to run consistent across all 4. So when I ran into them on some Sportsters and a buell I was prepared to hate them as well.
    I had a few people tell me how good they can be if dialed in. I learned that I was wrong to hate ALL CVs,, I still do on other bikes but the HD CV (Keihen or whoever makes them) is a damn good carb.

The CV Performance site is a treasure trove, see the tech posts, But I can say the guy who runs it treated me real well and is really good at standing behind his parts as well as customer service & Tech support. I was impressed.

However there IS tons of used S&S carbies out there,, I like them as well,, not as sophisticated but well made and easy to run. There was one in the classifieds a few days ago, cheap! $$$ I think $125?? (Maybe I was hallucinating?) I picked up another on ebay last year. It also went cheap, was almost brand new. Probably less than an hours run time. No one else bid and I got it super good deal, but the Douche Nozzle seller jacked me around on the shipping,, It finally got resolved ( I think he had sellers remorse or was bummed it didnt get more bids)

I see people sell bodies and other parts off them too. About the only thing that goes wrong with them, except idiots who damage them is the throttle shafts get loose but thats repairable (Sleeve/bushing)

Used CV take offs come up a lot as well. Not hard to find.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
      • Apr 2024

Yeah i was a bit sceptical at first as I had also seen a couple of old posts about dodgy knock offs with really out-of-whack measurements etc but some of these are really well done and you can get a bargain. There were some good looking Mikuni HSR42 and Super E replicas but as I know my way around a CV and had a few spare jets / needles already, I decided to go that route. Slung a 46 low jet, 190 high and a CV performance needle in it and it runs perfect. Its worth checking them out.

This is the shop I got mine from

Also, its amazing the difference using the stock keihin jets and a CV needle rather than the Dynojet kit. The performance delivery is much better, spread across the rev band and no longer do I get puffs of black smoke from the pipes when I crack the throttle at idle. No amount of tuning of the idle mixture would prevent that with the Dynojet kit i had previously!
      Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2019, 5:28 AM.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

I will second your observation about using Keihin jet kits rather than the Dynojet kits. The Dynojet stuff gets removed whenever I find it, in favor of Keihin parts. Performance ALWAYS improves.

Jim

Comment

• seaking
          • Jul 2013

I have a Super E body I'll dig out during lunch here.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

About the only thing that goes wrong with them, except idiots who damage them is the throttle shafts get loose but thats repairable (Sleeve/bushing)
            Those should be repaired according to S&S instructions for best bushing/shaft alignment. The "extreme wear" instructions are the most precise and what I would use for any rebush, but even at high mileage I've not managed to wear out any bushings.

Comment

• holmanrd
              • Nov 2019

seaking, if you find it, would you be interested in selling?

Found a body locally but the guys is going back and forth on me so he may flake out.

Comment

• holmanrd
                • Nov 2019

Thank you all for the great info and links.

Definitely has turned into hours and hours of reading carb specs and how to set ups.

Even if I rebuild this Super E I may grab a used CV and see what this stock motor likes best.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

The CV is a great carb for a stock engine. The point of an S&S is a large bore for more ponies on a modified engine but that sexy air cleaner housing sells a lot of carbs. You can never have too many carbs and I make sure to have a tested ready spare for troubleshooting (and swapout when another bike insists on following me home).

Comment

• seaking
                    • Jul 2013

Sent you a pm.

Comment

• patmacinnis
                      • Mar 2016

Comment

• holmanrd
                        • Nov 2019

I seemed to have locked myself out.

Will read your pm and respond as soon as I pull my head out of my ass.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;