Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

It was the most ill riding POS I have ever ridden in my life...........
    Doesn't look like it was setup properly.

The linkages need to be parallel to each other. It appears the upper and lower linkage pivot points on the trees are closer together than the ones on the girder legs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Knuckle, tattooo, CC, girder, bad attitude, splayed linkages.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1314300

This will create binding and weird arcing.

You should have had a spacer on the neck post so the distance between the linkage pivot points at the trees were the same distance apart as the linkage pivot points on the legs.

Think that if you took the linkages off, you could mount the girder legs directly on the trees.

Also. looks like your 'attitude' was wrong...well, not your attitude, LOL, but the attitude of the linkages; from CHB Girder Build pdf: the best attitude for the linkages is the front pivot 1" higher than the pivot on the tree. Looks like you got a bad attitude..or I mean, the linkage setup on your girder had a bad attitude.

These things probably contributed to your "most ill riding" experience with that awesome lookin' long girder.
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 11-18-2019, 6:37 PM. Reason: pic
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      Think that if you took the linkages off, you could mount the girder legs directly on the trees.

LOL I did take it off............. LOL I sold it.............

I like what I have now much better, Plus it looks way better to me...... It's cleaner looking..........

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by motornmercantile
        Hey guys, can anyone tell me how to determine the offset of of a girder front end? I’m thinking the length of the linkages? But can’t find anything on the web specifically about this. Raking a neck and need to figure this out to determine angle thanks
        Short answer, yes.
        Centerline of the neck and centerline of the girder fork, (not necessarily linkage lengths as they may be mounted in different positions on the trees or legs) is your offset.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• motornmercantile
          • Jul 2017

TriNort- understood thanks

Tattoo- hoping you’ll laugh at this...but when you changed to a Harmon setup you changed your offset drastically. Plus if I could afford that setup I’d be paying someone else to have this convo

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Tattoo- hoping you’ll laugh at this...but when you changed to a Harmon setup you changed your offset drastically.
            Yep I understand that, But remember I didn't consider the trail when I made my choice of a front end.............

But to be fair to the girder that was on the bike, It was about worn out and I have never liked the looks of a girder............ So I knew it was gone before I rode or paid for the bike............ LOL

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Tattoo- Plus if I could afford that setup I’d be paying someone else to have this convo
              I totally understand but I was trying to remember...... I believe I only gave $500.00 for the Harmon less the wheel........... It was also worn out but I rebuilt it.......

Comment

• Luky
                • May 2018

Ok so here is where I’m getting the idea that the length of the linkages (ie- links connecting the tree to leg assembly) determines the offset. I found this quote on a couple deferent sites-

“ Offset-- Centerline of top of steering neck to centerline of top of fork tubes.“

I can only find offset described in relation to springer set ups tho, like in the attached pic. On a girder the front legs sit 4-5” from the center of the triple post depending on the length of the links. I realize that # changes as the legs travel in their “j” pattern. But to determine a base can anyone confirm the linkages determine offset in a girder setup?
                Those " linkages" you mentioned are called triple trees

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;