X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadRiverMoCo
    • Oct 2013

Settle a question for me

Moving an Evo Dyna Driveline into rigid frame

Do we need to swap the rubber mount Dyna for a softail transmission to make the 5speed work In a v-twin 51-1948 frame

I have an opinion. Was told by someone with a phone my opinion was not important. They knew.

So...

Is there a tranny plate for a 1995 Dyna 5speed to mount in a 4 speed rigid frame?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

If you have a four speed frame, you will need a Softail transmission case and a transmission mount plate that will position it correctly in the frame. Paughco offers such a plate.

You will need a Softail inner primary to match the transmission case as well.

The last one of these swaps I have seen needed the transmission top cover cut and patch welded to clear the seat post in the frame.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

You might want to run a open primary when using a V-T frame ...

Reason being the alignment between motor and trans is out in left field due to the motor mounts welded in at a tilt..
      Motor will be sitting in the frame tilted to the front with the front rocker box almost touching the frame legs and a huge gap between the rear rocker box to seat post ....

Also doesn't the Dyna trans case bolt to the rear of the motor case ... ???
      Last edited by Dragstews; 11-17-2019, 12:36 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
        • Oct 2013

So...

I was right!

There is no tranny plate to make a Dyna five speed bolt into a 4 speed frame!

Yes!

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by MadRiverMoCo
          So...

I was right!

There is no tranny plate to make a Dyna five speed bolt into a 4 speed frame!

Yes!
          In this case,

I actually hate being right. I did stop the parts from being ordered (and I’m not sure I wouldn’t have had whatever frame was ordered make a stop in Raritan with Mike47)

I told them there was no simple bolt up solution for the Dyna Evo. Softail Evo? Yep. Evo motor? Yep. Dyna Evo Drivetrain? I don’t think so, but I’d love to be wrong.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

You can use a Softail tranny ...

Or a five in a four A/M case ...

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

The "easy bolt up solution" is a different rigid frame, but if customer has a hardon for the classic HD layout he needs the classic primary/gearbox arrangement. Path of lowest cost to get the classic layout with seat post between engine and trans is a Softail case (including covers and minor differing parts because the Dyna top cover is different) with adapter plate, Softail primary complete etc. Being that frame is a rigid there's no swingarm to notch the trans case for. Transmissions really are simple to swap into a different case but just buying a used Softail box complete may be cheaper than the labor and parts total to swap. Leaving all the Dyna shit intact should make it easier to sell. The Dyna primary cases and chain won't work either due to different length but chains aren't expensive and the existing clutch can be used. Best to open both years in different tabs on the Ronnie's or Surdyke sites.

With the engine and transmission bolted together firmly but loosely bolted to the frame for mount inspection you could check and fix any casual Chinese workmanship issues (more expensive labor) after feeler gaging then noting any gaps but buying a non-shit frame would make more sense to me.

Not a demanding job and the Softail parts look classically chopulent. Remember to get a Softail case with the large Denso OSGR starter hole. The small hole is Hitachi. Even if the owner doesn't want a kicker that preserves the best starter option.

A rigid frame for a Dyna drivetrain will have the vertical post to the rear as in this random example and get the customer down the road with the least amount of fucking around. This doesn't have the motor vs. tranny alignment issues of a classic HD frame for obvious reasons:

Riding awesome, though budget-friendly choppers is put on the map by L&L Choppers with their succesfull AttacKit for Sportsters. Of course this Dutch chopper-company didn't want to disadvantage the fans of bigtwin Evo & Twin Cam Harley-Davidsons! Finally a ready-to-fit L&L hardtail frame is designed for the Twin Cam A and B, the Electra, FXR and Dyna. Do you want to build a sleek lane-splitter? Or can't you get your eyes off those wonderfull bobbers in the biker-mag? The possibilities of the new L&L frame are endless, as it's available in both bobber (low) and chopper (high) look. Well, you've

A Dyna-specific frame would save customer several hundred bucks at least and likely over a grand (if he's paying for all the labor) over a Softail box plus appropriate frame.
              If the Dyna drivetrain is undisturbed then there's no teardown labor, swap labor, greatly reduced installation labor and no extra parts cost. No need to realign separate engine and transmission mounts to fit the engine if the aftermarket frame isn't perfect is nice too.
              Last edited by farmall; 11-20-2019, 1:34 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;