Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

When using a gasket to lay out the case for drilling the drain holes, if memory serves, you have to flip the gasket for proper position, front to rear. Looks like the guy just moved the gasket front to rear without flipping it, and got the hole in the wrong place. That applies to gaskets with only one drain hole, looks like the gasket you have has two holes, in which case the guy picked the wrong hole. It should have been checked against the actual cylinder used, however, like you are doing now.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Were Delkron big bore cases factory drilled? I've never handled a new set.

Comment

• DavidS
        • Jun 2019

@ farmall I don’t know. But I double checked with an other set of jugs I have, same situation. I can just explain that with the theory of a new case comes with out bores and the dud who did it mistakes the front gasket with the rear one and used that as a template and drilled the opening in the wrong spot.

I have to admit that I was ridding the bike for 100 miles before the exhaust valves seals on both heads went down, S&S send me a set of new seals and explained that my heads where sitting for two years on a shelve and that the rubber seal just turned in plastic instead of staying smooth. Could the not exciting opening be a reason for burned seals as well? Or what else could have happened? As far I understand the lubrication on a shovel is that the second rockerbox is supplying oil to the first one. In my case the hot oil was just sitting in the rocker box and the return line and got just partially returner by passing the first rockerbox and cylinder. Other then a massiv oil burn on both exhaust seals i haven’t noticed any other complications. Any thoughts what I might not see know and could be appearing down the road?
        Thx

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

The only way for the oil to drain from the rocker box if the return is blocked is by the pushrod tubes. By the time the oil gets to the top of the tubes, the valve guudes are completely submerged. What was left of your valve stem seals probably kept the oil use to far less than it might have been. No drain oil can communicate from one rocker box to the other.

Jim

Comment

• DavidS
            • Jun 2019

Thx man. Never to old to learn.
            I will start a new Subject in that in a different post with detail pictures how I fixed the problem etc. I’m glad this forum exists. I’ll keep you posted. CU on the road.... or on the side of it
            Last edited by DavidS; 11-17-2019, 3:05 PM.

Comment

• DavidS
              • Jun 2019

Here’s the result and it works as suppose to.
              I basically taped the shit out of it and used grease everywhere to catch the flakes.
              I used the gasket as a template. A pilot hole to make sure everything goes strait, and a 1/4 bit for the final drill size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48CDF064-10B9-466B-BF62-9A22DBE1A56F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1314412

Name:	6D03C67C-43ED-4303-9C41-54CAC0A89CCE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1314413

Name:	959A1C66-D502-421D-968C-7C3787500535.jpg