CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: FXR shake

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default FXR shake

I've googled and searched, but haven't found any help. I have a 94 FXR. It has been smooth as silk since I got it. I put about 1800 miles on it one weekend last month. It's a smooth, comfortable ride.

While replacing the base gaskets, I noticed the front engine mount was split and ordered another. I got the new Harley mount (79d) and installed it. The bike shook way more than I'm comfortable with, so I put the old one back in and ordered the Buell mount.

I put the Buell mount in the bike, today, and it shook even worse. I have an old shovel, and I'd compare the fxr to the shovel with a loose top mount. it's really bad.

I can't imagine I have two new bad mounts. I must be doing something wrong. The old mount is about 1/8" shorter than the new ones. I can't get the mounts in or out without loosening the link at the front and swinging the mount plate outwards. Could that be my problem? My top and front alignment links bolt up easily, and the bike tracks straight.

If you've read this far, thank you. What can I do? Is there a trick to this?

Get Adobe Flash player

Replace ALL the motor mounts, If one was bad they are ALL bad...............

Get Adobe Flash player

Try slackening the front and top links and slackening the swingarm pivot nuts (beneath the chrome caps). They work as a system and when one part is replaced it usually pays off to realign them. The drivetrain should settle happily in place.

The rubber swingarm mounts age at the same rate so this is a good time to replace them. I do. The nylon washers 47513-80 are usually worn so I buy a set of those when I do mounts. It's also a good time to pull the swingarm pivot and coat it thoroughly with anti-seize to exclude moisture (you REALLY don't want to beat one of those out when they get stuck!) before reinstallation. 1994 was a very long time ago. I did the above with my '88 I bought new and my '94. I don't do dry threads so the relevant bolts and nuts get anti-seized too.

The washers are plentiful on Ebay. I just ordered some a few minutes ago.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Replace ALL the motor mounts, If one was bad they are ALL bad...............
    I have. I replaced the rear mounts this morning.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Try slackening the front and top links and slackening the swingarm pivot nuts (beneath the chrome caps). They work as a system and when one part is replaced it usually pays off to realign them. The drivetrain should settle happily in place.

The rubber swingarm mounts age at the same rate so this is a good time to replace them. I do. The nylon washers 47513-80 are usually worn so I buy a set of those when I do mounts. It's also a good time to pull the swingarm pivot and coat it thoroughly with anti-seize to exclude moisture (you REALLY don't want to beat one of those out when they get stuck!) before reinstallation. 1994 was a very long time ago. I did the above with my '88 I bought new and my '94. I don't do dry threads so the relevant bolts and nuts get anti-seized too.

The washers are plentiful on Ebay. I just ordered some a few minutes ago.
    I changed those all this morning. my isolators were bad, but the cleve blocks were good as new. The pivot shaft slid out very easily. I've noticed the new mounts are 1/8" taller than the old one. That's probably due to age/sag. I'll try loosening the pivot shaft and doing it again. Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree on the sag. If the engine doesn't settle forward onto the mount find out what else is stopping it.

Nothing that isn't an engine mount or link should not stop engine movement.
    Last edited by farmall; 4 Weeks Ago at 7:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

actually, its the opposite. I'm thinking the mounts are too tall. I'm going to try putting one in upside down and see if that helps. The mount plate isn't sitting flat on top of the mount.

edit : that wasn't it. There must be something else wrong with the bike. I just don't get how the old mount could hide it so well.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:02 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I found the problem, but I'm not sure how to fix it. The taller mount lifted my engine just enough to cause the top of the Mikuni to touch the frame.

Get Adobe Flash player

a few minutes with a grinder and some rattle can black and it's good. Thanks!!

Get Adobe Flash player

You need to loosen everything and see if you can get the motor back to it's original place........

Get Adobe Flash player

both of the new mounts are physically larger than the mount that came out of the bike. The old mount is easy 1/8" shorter.

from Mikuni :
    4.Carburetor hits tank or upper motor control arm

There are several possible reasons for this:

1: The manifold is out of position and is pointing "up" toward the tank. This is the most common cause of interference between the Mikuni HSR and the cycle's fuel tank. One clue that this is the case is that the air cleaner bolt holes do not line up with the bolt holes in the heads. Since many air cleaners have some slack in their installation, this is not always a definitive way to check manifold alignment. An angle gauge such as those made for home use can be used to check the alignment of the manifold's mouth.

Use the gauge to compare the angle across the mouth of the intake manifold with the front surface of the points cover or with the seating surfaces of the head breather bolts. The mouth of the carburetor should be parallel with the any of these surfaces.

If the mouth of the manifold is not parallel, loosen the manifold bolts and rotate it until it is.

NOTE: It is a good idea to lubricate the manifold seals as you do this. There is a tendency towards air leaks if the manifold is rotated in the manifold/head seals without some lubrication. WD-40 is convenient and effective. Always check for air leaks after moving the manifold.

2: Some FXR/FLHT frames have the upper lateral control arm mount (this is the folded sheet metal arm that is welded to the frame's backbone just above the carburetor) located slightly low. This can result in interference between the lateral link's mounting bolt and the top of the carburetor. Occasionally, the arm can be so low that it directly hits the top of the HSR Mikuni.

A shorter bolt (Harley fits either of two bolt lengths) or a "button" head bolt mounted with the head down often cures the clearance problem. If it is the arm itself that strikes the top of the carburetor, you may have to consider modifying the arm.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:15 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The only Evo intake design that doesn't eat leper anus is the sold Ram Jett intake. No seals, just gaskets like a V8 intake. Of course being solid there are no alignment issues. I make gaskets from typical heavy gray gasket paper since they are out of production. Look for the E stamp when hunting big twin intakes.That's the most common. S is for Sportster.

No carb brace needed, no air cleaner connection to heads needed, and you can (I did) lift the engine with a strap around the intake. Do that with the assembly-line production oriented stock early or late designs.

Get Adobe Flash player

never heard of that one. interesting. I just looked it up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Most used ones won't have bolts. I used socket head bolts on the Ram Jett I didn't buy new instead of the original Ram Jett 12-point screws which are usually missing. Either is fine but I had to roll the Allen heads against a bench grinder wheel to narrow them slightly to clear the narrow side Ram Jett casting.

What year is your FXR? Does your carb have a bolted flange mount and use a rubber adapter clamped to the carb? (If in doubt post pics.) If so then you can install the rubber carb boot on a Ram Jett next time you do intake seals (or the older boots most of which have dry rotted by now) with minimal effort. A spacer block can place your carb as far out as you wish.

Example Ebay E stamped (not mine) part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi....c100667.m2042

BTW since you're a Norton owner check out the INOA. Their national meets are outstanding (and change location yearly for variety). If you do the Barber Vintage Festival stop by "Norton Hill".

https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonC...-thread.28709/
    Last edited by farmall; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:52 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Re: accessNorton
    Do you post over there under the user name "hobot"?
    Last edited by hillcat; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:37 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

No, I've not registered there yet.

Share This