Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
    Forgot about that one in the old ads until you tossed that up. Guessing there is a reason it wasn't popular
    I'm guessing your guessing the correct!
    First thing I see is no positive stop but the pavement. It's also ugly especially compared the the grace of a girder done right but iy fits the graceless chassis.

It's good to see the fugly shit from the past for reference and it's an interesting design but that much spring steel ain't light.

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

I have had a few bikes with Springers and to be honest, I wasn't really happy with the ride or control,.. but this is my buddys SBF sportster that Donny Smith built in about 1980 with a set of his SBF Girders and I gotta say it was one of the best handling chops I have ever ridden ………. the girders worked so damn well you'd think it had stock forks on it,.... SBF were great Quality and sometimes come up for silly money,... good to hear Donny still makes them....
      Attached Files

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

tzienlee:"...my buddys SBF sportster that Donny Smith built in about 1980 with a set of his SBF Girders and I gotta say it was one of the best handling chops I have ever ridden ………. the girders worked so damn well you'd think it had stock forks on it,..."
        The design for the linkages on the SB&F girders, carried over with Donnie Smith's (below) is a factor that creates good stability - they are made like little swingarms, compared to most others with just bronze bushing 1/2" to 5/8" wide at each end of the four separate linkages. Also there is a coil over adjustable shock for dampening, not just a spring for suspension.

Donnie Smith:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Donnie Smith girder, top linkage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1314116

SB&F teardrop girder:

Name:	SB&F girder, teardrop.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1314117

Girder plans with typical bronze-bushed linkages:

Name:	Girder plans, CBH.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	1314118
        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 11-10-2019, 7:32 PM. Reason: dampener
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Triumphkiller
          • Dec 2018

Name:	8376FE0B-A764-413D-9D32-84C316204305.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1314139Yes, I am really 16 lol. I was not planning on putting the girder on the xs650, I really only want to rebuild it for a future bike that I’m gonna build. Thanks for the invite, I’ll definitely have to check that out next time I’m in oregon! I have attached some pictures of the girder, I cannot find any identification on it, so I don’t know who built it.Click image for larger version

Name:	B69EC471-E605-4F93-9C5B-CE49AA0C92EB.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1314137Click image for larger version

Name:	B69EC471-E605-4F93-9C5B-CE49AA0C92EB.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1314137Click image for larger version

Name:	19552975-7C73-4850-A737-E252F527CE8E.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1314138

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Hey, that's a cool one. it's got the gusset shapes like the Wayne girder where the back leg bend is, the same shaped gussets in the middle of the leg like the Wayne girder that one 47str8leg posted above^^^(post #9), but not the curved section at the top, and lower leg axle plates almost like the one on the KZ900 trike that shank1kole just bought:

Name:	Kawasaki Z-1 900 chop trike (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	1314140
            Hello all, I am looking at a 1974 kz 900 choptrike and don't know shit about japanese bikes! Obviously a custom trike has a host of things to look out for.Is there any specifics I should check on this year motor etc ? Have always heard of high reliability on NON harley bikes with little wrenching so I am looking to get this for
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;