CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Cutting a stuck rear axle out of a swingarm or rubbermount transmission.

I posted this in a Rickman group thread (Rickman frames are usually chromed so scratches look like ass) and I figured it would be useful here since not everyone has absurd amounts of time doing this on machinery, trucks and motorcycles:

Thread was referencing a swingarm pivot bolt:

I'd slather it with quality marine copper bearing anti-seize (not grease) when reinstalling. I've not done that job on a Rickman (I'm here to learn about them) but have done it several times on seized rubbermount Harley swingarm pivots, and tapered roller bearing rear axles rusted to their internal spacers due to moisture infiltration. Most people don't have a variety of abrasive cutting discs and try to make do with one too large (hits adjacent frame bits!) or too small (doesn't reach). That looks like a ~3" diameter disc will reach. I use long 1/4" diameter bolts with fender washers as mandrels after cutting off the heads. Run one nut down the threads (I use all-steel lock nuts) then stack washer/disc/washer/nut. Metrify those dimensions depending on your location. The narrow mandrel clears the frame permitting a 90-degree or so shot at your target axle. I prefer face shields to goggles (which don't protect your face) so I can stick my face close to the work and always use a BRIGHT light. You can buy larger disks and use them up on scrap to get a diameter you want, and you can center overly large center hole discs on your mandrel with a thin washer which doesn't interfere with tightening the nuts. If your disc is a bit offset but clamped firmly you can use it up gently on scrap which will grind it concentric with your mandrel. Gentle patience wins the day. To prevent an abrasive cutting disc snagging then striking bits you wish to avoid, don't hold it in one position. Instead, move it slightly back and forth. If you draw a circle overlapping another, smaller circle you can see how a fixed position will make a C-shaped cut. The ends of the C are where cutting discs snag and why large industrial abrasive chop saws are designed to oscillate back and forth. If not sure, do what weldors do and practice on scrap first.
    Last edited by farmall; 4 Weeks Ago at 5:21 PM.

Share This