Is something bent? Swingarm alignment issue.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SOML
    • Oct 2018

Is something bent? Swingarm alignment issue.

I got this sporty in a trade and have no real history on it. It’s a 1993 what looks to be a stock frame with no modifications.

With the shocks removed and the swingarm raised to its max height something looks off. I have removed the swingarm and done multiple inspections to find out what it may be but nothing stands out. Everything is square and straight! Swingarm slides in and out perfect, wheel fits exact with spacers.

Is this normal or do we have a problem?
    Attached Files
  • 7and7is
    • Dec 2012

Not sure what looks "off" to you, could you be more exact, like have an arrow pointing to what yo think is"off" I do know that when you tighten the axle (to spec) the swing arm will compress some.

Comment

• 7and7is
      • Dec 2012

OK taking a 2nd look at the pics are you talking about the shocks canting where they attache to the swing arm? if so you may need to use some spacers (Thick washers) to space them out, heres a pick of my 03 you'll notice that the bottom of the shock is spaced out more than the top, the shocks in you pic are not stock so they may need some tweaking to get the plumb.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
        • Sep 2013

I checked on my 2000. The spacers that Progressive Suspension provides for this model are somewhere around 7mm (sorry, measured in the dark with a Leatherman). Probably different for your bike and shocks, but might give you a bit of an idea. Other than what 7and7 has mentioned, I don't see anything wrong with the swingarm.

Comment

• SOML
          • Oct 2018

Thanks dudes. I’ll throw her back together with some spacers and see how she rides.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
            • Sep 2013

Best of luck, man. Let us know what you find out.

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

Mount your shock at the top, tightened up. Rotate it towards bottom mount. This will show you what you need for spacer. You can't just muscle them into position and tighten it down. You will bend the shaft.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by SOML
                Is this normal or do we have a problem?
                What isn't normal is that there is no wheel or anything else for that matter........ Put it together and I'd bet it will be just fine...............

Comment

• Hawkstone
                  • Mar 2012

Bad to see on your photo's, but is the upper shock, being offset from central, half a turn out ?. Or would it foul the frame ?.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;