Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danimal666
    • Apr 2017

Looking to bore out front wheel hub.

I just got this old 21" mini drum wheel from a friend but it's for 1/2" axles. My springer has 5/8". How do I go about drilling out the hub, and is it even possible?
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

You'd better post clear brightly lit photos because no one can see how much aluminum will be left after boring. Then we can advise on measurements but unless the hub is bare you'll get to unlace it so it can be bored on a lathe.

A lot of those were actually Jap dirt bike wheels (13mm = ~ 1/2")

Post right side and left side photos without the drum backing plate installed and (minimum) an outside pic of the drum backing plate in hope someone recognizes it.

You may not need to bore it. Remove the wheel bearings and post width and outside diameter.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Yup, ^^^ should be able to see a part number on the bearings when you get them out too, to reference online suppliers to find sizes.

If that is not one of the small brake 'choppastoppa' hubs, maybe it's from a little Jap bike^^^...list of axle sizes here; 12mm and 15mm common for front axles:

Axle diameter size list
      Compliments of "a member on another forum", Sorted by rear and front then size. Just find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor. Jap Bike Rear Axle Diameters 15mm Honda CB250 Nighthawk 91-92, CM250 Custom 82-84, CMX250 85-86 & 96-97 Rebel (right), CX500...
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 10scDust
        • Jan 2018

Alternate idea; use bushings on the forks to accommodate the 1/2" axle in the 5/8" hole.

Comment

• 70fatster
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by 10scDust
          Alternate idea; use bushings on the forks to accommodate the 1/2" axle in the 5/8" hole.
          When I ran one of these hubs on my old jammer twisted springer I used bushings I cut from 1/2" copper pipe. Maybe not DOT approved, but it worked for me!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;