CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bottles should work very well. I finally tried riding with hand guards this year, it's a whole world of difference. Besides heated gear, hand warmers and mitts, the only thing I would recommend is a thin, thermal glove under whatever your main glove choice is. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-...638768&sr=8-10

They are a little pricey, but you won't regret the money spent. If you want to get real serious, the pants and shirt of the same material are incredible, but very costly. I'd say when it comes to staying warm, thermal underwear and shirts are about the most important part of your system. You don't need the Helly Hansen pants or shirt, any thermals should do there.

Sunday it hit 70F in the afternoon... this morning it was 17F with a dusting of snow... there was a slight change of riding attire. When the weather is so bonkers it reminds me of what being married was like.

Get Adobe Flash player

It looks like people are going to have plenty of Winter riding weather this and next year.............

Get Adobe Flash player

There may be a little ice on the Honda. it's just one of them things, just fuck it and ride.

Get Adobe Flash player

Honey I think I need gloves today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cold.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	98323

Get Adobe Flash player

snow is one thing, but **** that

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    I do, but I also live in NC, so it doesn't get too bad most of the winter. At this point in my life though, I don't need to prove shit to anyone including myself. If it's below 35, I'm good, I'll drive my truck. I've frozen my ass off enough times over the years. We get enough warmer days throughout the winter that I'll ride on those days. Otherwise we tend to get a lot of shitty cold rain here in the winter so riding on those days isn't worth it one bit.
    This guy gets it!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by metalheart28 View Post
    This guy gets it!
    He surely does! I got older and wiser fast in 1985 when a couple of my friends died on winter roads. We bought a bunch of tatty old large cars to get around after the funerals. Best of the bunch was a battered crusty old Pontiac Formula 400 and a scabby old Jag XJ6.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used to ride alot more in winter, but since I had a kid my ride time has decreased. I got a 74f f100 to cruise in with the kid, so I have been doing more wrenching than riding the last couple years in the winter. The f100 needs a new engine im afraid, so I will probably do a fair amount of riding this winter. I don't do ice though....

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm still in the habit of buying used clunkers from a friends used car lot for winter. My latest cost me $900 and has lasted 50,000 miles so far. Those F100s are worth fixing. Years ago when my clunkers were American, anything that broke got fixed with secondhand stuff from the guys at the local USAF base here in the UK. Never rebuilt a V8 for myself. Modern cars-they break, I throw em away and get another.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't mind the cold if the roads are free of ice and snow but they use enough salt around here to rival the dead sea.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've lived my entire life (50+ years) in San Diego, CA. The only place I've ever seen snow is on tv. It snows sometimes in the mountains here, but I don't go to the mountains. Never seen or experienced an icy road.

Forecast high temp in my part of SD today is 73 degrees.

I ride all year long.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by EVILBLACKSABRE View Post
    I've lived my entire life (50+ years) in San Diego, CA. The only place I've ever seen snow is on tv. It snows sometimes in the mountains here, but I don't go to the mountains. Never seen or experienced an icy road.

Forecast high temp in my part of SD today is 73 degrees.

I ride all year long.
    I envy your weather there, I like Balboa Park, and drinking in Gaslights.

Get Adobe Flash player

When I was living in NE Ohio I did, but they use salt on the roads, and that stuff wreaks havok on metal parts, like aluminum.
    Had to rinse after every ride. Then in spring I noticed my hinged fender was rusting holes in it and needed replaced. (that salt gets into place a general rinsing doesn't reach.) I then waited for it to warm up and get a couple good rains in to cleanse the roads of salt. As I got older, I set my limit to 40 degrees F, it's just not that comforting to me. Although with my new '17 Eltraglide and heated grips, I'll ride down to just above freezing, not a fan of ice on the roads! Here in TN they don't use salt either.

Get Adobe Flash player

when i was young i rode all year and froze my dick off, fuck that.
    if ya think riding in the winter makes ya, I got nws no one gives a fuck.
    I keel my modern bike on the road and ride it when i need a fix or its nice out, other than that I could give a flying fuck

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    I envy your weather there, I like Balboa Park, and drinking in Gaslights.
    Yep, I'd say the weather is the only reason I stay In CA. Great weather, just about everything else sucks.

Thought about moving to Arizona, but I hate really intense heat.

And the high for the day of my previous post turned out to be 77 degrees.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by EVILBLACKSABRE View Post
    Yep, I'd say the weather is the only reason I stay In CA. Great weather, just about everything else sucks.

Thought about moving to Arizona, but I hate really intense heat.

And the high for the day of my previous post turned out to be 77 degrees.
    Arizona is dead to me, its fallen and Idaho will probably be next.

I'm liking Utah

Get Adobe Flash player

Every state will die unless people stop multiplying and moving everywhere. "Good" states only stay that way until everyone goes there and big government steps in and ruins it, then there's another haven someplace new all over again. Overpopulation is no joke, I'm not even an old guy and in my lifetime I've seen the effects of it all across the west.

Anyway. Anyone have opinions on changing oils for winter weather? Truck guys often seem to go thinner for cold morning startups. I'm wondering if it's worth it for a bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet54 View Post
    Anyway. Anyone have opinions on changing oils for winter weather? Truck guys often seem to go thinner for cold morning startups. I'm wondering if it's worth it for a bike.
    I think it all depends on where you keep the bike & how long you warm it for up before taking off down the road,
    If it's kept outside you'd best to go for a multi grade oil but if in a garage that aint freezing, just take ya time on warm up, if your running an oil cooler make sure it has a thermostat valve, ya don't wanna cool already cool oil,

Firoj1

Took the bike out for what may be the last ride of the year. It's upper 40's out so not real cold but colder than I had ridden before. The bike was colder than that from the garage after a cold night so the garage was colder than outside. I came home after a 1/2 hour instead of hitting curvies.
    -Cold tires suck. They take a long time to warm up. Yikes!
    -Cold tires lose air. Check before each ride. Felt like they had jello in them.
    -What seem like warm gloves in early fall are not warm gloves in late fall. Didn't even feel like I had gloves on.
    -Any kind of wind breaking pants make a huge difference. I wore my ski pants. No more protection than the jeans I had on under them, but much warmer.
    Does anyone have any other stories or recommendations? Cold weather tires?

Share This