CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

39F this morning when I rode to get coffee. I don't mind cold weather riding when I'm prepared. I don't fuck around with ice and snow anymore. Thats what my 4wd truck is for.

Looks like me and SKJOLL are neighbors, I'm in Floyds Knobs, IN
    Last edited by KevinN; 10-30-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

You guys are calling the 20's and 30's cold? If it stayed like that where I am I would out every day. In Wyoming we frequently get to 20 or 30 below.

A lot of the winter stays in the 10's-20's. However in my area the road conditions in winter would kill two wheels in a heartbeat. Riding passes at 7% grade with hairpin turns and 3 inches of polished solid ice...I'm crazy, but nowhere near that crazy.

Coldest I ever rode was -2. That's farenheit, mind you, not celsius. Wasn't long, just 5 minutes. But it stung. In my experience though once you reach 0 it's kind of all the same.

Cold temperatures whatever, if the roads were even remotely rideable around me I would find a way. It drives me freaking nuts shutting down for the winter.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug: I have some friends up in Alaska (most near Palmer) and many of them bunker up and build bikes in the winter,, but some still get out and ride. Here is a pix from last year a buddy sent me. Cool little Triumph cub.
    Looks like your Alaskan buddy has just the right machine to fit a Sno-Go kit (from link you shared in springer ride thread):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnoGo,winter conversion kit,1966.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	98032

Name:	SnoGo kit, Triumph Cub, Vintage-Motorcycles-097.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	98033

Name:	SnoGo kit, Triumph Cub(2),Vintage-Motorcycles-017.jpg 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	98034

Get Adobe Flash player

I remember many times using my pant leg at the shin to scrape the frost off my seat to go home from wherever I'd been. The pic was taking on a New Year's morning when I was about to leave the previous night's party. I'd crashed there because I didn't want to ride home drunk, especially with all the other amateur drunks on the road. Yes, that's snow on the ground, though the roads were clear. Couldn't tell you the temp.

Name:	78fxsa.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	98036

Get Adobe Flash player

Isn't it amazing the difference in riding in the summer and winter???????

In the summer you hate it when you get caught by a red light but in the winter when your coming up on a green light you keep saying change change change....... LOL

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	IMG_20191006_154110_783.jpg 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	98037 This was three weeks ago cresting battle ridge pass in Montana. Flatheads love the cool weather. If I can, I ride.
    Last edited by montuckymatt; 10-31-2019 at 8:28 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice!!!

also when you see a red light you start braking a lot sooner haha

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by montuckymatt View Post

Name:	IMG_20191006_154110_783.jpg 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	98037 This was three weeks ago cresting battle ridge pass in Montana. Flatheads love the cool weather. If I can, I ride.
    Beautiful pic! Bike's cool too.

Get Adobe Flash player

I do, but I also live in NC, so it doesn't get too bad most of the winter. At this point in my life though, I don't need to prove shit to anyone including myself. If it's below 35, I'm good, I'll drive my truck. I've frozen my ass off enough times over the years. We get enough warmer days throughout the winter that I'll ride on those days. Otherwise we tend to get a lot of shitty cold rain here in the winter so riding on those days isn't worth it one bit.

Hey guys I need a little help. Going to ride through the this winter due to my shitty car situation. Does anyone have heated grips they would recommend? Or gloves? I felt like my fingers were going to fall off this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinN View Post
    ... Looks like me and SKJOLL are neighbors, I'm in Floyds Knobs, IN
    Yup, I'm in downtown Loo-Evil.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Samkristoff View Post
    Hey guys I need a little help. Going to ride through the this winter due to my shitty car situation. Does anyone have heated grips they would recommend? Or gloves? I felt like my fingers were going to fall off this morning.

Name:	handwarmers.jpg 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	98062

Serious question. Would you use those all winter? Or invest into something more than just a one time use? I have about a 40 minute ride into work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Google "battery heated gloves". There are some decent options there too. If you're wearing gloves, heat INSIDE the glove is going to be most effective I think.

Yeah. That’s what I was thinking. But there are a lot of options, and the reviews are all over the place. One person says they are amazing another will say they suck. And most of them aren’t on a bike. I’m just curious if anyone here really loves a certain brand for a decent price.

Get Adobe Flash player

How cold are we talking?
    My big tips: latex gloves and grocery bags for boots. Keep the moisture barrier out of your insulator. Ever see the inside of nice ski gloves? All latex. I like to wear the neoprene kind under mine, that way hot hands and 10 dollar POS walmart gloves are fine all day riding in 40 degrees.
    Also mittens. Farm and fleet sells out of leather outer mittens before xmas, wonder why. I catch shit at work for them all of the time but no one laughs when it's sub zero. Also, those hot-hands are only 5 bucks each big bag at walmart, not too bad.

Thanks for the tips I’ll definitely be trying this. Sounds affordable for me. I live in northeast Ohio. Akron . I’ll be riding everyday to and from work. Not sure if the hot hands will get expensive after a couple of months. Also it gets colder than 40. Today it was 30 out and my fingers were hurtin.
    Last edited by Samkristoff; 11-01-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

My youngest is a rabid snow boarder and we get her a box of the hand warmers AND a box of the feet warmers from CostCo each year. I don't recall the price off the top of my head, but it is really good compared to anywhere else I have tried.

Some kind of wind breakers around the handlebars help the hands, I used cut up bleach bottles and hose clamps when I had to ride the bike to work everyday in the winter. Check out a product called DriBarz, I just saw them on the interweb

Hell yes. Thanks for the best idea ever. Was looking at fairings and they to expensive. I’m definitely cutting up some bottles tonight.

Share This