Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jfuller
    • Jul 2016

Best spark plug socket ever

Find the right cheap socket that fits your plugs, and weld a section of old chain on it. Folds up and will fit in your vest pocket, saddle bag, or wherever. I dont remember where I saw it done before, but it works like a champ. Also good for pulling plugs out of tight spaces. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_173923.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	1345713Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_173918.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1345714
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Interesting! Imma make one of those. Thanks for posting. The hex on the socket remaining clear lets you break torque with a wrench.

It would also be easy to machine an adapter or socket then pin the chain in place. I'd break torque with something else if the fastener was very tight but that could spin the fuck out of buried plugs/bolts/etc.

That idea would also work with tubular Jap plug sockets which go where standard sockets do not but suck to turn since they don't have square drives (though those are easy to weld on).
    Last edited by farmall; 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Jfuller
      • Jul 2016

Originally posted by farmall
      Interesting! Imma make one of those. Thanks for posting. The hex on the socket remaining clear lets you break torque with a wrench.

It would also be easy to machine an adapter or socket then pin the chain in place. I'd break torque with something else if the fastener was very tight but that could spin the fuck out of buried plugs/bolts/etc.

That idea would also work with tubular Jap plug sockets which go where standard sockets do not but suck to turn since they don't have square drives (though those are easy to weld on).
      I believe the socket I used was a cheap one from any auto parts store. The chain has given me enough leverage to take out all the spark plugs I've had to take out so far. But the same thing could certainly be done with those sheet metal jap plug removers. Would probably be easier to use than the little metal bar they expect you to get leverage with. It's like having a socket/rachet/extension/speed wrench all in one.

Comment

• Hatchet54
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by farmall
        Absolutely my first thought too. I'm doing this for sure. Thanks for posting a great idea!

Comment

• hillcat
          • Mar 2015

The whole point of a socket is the ratchet. I would rather take a 13/16" wrench, cut it in half and weld on another useful size on the other end.
          A 2 for one tool and it is flatter for carrying.

Comment

• ac72rat
            • Mar 2012

Thank you I was wondering what a socket was used for

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;