CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default tail/brake light at top of sissy bar? legalities?

i've made a pretty tall sissy bar for a little chopper project just because that's how much metal i had. now i'm thinking put the tail light at the top of it if i can work up something i like.

if i did the light would be about 5 1/2' high. i'm wondering if there would be some law about the height of it. i can say it would be about the same height as the third brake light on my truck (base model 2wd chevy), so i know it wouldn't be as high as 4wd and custom lifted 3rd brake light trucks.

louisville, ky. would there be a site or somehwere that i could look it up if i need to? thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your state should have a code section covering motorcycles in the BMV.
    I recall reading some literature, like a Russ Brown handout, from aide to injured motorcyclists, (AIM), maybe check with them?
    Anyway, it was interesting, in Georgia it says something about sharp pointed sissybars not being okay, in Tennessee vertical license plates good if first number at the top, and I believe Florida does not allow a blue light at all (reserved for police), where Ohio does as long as they do not flash (blue dot over brake light constitutes blinking).
    It is different everywhere and I am sure it changes all the time.
    Brake lights are a safety thing, at that height, you want to be seen!
    I am not the expert on this, do the research, and ride on!

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you running no front brake, missing turn signals and no mirrors? If so then your brake light height might be the least of your worries then!

Get Adobe Flash player

As previously mentioned, vehicle requirements can change drastically from state to state.

https://drive.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Probably your best best to start your search for info.

From page 2 of the operator's manual under 'Vehicle Requirements':

"Equipment Required: Rearview mirror, one headlight high and low
    beam, taillight, horn, muffler, tailpipe, brake light, front and rear brakes,
    proof of liability insurance, good tires, and registration. Turn signals are
    now required, if they were part of the factory equipment for that model."

https://kentuckystatepolice.org/wp-c...3_13_12_op.pdf

Honestly, with the questionable bikes I've seen ridden here in KY cops don't really seem to give a crap how high the brake/tail light is just as long as you have one.
    Last edited by Skjoll; 10-22-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks. i also found this

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-equipment/

nothing says anything about height requirements so i hope i'll be ok.

I like the idea but This got me thinking. Regardless of legalities, I would want my tail light to be where a driver coming up behind mewould expect it to be. If he is looking in the usual place only, he might not see the the high up one. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by armand View Post
    ... I would want my tail light to be where a driver coming up behind mewould expect it to be. If he is looking in the usual place only, he might not see the the high up one. Just a thought
    IMO if the light is bright then it should grab a driver's attention. Granted there will always be exceptions to a rule but what it boils down to is that as soon as you think you've made something idiot-proof, along comes an improved idiot.

Get Adobe Flash player

what about running two? A little one down low and whatever you want at the top.

Around here, the cops aren't too interested in motorcycle technicalities. Unless you happen to get the wrong cop following right behind you on the wrong day. Stuff like signals, mirrors and lights only seem to come into play when they already have you pulled over for something else. Even then, most tickets go to guys that the cop just plain does not like. But I'm about 1900 miles away in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by armand View Post
    I like the idea but This got me thinking. Regardless of legalities, I would want my tail light to be where a driver coming up behind mewould expect it to be. If he is looking in the usual place only, he might not see the the high up one. Just a thought
    I don't think it really matters; they are either paying attention or they are not. Depending on the overall height of the tail light, it may sit at eye height for drivers in automobiles. That said, I don't believe I've ever seen any height requirements for brake lights on bikes, in any of the states I've lived in.

Share This