Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shank1kole
    • Dec 2015

lights are in, but only taped on.Works busy, will have tub done by end of the week with pics.Then pulling the engine to see if I go turbo.There is a certain Cool Cat here who offered one at fair price, I would run it with very low boost but would love the whistle and the look.To all who say thats a lot of time and cash for a cool look you are right, but its fuckin cool. The O.G. Turbo Z paint scheme is tits as well it would look good in flake on this!
    Attached Files

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Holy Turbo!

Kawasaki Z1R-TC - The Psycho Turbo Z

"The TC was the result of slapping a turbo kit onto an otherwise standard Z1R. And I do mean slapping on. No internal modifications were made to the motor. No suspension change. No frame reinforcement. Just a turbo kit and about 10 lbs of boost knocking forty extra horsepower to the rear. Yep, the TC was rated for a staggering 130hp, in an era when a Ford 302ci V8 was wheezing out 140 hp on a good day."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kawasaki+Z1R+Turbo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1315113

"And it wasn’t just the horsepower tally that impressed, it was the way it made power that was truly breathtaking. By breathtaking I mean it would scare they everloving piss out of you with the most evil turbo lag this side of the ass-engined Porsche 930. Up until 4500-5000 rpm it behaved like a standard KZ. Then all hell would break loose and it would go tearing towards redline with a spurt of violent acceleration. Just like every other early turbo machine, in other words."

Name:	Z1R+TC+Burnout.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1315114

The legendary Kawasaki Z1R-TC, the world's first turbo motorcycle - and a bike with a reputation for a nasty, brutish and short life.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shank1kole
        • Dec 2015

I have not seen one exhaust system that I like on these chop or not, except the backwards turbo set up:confused.With the price of pipes or stainless made in house I would rather throw cash at the crazy ass turbo lag.Again wheelie/ drag bars are in the works.I only live 15 minutes from Milan drag way. I could do some runs a couple times a year hahaha. It s getting further into chop than a daily then but oh well I'm a little goofy when get going on projects.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Check out the small car and modern motorcycle turbo culture as they got very good at that stuff and turbos have come a long way in durability too.

Turbos were not built for the old turbocharged bikes, they used off the shelf units too large to spool quickly. Nostalgia is great for engines but a turbo's a turbo so new turbo on ancient bike can give ya the best of both worlds.

Turbos live very long lives on diesels so a modest boost level should pose no problems. Everything from the 1970s is a fossil today so why not exploit new options t make a better fossil?

I'm a little goofy when get going on projects.
          Projects are for fun. If ya wanted a neutercommuterscooter you'd have bought one and modded nothing. Build what makes you smile!

Comment

• shank1kole
            • Dec 2015

Here is bottom roughed. The wood will get cut out a lot, later.also this is another way to form up. I used 1/4 plywood, 2 inch tape,and then Tyvek tape with a light wipe of wax, then buffed of so only tiny film is left (slippery nut not wet haha).I used my electric power washer to clean the inside out before these pics. Dont use a 3500 psi to do this, I used a HF unit. Since it was 52 in michigan for a day.
            Attached Files

Comment

• shank1kole
              • Dec 2015

The wood packout on the sides will get smoothed and frenched,then a door panel for side storage and the back will get cut out and mounted to seat pan.
              Attached Files

Comment

• shank1kole
                • Dec 2015

Here is the ply removed,and seat/trunk access cutout along with the side panel doors.All the tape removed quite easy, just wasn't done yet.

Also I searched and all I can can find is to ask the mods to change the thread title,I was thinking KZ 900 trike build. I don't know if its worth it.Im not sure if the current title describes whats up now. Thank you
                Attached Files
                Last edited by shank1kole; 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM. Reason: additional info added

Comment

• markwade74
                  • Mar 2012

I have nothing of value to add, just wanna say I dig the shit outta what you doing

Comment

• shank1kole
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by markwade74
                    I have nothing of value to add, just wanna say I dig the shit outta what you doing
                    Thanks man, got the very bottom still here is dry and wet in process.leaving the ply in these bottoms for trunk strength.I resin coated them once, a half hour before I lay the first glass on wood, the wood soaks up a lot of resin usually.Keep in mind the tub is upside down in these.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• hillcat
                      • Mar 2015

Coming along nicely! I'm always impressed with someone who makes continuous steady progress. Not always easy.
                      Thanks for the pics keep 'em coming.

Comment

• shank1kole
                        • Dec 2015

Well I am shocked, the tub is weighing in at 25Lbs right now, and I started to wonder what the original Black vinyl seat weighed that came on it. thats 3/4 ply monster seat is 58 lbs.I work from home(custom woodworking shop), so that really helps me to fit 15 min in here or there during the day for my projects. Then there are the days I get pissed and stop work and say TODAY WE CHOP!

Comment

• shank1kole
                          • Dec 2015

This is the back of the rear seat,also shows thickness of one mesh layer.I used the tyvek tape and it was a great, parts popped off nice.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• shank1kole
                            • Dec 2015

My wife and daughter are trying to claim this one. My wife is a middle school counselor , she wants to roll up to first day next year on this!She thinks it will help her reach out to "kids like me" haha.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

Looks like she fits it...damn, guess you gonna have to ride that longfork shovel...

Found this Pan trike with a long Defiance girder which I thought was interesting:

Name:	trike, pan chop, long girder.jpg
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	1315224
                              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JakeF
                                • Sep 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                                Looks like she fits it...damn, guess you gonna have to ride that longfork shovel...

Found this Pan trike with a long Defiance girder which I thought was interesting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99633[/ATTACH]
                                That's right up the road from me. Nice shop.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;