Recommendations for lower timken on knuck springer stem?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firstripholdmybeer
    • Apr 2018

Recommendations for lower timken on knuck springer stem?

I've got a springer I want to run timkens on. There's a .25" lip at the bottom. Curious what's normally done if anything in order to run a timken. Should I shave it down or just run one on top of the lip?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6FB99BC7-95CF-47E8-ADD7-9B9AE4CC0363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1347960
  • ncmc47
    • Oct 2012

Usually a few taps with a small hammer, will dislodge the race for the ball bearings. As far as converting the lower stem for Timkins, I'm not sure. Years ago, I spent a couple evenings with a file trying to reduce the diameter of the stem so a Timkin would fit. I found out later I hadn't succeeded. I have thought about relieving the inside of the bearing with a Dremel and stone. If memory serves me, it is only the bottom 1/4" that needs to be enlarged.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

That is a lower bearing guard, meant to center the lower bearing race on the stem. Preston part #19382 for the BT 1936-48(#48361-38).

Remove it to install your lower tapered roller bearing cone.

see page 20A-10 here:
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
        • Apr 2010

That center I you see needs to be removed from stem to land timken bearing. Try boiling water, and then press on quickly with a slathering of oil.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;