Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Point being those Knuck and Pan and early Shovel strokers existed before there were more powerful options. Judged against their Indian and British contemporaries the only thing with more power was a built Vincent. They weren't elderly then.

All that shit is historic today. The modern Vincent analog is something like a Kawasaki H2R with over 300 ponies but cheap (under 60,000 to start) for what it is.

Comment

• datadavid
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by farmall
      Point being those Knuck and Pan and early Shovel strokers existed before there were more powerful options. Judged against their Indian and British contemporaries the only thing with more power was a built Vincent. They weren't elderly then.

All that shit is historic today. The modern Vincent analog is something like a Kawasaki H2R with over 300 ponies but cheap (under 60,000 to start) for what it is.
      Im usually stoned enough to forget my point completely, just reacted to comparing reliability with harley as a starting point, when the japs have had the rest of the world beaten in that field since the 70s.
      I dont love old britbikes or harleys because they are good machines, its just that if i stop climbing up the hill of mechanical inadequacy i would get no more leg training and would probably have to get a gym membership or some crap like that.

Comment

• Nanonevol
        • Feb 2017

I've got a relative who is always shaking his head at my 2 and 4 wheel projects and suggesting better engineered and built vehicles, usually Japanese or German but I tell him he misses the whole point of the hobby. The fun of making outdated machinery work to it's capacity or better and using it. I'ts worth doing and if we don't, who will? As to choppers, which this relative can not appreciate, it's folk art as I read Farmall say once. We're friggin artists and sensitive as shit, to quote John Lennon.
        Last edited by Nanonevol; 10-24-2019, 7:12 AM.

Comment

• hillcat
          • Mar 2015

Change the oil, shim the valves once in a while and ride it.
          I loved mine.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

'76?
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• hillcat
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
              '76?
              Eyeahhh... that's a little foggy. A long time ago.HaHa!
              It was a KZ1000 and I believe a '78 but not certain.
              Sold it with accident damage. A car turned left with no blinker and no room at an intersection in Boston. I clipped his rear right corner bumper with my points cover. I lifted my leg out of the way luckily but took out a set of points. Had to limp home on two cylinders. The guy never stopped.
              Had it a few years and many good times, kinda a bad ending but it led to my Sportster.

Comment

• datadavid
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                I've got a relative who is always shaking his head at my 2 and 4 wheel projects and suggesting better engineered and built vehicles, usually Japanese or German but I tell him he misses the whole point of the hobby. The fun of making outdated machinery work to it's capacity or better and using it. I'ts worth doing and if we don't, who will? As to choppers, which this relative can not appreciate, it's folk art as I read Farmall say once. We're friggin artists and sensitive as shit, to quote John Lennon.
                Not sensitive enough to die from spending hours by the roadside getting the p.o.s back together well enough to get home, luckily!

Comment

• shank1kole
                  • Dec 2015

Well I got to work out shipping, But I will post pics when she gets here.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by datadavid
                    Not sensitive enough to die from spending hours by the roadside getting the p.o.s back together well enough to get home, luckily!
                    Been there many times. Not for the weak.

Comment

• shank1kole
                      • Dec 2015

I am getting a quote from Haulbikes. I have read the old posts and don't want to try eBay haul or whatever.I am thinking if the one way from florida to michigan is over $800, Fuck it I am gonna fly down and ride her home. I do think the trike is up for it. I got it cheap enough I don't want to pay a third for hauling it home. I know a 1200 mile haul on an untried, new to me ride is asking to break down, but I have been working crazy for three years to get my company up and running and I am thinking of a good 2-3 days and some risk taking, no job red line life is what I need.Hell I may enjoy a break down at this point.Really if its gonna break... its gonna break and I already bought it so I might as well fix it wether its in florida kentucky,michigan, just please god not in Ohio!
                      just kidding Ohio brethren

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

Change oil to rid of any condensation or contamination, grab a couple of oil filters, dump the gas from carbs and tank, get fresh fuel, confirm all electrical connections good and clean grounds, confirm battery is good and charging, check ignition points and timing, be prepared to replace condensers as they have a shelf life, replace spark plugs(NGK B8ES) while you have them out for that compression test (WOT), check rear brakes, chain alignment, lubrication and tension (630 chain) and any type of lubricant in that unknown rear diff, make sure all cables lubed and operating without binding, the guy noted rear tires not perfect...check them for dry rot and make the determination if replace or ride, check that front end for proper tension (not floppy, sloppy or binding) and all wheel bearings (grab dem wheels, spin 'em, listen and watch) and those 'swiingarm' bushings for slop, lube, and ensure all major fasteners torqued. Enjoy the ride!
                        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-26-2019, 8:08 AM.
                        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shank1kole
                          • Dec 2015

Pre owner was a multi-cycle dealership this was for fun/ factory write offs.He is talking about the rear tires only riding on center 8 inches of wide tire (not enough weight in wide tires my experience makes ridges in tires). But I figured rent some tools from local automotive, check all said essentials THERE, buy 3 for all consumables, extra oil/fluids. Local tire dealer if need be.Then hit supermarket for a cooler and food/drink,cheap tool roll. I figure its a real quick way to Really get know her. Hopefully go for an hour check temps, piss. then go for it till I'm tired,find place to sleep campground/sleeping bag poncho tent if needed. wake up shitty feeling and then go home. If at anytime it goes sideways Ryder truck it is, or the Brolodex!

Comment

• shank1kole
                            • Dec 2015

I also would bring a gel pad and my sheep hide to put on that seat, it does not look comfortable for a 13 hour ride.

Comment

• Luky
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                              Been there many times. Not for the weak.
                              One time I was riding with a friend and his yamaha was stuck in 2nd gear. We took the engine apart in the parking lot
                              of a 7-11 up in the mountains and put the oil in milk cartons. We could not find the problem and put it all back together.
                              My friend rode his bike back home in 2nd gear. I won't forget that terrible noise of that 2 stroke on the freeway in 2nd gear.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                                • Feb 2017

OP:
                                I commend you for being willing to ride the bike back and take the risks that entails but if you decide not to, I've used
                                U Ship to ship bikes.
                                Get instant motorcycle shipping quotes from multiple carriers on uShip.com today!

You can get an estimate of the cost there, and then shippers can bid on the job and you can choose one or not. Maybe Haulbikes works the same, don't know.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;