CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bottom of piston, at 90 to the wristpin is what you want to measure...I saw Wiseco has a specific measurement down from the oil ring groove for measuring...is your bore round and not tapered?

Do you have precise measurements, to the hundredth of a mm, or ten-thousands of an inch? guessin' your measurement above is to be 71.9mm? If so, then your clearance is 0.1mm = 0.0039"

"original Wiseco piston box and it had the clearance on it. 0.0020 in - (0.051 mm)"

"Wiseco quote a 0.0020" (0.051mm) std clearance on all their piston kits and you will be ok with that.
    You can go from 0.0015" to 0.003" depending application.
    Lower end for street . Higher end for racing and turbo."

"Looks like factory piston clearance is 0.039 mm to 0.070 mm" [converted = 0.0015" - 0.0028"]

https://kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/5...wall-clearance

Get Adobe Flash player

so I measured and wrote it down in mm.from my measurements I get 7.205 mm on the tops and 7.208 on the bottoms(I used a piston with rings in, to level the gauge, made 4 measurements in each of the top, middle ,and bottom).I could not get any variances more than .002mm The pistons are 7.198-7.199mm at 90 degree to the wrist pin.I had an experienced mechanic eye the scratches he said hone it,ring it and run it. so I think this is acceptable,or am I reading these numbers all wrong?
    Last edited by shank1kole; 3 Days Ago at 1:08 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I also got damn pneumonia again.The medicine makes me shaky nervous and a bit high.I should note I used the spring loaded T shape gauges,then measured them with borrowed micrometers.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you want to know for sure a dial bore gauge is the way. Snap gauges are good enough for a grocery getter but if you want to be sure just take it to a machinist (not a mechanic, they are not quite the same thing) and have him measure multiple points with a dial bore gauge.

One wonderful thing I learned from hardcore DIY is what NOT to DIY.
    I don't do enough engines to pay for a boring bar and unless I score a dial bore gauge at auction I can't justify buying one since I don't own the boring bar. It's easy to take your cylinder for a few minute visit to an automotive machinist. Watch the process. It's educational. (A subtle trick to ensure thorough inspection is ask the machinist to show you since most will be glad to demonstrate.) I take my work to a race engine builder but because he's a car guy I bring all the tech data (FSM, piston makers recommendations) so I know he has the info. No machinist can afford all the tech data for every engine.

Is there some (preferably logical) reason you don't want to do that?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-gages.107701/

For metrology questions PM is worth a read, and everything else there is also worth a read:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...gauges-308698/

You'll sleep easier if you're picky. That project is worth the effort.
    Last edited by farmall; 2 Days Ago at 11:07 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yup, this is a Don't Do It Yourself.I am trying to do as much as possible,but I definitely am sending this out to Ape now.I really like the mechanic vs machinists comparison.I was a wreck for a couple days from shitty sleep, meds

Share This