CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The body will probably be 1/2 thick on top of the mold.This being a one off, I'm making the form, laying over then removing the inside buck or form.Then adding reinforcements inside if needed. I will play around with some front pieces for sure.The front tire has good down force now (over 100 lbs) but after the body gets mounted all will be checked out The main thing is The wife better stay small or we are gonna wheelie everywhere.The body is about 50 lbs now and will probably end up near 150lbs.Making a plate for the swingarm to mount wheelie bars on.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well... Hillcat got me thinking.So I got out the scale from the corner of the shop and weighed the trike at each tire.The totals kind of surprised me at 176 on the front and 253 on the rears each. We shall see after the tub is done and full load but maybe an auxiliary fuel and car battery properly place may be needed. I got pics of first coat dry, and knocked down quick with a flap disc(120 grit) before a second coat.I will do a weave instead of a mesh for the final outer shell tomorrow evening,after sanding that is.There is lots of work left but this is still fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0424.jpg   IMG_0425.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

You just need independent rear brakes so you can steer while doing wheelie. Haha

Get Adobe Flash player

I finished the 3rd and top coat of glass.Knocked it down and threw it back on and weighed her again.Front tire 205lbs and rears at 295lbs I'm satisfied with the way it feels sitting that its gonna work without total redo, but I know changes happen.Looks ugly and stinks some still. Hillcat check the side pic of "fin" edge on the mold it was an 1/8 inch edge at max and now is a slightly smashed garden hose. I will show this edge again to show its constant reprofile to give an idea of process total build up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0433.jpg   IMG_0436.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Removed the foam with a hoof pick / scraper.Filled a garbage bag with chunks.I will wash with TSP and acetone, after hitting with a wire wheel.with all the foam and added base removed except a 1/4 ply it amazingly weighs only 20 lbs.I expect to add about 30lbs back when done with final mounts but we shall see.After sanding down, the fin edge is about a sharpie edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0438.jpg   IMG_0439.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Two more, also grabbed a pound of the CHROME PC with clear that Drags did on a manifold.Im thinking the whole axle would look good with it on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0441.jpg   IMG_0442.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I think it's gonna look great.
    So does the form/buck that you use have to be disposable? I guess it would at least have to be made of multiple pieces for removal.

Get Adobe Flash player

For one offs no reason to save.if anything make a master mold off of the finished part if you want multiples.but that gets costly in glass and resin.

Get Adobe Flash player

I see a Cerakote box. I just picked up some high temp and am building a suitable oven extension for an electric oven.

Any tips for doing bike parts? I've a Thunderheader I want to coat but will of course do swatches and small parts first.

Get Adobe Flash player

I will be building a new oven soon as well. I used an electric oven with a box added to the front with a top door for about three years till it fried the out.I used to spend more time on firearm projects.From that ceramic and powder coating experiences on ww1 and ww2 parts covered in cosmoline still have the same answer to a good finish.You must be absolutely fucking insane about cleaning the parts a bunch.I spray a lot of lacquer so I filter and re use old thinner from my spray process.I have 3 five gallon pails with about 3 gallons of thinner in them in different filth stages.. I plug with rubber stops from hardware store any openings.then rinse let hang rinse repeat.I use blast cabinet for rough stuff and a soda blaster for everything decent.I found to heat the parts up then clean again. Barrel pins hold oil for about 3 heat/ clean cycles.Air blow off then depending on what your toping find the appropriate cleaner.and start over till you feel its clean.I also like to pre heat almost anything I spray even wood projects.I have never tried the chrome so I will do a couple small parts first.and also I am thinking

Get Adobe Flash player

lights are in, but only taped on.Works busy, will have tub done by end of the week with pics.Then pulling the engine to see if I go turbo.There is a certain Cool Cat here who offered one at fair price, I would run it with very low boost but would love the whistle and the look.To all who say thats a lot of time and cash for a cool look you are right, but its fuckin cool. The O.G. Turbo Z paint scheme is tits as well it would look good in flake on this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0453.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Holy Turbo!

Kawasaki Z1R-TC - The Psycho Turbo Z

"The TC was the result of slapping a turbo kit onto an otherwise standard Z1R. And I do mean slapping on. No internal modifications were made to the motor. No suspension change. No frame reinforcement. Just a turbo kit and about 10 lbs of boost knocking forty extra horsepower to the rear. Yep, the TC was rated for a staggering 130hp, in an era when a Ford 302ci V8 was wheezing out 140 hp on a good day."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawasaki+Z1R+Turbo.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	99495

"And it wasn’t just the horsepower tally that impressed, it was the way it made power that was truly breathtaking. By breathtaking I mean it would scare they everloving piss out of you with the most evil turbo lag this side of the ass-engined Porsche 930. Up until 4500-5000 rpm it behaved like a standard KZ. Then all hell would break loose and it would go tearing towards redline with a spurt of violent acceleration. Just like every other early turbo machine, in other words."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z1R+TC+Burnout.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	99496

https://www.odd-bike.com/2012/12/kaw...o-turbo-z.html

Get Adobe Flash player

I have not seen one exhaust system that I like on these chop or not, except the backwards turbo set up:confused.With the price of pipes or stainless made in house I would rather throw cash at the crazy ass turbo lag.Again wheelie/ drag bars are in the works.I only live 15 minutes from Milan drag way. I could do some runs a couple times a year hahaha. It s getting further into chop than a daily then but oh well I'm a little goofy when get going on projects.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check out the small car and modern motorcycle turbo culture as they got very good at that stuff and turbos have come a long way in durability too.

Turbos were not built for the old turbocharged bikes, they used off the shelf units too large to spool quickly. Nostalgia is great for engines but a turbo's a turbo so new turbo on ancient bike can give ya the best of both worlds.

Turbos live very long lives on diesels so a modest boost level should pose no problems. Everything from the 1970s is a fossil today so why not exploit new options t make a better fossil?

I'm a little goofy when get going on projects.
    Projects are for fun. If ya wanted a neutercommuterscooter you'd have bought one and modded nothing. Build what makes you smile!

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is bottom roughed. The wood will get cut out a lot, later.also this is another way to form up. I used 1/4 plywood, 2 inch tape,and then Tyvek tape with a light wipe of wax, then buffed of so only tiny film is left (slippery nut not wet haha).I used my electric power washer to clean the inside out before these pics. Dont use a 3500 psi to do this, I used a HF unit. Since it was 52 in michigan for a day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0450.jpg   IMG_0470.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

The wood packout on the sides will get smoothed and frenched,then a door panel for side storage and the back will get cut out and mounted to seat pan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0471.jpg   IMG_0472.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is the ply removed,and seat/trunk access cutout along with the side panel doors.All the tape removed quite easy, just wasn't done yet.

Also I searched and all I can can find is to ask the mods to change the thread title,I was thinking KZ 900 trike build. I don't know if its worth it.Im not sure if the current title describes whats up now. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0478.jpg  
    Last edited by shank1kole; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:19 AM. Reason: additional info added

Get Adobe Flash player

I have nothing of value to add, just wanna say I dig the shit outta what you doing

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by markwade74 View Post
    I have nothing of value to add, just wanna say I dig the shit outta what you doing
    Thanks man, got the very bottom still here is dry and wet in process.leaving the ply in these bottoms for trunk strength.I resin coated them once, a half hour before I lay the first glass on wood, the wood soaks up a lot of resin usually.Keep in mind the tub is upside down in these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0482.jpg   IMG_0484.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Coming along nicely! I'm always impressed with someone who makes continuous steady progress. Not always easy.
    Thanks for the pics keep 'em coming.

Share This