CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    '76?
    Eyeahhh... that's a little foggy. A long time ago.HaHa!
    It was a KZ1000 and I believe a '78 but not certain.
    Sold it with accident damage. A car turned left with no blinker and no room at an intersection in Boston. I clipped his rear right corner bumper with my points cover. I lifted my leg out of the way luckily but took out a set of points. Had to limp home on two cylinders. The guy never stopped.
    Had it a few years and many good times, kinda a bad ending but it led to my Sportster.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nanonevol View Post
    I've got a relative who is always shaking his head at my 2 and 4 wheel projects and suggesting better engineered and built vehicles, usually Japanese or German but I tell him he misses the whole point of the hobby. The fun of making outdated machinery work to it's capacity or better and using it. I'ts worth doing and if we don't, who will? As to choppers, which this relative can not appreciate, it's folk art as I read Farmall say once. We're friggin artists and sensitive as shit, to quote John Lennon.
    Not sensitive enough to die from spending hours by the roadside getting the p.o.s back together well enough to get home, luckily!

Get Adobe Flash player

Well I got to work out shipping, But I will post pics when she gets here.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by datadavid View Post
    Not sensitive enough to die from spending hours by the roadside getting the p.o.s back together well enough to get home, luckily!
    Been there many times. Not for the weak.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am getting a quote from Haulbikes. I have read the old posts and don't want to try eBay haul or whatever.I am thinking if the one way from florida to michigan is over $800, Fuck it I am gonna fly down and ride her home. I do think the trike is up for it. I got it cheap enough I don't want to pay a third for hauling it home. I know a 1200 mile haul on an untried, new to me ride is asking to break down, but I have been working crazy for three years to get my company up and running and I am thinking of a good 2-3 days and some risk taking, no job red line life is what I need.Hell I may enjoy a break down at this point.Really if its gonna break... its gonna break and I already bought it so I might as well fix it wether its in florida kentucky,michigan, just please god not in Ohio!
    just kidding Ohio brethren

Get Adobe Flash player

Change oil to rid of any condensation or contamination, grab a couple of oil filters, dump the gas from carbs and tank, get fresh fuel, confirm all electrical connections good and clean grounds, confirm battery is good and charging, check ignition points and timing, be prepared to replace condensers as they have a shelf life, replace spark plugs(NGK B8ES) while you have them out for that compression test (WOT), check rear brakes, chain alignment, lubrication and tension (630 chain) and any type of lubricant in that unknown rear diff, make sure all cables lubed and operating without binding, the guy noted rear tires not perfect...check them for dry rot and make the determination if replace or ride, check that front end for proper tension (not floppy, sloppy or binding) and all wheel bearings (grab dem wheels, spin 'em, listen and watch) and those 'swiingarm' bushings for slop, lube, and ensure all major fasteners torqued. Enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-26-2019 at 8:08 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pre owner was a multi-cycle dealership this was for fun/ factory write offs.He is talking about the rear tires only riding on center 8 inches of wide tire (not enough weight in wide tires my experience makes ridges in tires). But I figured rent some tools from local automotive, check all said essentials THERE, buy 3 for all consumables, extra oil/fluids. Local tire dealer if need be.Then hit supermarket for a cooler and food/drink,cheap tool roll. I figure its a real quick way to Really get know her. Hopefully go for an hour check temps, piss. then go for it till I'm tired,find place to sleep campground/sleeping bag poncho tent if needed. wake up shitty feeling and then go home. If at anytime it goes sideways Ryder truck it is, or the Brolodex!

Get Adobe Flash player

I also would bring a gel pad and my sheep hide to put on that seat, it does not look comfortable for a 13 hour ride.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nanonevol View Post
    Been there many times. Not for the weak.
    One time I was riding with a friend and his yamaha was stuck in 2nd gear. We took the engine apart in the parking lot
    of a 7-11 up in the mountains and put the oil in milk cartons. We could not find the problem and put it all back together.
    My friend rode his bike back home in 2nd gear. I won't forget that terrible noise of that 2 stroke on the freeway in 2nd gear.

Get Adobe Flash player

OP:
    I commend you for being willing to ride the bike back and take the risks that entails but if you decide not to, I've used
    U Ship to ship bikes.
    https://www.uship.com/motorcycles/
    You can get an estimate of the cost there, and then shippers can bid on the job and you can choose one or not. Maybe Haulbikes works the same, don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by shank1kole View Post
    I am getting a quote from Haulbikes. I have read the old posts and don't want to try eBay haul or whatever.I am thinking if the one way from florida to michigan is over $800, Fuck it I am gonna fly down and ride her home. I do think the trike is up for it. I got it cheap enough I don't want to pay a third for hauling it home. I know a 1200 mile haul on an untried, new to me ride is asking to break down, but I have been working crazy for three years to get my company up and running and I am thinking of a good 2-3 days and some risk taking, no job red line life is what I need.Hell I may enjoy a break down at this point.Really if its gonna break... its gonna break and I already bought it so I might as well fix it wether its in florida kentucky,michigan, just please god not in Ohio!
    just kidding Ohio brethren
    That is a nice looking trike. Good luck with your trip.

Get Adobe Flash player

Dang! This sounds like an adventure and what is better than an adventure?!
    Riding and if (knock wood) breaking down and renting a truck is a simple solution. Getting it in the truck may be another adventure though.
    Most of all I like your positive attitude. Life is short. You will remember your trip forever.
    Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks, Hillcat
    I am not committed to anything yet, but .... leaning towards adventure trike trip 2019! HAHAHAHAHAHA my wife is still bitching about it aint coming in the basement theres no room for the bikes let alone a damn trike. hahahahahaha

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shank1kole View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA my wife is still bitching about it aint coming in the basement theres no room for the bikes let alone a damn trike. hahahahahaha
    LoL that sounds like my EX wife........ LOL

Get Adobe Flash player

It's a Kawasaki. It should be fine. Do what TNC said except install a new battery instead of checking what's there because it may test good then shit the bed due to age. There's no reason not to and it protects the charging system vs. an old battery which can short due to sulfation or crumbs rattling loose while riding.

Bring or download a service manual and bookmark Kawasaki forums etc.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-27-2019 at 6:22 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you ride that beauty home, I'd LOVE to see/read about your trip.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had to give in and ship it, I could not afford to take the time off.This is the busiest time of year for me and if it took 4-5 days for some reason I would be a month behind on jobs. Should be here by the 11th.I just hope the damn snow holds off for a couple rides !! Thanks for the info/interest everyone.Also the more I read about these inline 4 cylinders has me dreaming of a turbo on this.....one day.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had to give in and ship it,
    You said a plane ticket was $100...maybe one of the guys on here want to go on an adventure and ride it to you...then buy 'em a plane ticket home...after you fed and drinked 'em.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd save a turbo for something expendable. He who makes his main ride a race bike walks often. However if you score another engine you could afford to frag one but everyone else did that thirty years ago which is why there are fewer donors.

You can also use a modern powerplant producing far more ponies and build another trike. The best way to go fast is start fast and used Hayabusas are affordable. If I went that route I'd use stock front suspension since all that cool old stuff is from an era of SLOW speeds by modern standards.

https://www.atv.com/blog/2017/09/hay...d-mondays.html

Get Adobe Flash player

Just for reference, this '81 Ironhead trike popped up today on Chopper Swap Meet fb site, $13,000:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ironhead trike chop, 1981, ,000.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	98108
    Custom trike. The Moonshiner Express fresh rebuild transmission and new seat, new wood work and new stereo in the whiskey barrel. $13k or possible trade!

Share This