CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug, thank you very much for taking the time to write all that out. Lot's of good information. I really enjoyed the stories and photos.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Whoremonger View Post
    In my opinion they are good up to 65-70 mph. But then, also in my opinion, oem hardtails are good only to 70 mph max. After that not fun.
    I consistently ran my long springered raked Z chop at over 100 MPH, got airborne while leaned over in corners, just a bit of of a wobble on landing (softail plungers) and the springer was pretty solid...not as good as my shocked P&P girder though...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    I consistently ran my long springered raked Z chop at over 100 MPH,

I got this bike over a 100 many times........ I never felt like I was going to wreck it felt stable to me....... But WTF did I know I was a kid..... LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FirstHarley.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

My two cents.

I had a short springer on my '55 Pan and my bud had a long springer on his raked '49 and they looked good.

Overall both bikes handled well on the open road. There were a few times when pushing a curve and hitting a road snake that caused a bit of butt pucker, but as long as you knew it was coming it was nothing that couldn't be overcome.

The day I wrecked my '55 I was doing 60mph on the Eisenhower Expressway and a guy in a van decided he wanted my lane more than I did. I shifted to the shoulder and then hit a series of potholes. I was not able to control the bike and after the third or fourth pot hole ended up going over the bars. The bike went into traffic and I rolled and bounced along the soft shoulder.

Could things have come out different on a tube front end, not sure, but my gut and years of racing dirt bikes says it would have.

Anyhow I am running a narrow glide on the '56 and am pretty happy, but I admit every time I see a long bike with a raked frame and a springer I think it would be great fun.....

Get Adobe Flash player

I love the way my bike feels and handles with my springer. This is my first hardtail and I was a little skeptical on how the overall comfort would be but so far so good, I almost prefer riding this to my FXR. Lower pressure in the rear and the springer make a fantastic combo for me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loaded.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	97823
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troglodyte_018.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	97824

Get Adobe Flash player

Thats a nice looking Triumph setup there, I like it, really enjoy the extra light down low, Was thinking of something similar on my rider. I dont generally like a Maggie sticking out of the side like that (The ARD up front or the preunit tucked in behind) but looks like you got it covered with the pipe somewhat, although Fwd controls would work.
    Cant tell what tire you have, but the old school tires were old bia plys and pretty durable, never saw too many failures. The trick was to run them at lower tire pressure for extra suspension cushion, although that number was up for debate. (15-20 psi?) Some tires would rub with the chain and not uncommon to see a diamond pattern on the sidewall, but if not too deep and no cords exposed was considered acceptable although I am sure Ralph Nader would crap purple twinkies.

I had a lot of shop customers who liked the old style tires but many rode a lot harsher, But I got many to switch to a modern 16" tire and they all said "I wished I had switched sooner, they ride so much better" I know a local guy building a vintage Indian and super proud of the vintage tires. I told him for a show bike fine, but not to ride with.

Heres a few shots from a 1984 Jammer catalog. I have a couple others. Would like to find the other issues. I also have their chapt 1-2 &3 tech guide which is awesome. Each issue was similar to the old AEE Catalogs and were more of a Magazine with lots of ads than a catalog. Each issue had bike features (With Jammer products naturally) a few stories and many tech articles how to use their products and build bikes. Lots of period biker chicks in the photos as well.

I have another one that features the "Chick Catcher" (Maybe it inspired Tattoo? )

But it was a feature where some dude ordered a chopper frame and all the parts from Jammer and then started getting laid, the article showed 2 sleazy biker chicks stripping for him while he is on his Jammer chopper The bike is built out of almost ALL Jammer choppers products and the ad text is hilarious and so cheesy,, "I know I got a good time comin'when i ride my Chick Catcher Jammer Chopper " Would give the #MeToo and the SJWs a conniption fit today. (Ill dig it out and scan it, post it up eventually in junk pile) I knew another lady who had a cool Sporty Bobber and we joked it was her Chick Catcher which ended up being extra funny as she dumped her husband and decided she liked chicks better

Other issues showed the springers and girders on a double page layout with bikes with them fitted in the background. They also sold parts for them and they had hard tails and chop frames for not only HD but Triumphs, BSA, Yamahas, Honda and Kawasakis. Sure was inspirational thumbing thru these old catalogs on a remote Air Force base or Fwd ops deployment dreaming up stuff to build when we got back to the US. We had desk drawers packed with catalogs and old issues of Sleazy Rider, Iron Horse, Big Bike and others. I still view bikes today thru those lenses,,,"Proper Choppers"

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	97829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	97830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	97831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	97832
    Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 10-23-2019 at 5:07 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Back in the early 80's this Norton was doing the rounds of shows all over England and the fella rode it everywhere at speed !!! ( Braver than me !!),... it looks like a cross between springers and Plunger rear ends !!……………...even had some weird rear suspension as well,....I'm guessing that technically it's a Trike !!??…. hahahahahaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails springer norton 1.jpg   springer norton 2.jpg   springer norton 3.jpg  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 10-23-2019 at 6:16 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug:
    I want to retro fit something like that to some of mine and want to research what I can use. To me,, thats the ideal setup, Dial in your springs and fit a small unobtrusive shock.
    Have you seen these:

Bike Station Shock Absorbers for Classic Springer Forks

These small oil/gas shocks replace the inner fork springs and the rods of the front spring fork of stock Springer forks. They support the outer fork springs and provide significantly improved suspension for your front end.

Name:	33006.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	97849
    https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...sh&page=!57297
    Install instructions: https://www.wwag.com/step/pdf/144497.pdf

guessin' you could source something similar, a gas charged cylinder, not made for springer ($$) and adapt 'em.

Installation with step by step pics:
    http://bl-graph.com/?p=3854

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug:
    I dont generally like a Maggie sticking out of the side like that (The ARD up front or the preunit tucked in behind)
    Seen the left side Morris magnetos:

MORRIS MAGNETO Triumph Twin '62 Up

Name:	MM-TRI-3T.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	97850
    This retardable (for easy kick or electric start) Morris Magneto is made for unit Triumph 500 / 650 / 750 c.c. motorcycles and is cam-driven through the tach port . It mounts out of the way on the lefthand side into the tach drive. Made in the USA.

http://www.sevensinschoppers.com/product_p/mm-tri.htm
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug:

Have you seen these:

Bike Station Shock Absorbers for Classic Springer Forks

These small oil/gas shocks replace the inner fork springs and the rods of the front spring fork of stock Springer forks. They support the outer fork springs and provide significantly improved suspension for your front end.

Name:	33006.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	97849
    https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObje...sh&page=!57297
    Install instructions: https://www.wwag.com/step/pdf/144497.pdf

guessin' you could source something similar, a gas charged cylinder, not made for springer ($$) and adapt 'em.

Installation with step by step pics:
    http://bl-graph.com/?p=3854
    That looks like a good solution, I will check those out, Many of the original springs were just whatever they could source in the 60s-70s-80s, plus it was more important the chrome looked good. Progressive wound and a inner/outer with counter turns helps,, but what you posted looks viable, thank you. (Would love to hear of anyone who has tried them)

Get Adobe Flash player

Seen the springer that Prof built on his Shovel chop at The Chopper Shed? (Lots of old school chopper fabbing there) on Choppers Australia website; he incorporated shocks in place of typical lower compression springs, and still used upper rebound springs for traditional look:

Springer build with a difference...

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/for...hp?f=60&t=8518

Get Adobe Flash player

Seen the springer that Prof built on his Shovel chop at The Chopper Shed? (Lots of old school chopper fabbing there) on Choppers Australia website; he incorporated shocks in place of typical lower compression springs, and still used upper rebound springs for traditional look:

Springer build with a difference...

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/for...hp?f=60&t=8518
    I have never seen that site before, But thank you for posting, There is some excellent ideas there that I can use. I will slurp the tech off there and put it in a PDF and print it out. Someone should do the same and put it in the tech section here and give that guy credit (Assuming he is okay with that).

I will say, ANYONE with any interest in fab work, or chop building can learn a thing or 3 from that work. I do agree with his statement on page 2 that using round stock would be easier, especially as a one off and non-production build because the oval tubing can lead to problems. (A jig would be helpful me thinks, I doubt I could pull that off without some sort of jig)
    I learned some great tech on heat control and TIG welding in aerospace work, but its easy to get stuff catty wampus with distortion. (Off by a thou on one end, off by a foot at the other)

Thanks again!

Get Adobe Flash player

Last winter I read every post in the Chopper Shed section of CA site, helped me lots to look at some simple ways to make chop shtuff work and gave me lots of ideas for tech and fab. Take a close look at the rear axle suspension Prof patented on his shovel chop, had 2 shocks with Honda 750 rear wheel, went hardtail, then custom fab hardtail-look suspension.

His fab is limited because of the Australian ridiculous rule of "The 550 Rule"; front axle can not be more than 550mm ahead of the middle of the frame neck, measured horizontally.

Also on fb: https://www.facebook.com/thechoppershed/
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-24-2019 at 6:40 AM. Reason: fab & 550

Get Adobe Flash player

Springers beat on your neck bearings more than telescopic forks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    Could things have come out different on a tube front end, not sure, but my gut and years of racing dirt bikes says it would have.
    That's my experience with a girder front end, it's awful hard to maintain control when you've bounced two feet in the air.

Get Adobe Flash player

Posted by DoomBuggy
    Not a lot of springers/girders/etc be seen in supercross, desert racing or anywhere performance on imperfect surfaces matters.

They're SUPPOSED to suck at function because they are Art intended to display defiance of function! It's like long fingernails and platform shoes on a hooker. The challenge then becomes to make them suck as little as practical, like putting a band aid on your dick after hitting it with a hammer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the kind words Doug. I'm running an MKII in the rear which seems to be fine, I'd like to see how a modern tire would feel but this one is brand new so maybe next time around. I'd love an ARD, the sleekness and look of those mags is really appealing. The hunt works well though, I just have to be careful in narrow areas ha!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    .....like putting a band aid on your dick after hitting it with a hammer.
    I just don't even want to know your point of reference on that one!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    I just don't even want to know your point of reference on that one!
    I know, I know..........

I've never had to do it myself but I've heard about it years ago........... I'm sure you have to if you think about it doom.................

A pic of a girder mid-fail?

A pic to show off his new creation or for an insurance claim?

To think what these guys could have thought up with today's weed.

Share This