CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default My New Shovelhead Swingarm .............

I don't know what you do State side to upgrade the swingarm on a Shovelhead,
    but here in England there is a great firm, METMACHEX SWINGARMS who build bespoke
    swingarms for pretty much any bike to improve handling and cut weight,
    when finished they are mirror polished and look fecking great,...
    they also do extended swingarms for drag racing,...
    Price is 550 ($715) + the ride to wherever you are, which I don't think is excessive ....
    I had one on my Z1 Kawasaki I was dragging 20 years ago and the difference from stock is amazing
    this is mine in the process of being built,... the other pic is another one they do for FXR's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails metmachex swingarm (2).jpg   metmachex swingarm 2.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

That is a slick looking piece. Seems like a reasonable price as well. Would like to see it all together

Get Adobe Flash player

it I hope will be with me in a week or two,...when it's here I put up pics fitting it and when finished.
    This is the shovelhead it's going in.....
    http://metmachex.net/swingarms/#prettyPhoto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1122 - Copy (2).jpg  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 10-19-2019 at 2:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

We don't since it's really just for appearance (it will look great on your particular flavor Shovel!) on the street and typical vintage drag race Shovels are rigid framed to be rid of the heavy stock frame. The few FXR Shovels are more curiosities (i.e. "what is that classic engine doing in that ugly ass frame!") which don't see a lot of mods. They are fairly popular on large displacement Evo and Twin Cam conversion FXRs. Mine will get one if the 124" reveals a need.

The old Jap bikes certainly needed beefed swingarms which is why modded arms were so popular.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-19-2019 at 3:17 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    We make it a ridged............... That's the up grade over here...... LOL

But seriously, That is a really cool looking custom swingarm for sure........

Get Adobe Flash player

I been wanting a METMACHEX swingarm for my Buell for over 20 years .. !!

That's B-B-B
    (Billy-Bad-Boy)
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-19-2019 at 6:32 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    We make it a ridged............... That's the up grade over here...... LOL.
    have had rigids for40+ years now but as I get old I find meself falling apart and riddled with Arthritis and need 2 new hips so a swingarm bike is the only way I can ride,....sad but true,...…

go for it Dragstews,.... I had one on my old Z1 years ago and they do the job real well as well as looking great

Get Adobe Flash player

have had rigids for40+ years now but as I get old I find meself falling apart and riddled with Arthritis and need 2 new hips so a swingarm bike is the only way I can ride,....sad but true,...…
    I know what your talking about, all but the two hips that is........ Yep it's sad but true........

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd rather have the swingarm in the first place. Piss on suffering while riding to look cool whilst parked. My spine is worth more than any vehicle(s).

Given Shovel rear suspension geometry is horrible too I've air shocks awaiting install but haven't cared enough to do it yet. Irish Rich posted this simple mounting info: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...0&postcount=17

Hip replacements are easy meat today and since supposedly shoulders are much worse (I'm rehabbing after a total shoulder replacement) then I won't hesitate to have a hip or both done. Putting that off doesn't accomplish anything but pain. If I'd know the shoulder joint was fucked up and the pain wasn't just from neuropathy I'd have had it replaced years ago.

Just get it done, follow aftercare instructions and do the rehab exercises. Waiting further into old age makes recovery suck more and denies you the usability of the replaced joints. It's VERY easy to work on or move whatever ya like without beating your joints up if you have a system and enjoy simple puzzles. I'm a mechanic and don't need to heave on anything or lift heavy shit by hand because technology is my friend.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by
    I'd rather have the swingarm in the first place. Piss on suffering while riding to look cool whilst parked.
    It has nothing to do with looking cool to me....... I like the way they ride when they are set up correctly......

A rigid bike never hurt me any worse than a swingarm bike, Hitting a bump/pothole no matter what your riding, can hurt if you can't prepare for it before hitting it.......................

Get Adobe Flash player

go for it Dragstews,.... I had one on my old Z1 years ago and they do the job real well as well as looking great
    Been waiting for em to go down in price a bit...
    (But instead, they keep going up ...)

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Been waiting for em to go down in price a bit...
    (But instead, they keep going up ...)
    when I bought my first METMACHEX swingarm in 1997 for my Z1 it cost me 777 !!!,... that was at the time with the exchange rate back then at 2 bucks to the pound, it would have been $1500 !!,....
    since then, 'METMACHEX ENGINEERING' who used to make them, decided to get into big buck aerospace engineering and sold the Swingarm side of the business to their coded welder Gary and his wife about 2-3 years ago.
    and the price is now 550 ($715) so real price has sort of halved,... plus I like supporting a small family run business that makes quality products,....
    this is a pic from 'AWOL' magazine back in 98 with me and my Z1000 drag racing at the HAMC ENGLAND's 'BULLDOG BASH' with the METMACHEX swingarm on it,.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0641.jpg  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 10-20-2019 at 2:48 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh and Jessie, don't know what BUELL you have but this is for the Buell S1 Lightning,... Kin Nice,...
    ..............go on, I Know Where You Can Get It If You Want It !! hahahahaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buell s1.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Do it Drag! Your Buell NEEDS that swingarm and they ain't getting cheaper. My spider sense says Davestune's future dual carb conversion should cover the cost nicely.

Hitting a bump/pothole no matter what your riding, can hurt if you can't prepare for it before hitting it.......................
    They hurt a lot less or not at all with effective suspension. That's why my FXR gained better springs and air shocks which I promptly slam-tested on my hideous local roads and rail crossings. All those "adventure" bikes with lovely long travel suspensions old bikers buy today are no accident. Sportster "Dirtster" conversions are also becoming more popular because they cure the shit rear suspension and low front fork travel.

Speaking of shit fork travel this thread inspired me to order these for my FXR since a couple of inches is significant. https://trackerdie.com/collections/s...-tube-assembly I'll post results. Longer rods could be machined for 35mm forks as there isn't much to a damper rod. Unlike extending tubes, extending damper rods increases fork travel while gaining ride height. I'll post a review.

Facts don't have feelings and the ability of suspension to absorb and dissipate shock is measurable and measured on suspension dynamometers. The "it doesn't hurt (right now)" metric isn't data, it's anecdote.

By all means enjoy what you enjoy but rose colored glasses should be enjoyed for the view. If they could cushion my L4 area (next in line for surgical intervention!) I'd wear them 24/7!

Get Adobe Flash player

By all means enjoy what you enjoy but rose colored glasses should be enjoyed for the view.If they could cushion my L4 area (next in line for surgical intervention!) I'd wear them 24/7!

I don't blame you............ LOL

Get Adobe Flash player

I dig the fact my hotrod rigid shovel is lighter than stock and accelerates well. I know stock rigid frames are heavy, too.... But, i'm sorely tempted to stick my powertrain in a krafttech swingarm frame.. Especially as they do a model that accepts the five speed evo trans and primary I use.

Tzienlee- that bike of yours rocks .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chopper 42).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	97743
    Last edited by Hoghead; 10-21-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for that Hoghead,... much appreciated fella,...… you have a very tidy shovel yaself !!….
    Last edited by tzienlee; 10-21-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    I dig the fact my hotrod rigid shovel is lighter than stock and accelerates well. I know stock rigid frames are heavy, too.... But, i'm sorely tempted to stick my powertrain in a krafttech swingarm frame..
    If you're gonna change frames I'd rubbermount for comfort. You could run a bagger five speed to put the oil tank below the transmission (never wet sumping and ditching my FXR oil tank pleased me greatly) and the rubber mount drivetrain has much lower vibes. The Kraftech frames aren't ugly like stock FXR frames. I see you run forwards so you could use the bagger primary too though if you want mids you can drill the inner for the FXR shifter shaft. You can easily make a removable crossmember so you can drop the bagger oil pan in the frame. The Kraftech comes with the three bolt mount pad for traditional jiffy stands and forward controls as used on your current ride. They're a great way to recycle a bagger drivetrain should you decide to build another bike. If your trans has special innards you want to transfer swapping cases is easy.

http://www.krafttechinc.com/PDF%20fi...vidual/FXR.pdf
    Last edited by farmall; 10-21-2019 at 5:36 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hammer of God rs.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	97777

I forget the company that made the swingy on this shovel (no longer around),
    but I do like the eccentric wheel adjusters a little better than the sliders.
    I remember Sputhe was making aluminum swing arms, although very rare, not sure
    if Sputhe made a shovel arm, but I know he made 'em for FXR & even softails if you
    can believe that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    If you're gonna change frames I'd rubbermount for comfort. You could run a bagger five speed to put the oil tank below the transmission (never wet sumping and ditching my FXR oil tank pleased me greatly) and the rubber mount drivetrain has much lower vibes. The Kraftech frames aren't ugly like stock FXR frames. I see you run forwards so you could use the bagger primary too though if you want mids you can drill the inner for the FXR shifter shaft. You can easily make a removable crossmember so you can drop the bagger oil pan in the frame. The Kraftech comes with the three bolt mount pad for traditional jiffy stands and forward controls as used on your current ride. They're a great way to recycle a bagger drivetrain should you decide to build another bike. If your trans has special innards you want to transfer swapping cases is easy.

http://www.krafttechinc.com/PDF%20fi...vidual/FXR.pdf
    Wow-cheers Farmall, didn't know these existed...

Share This