Name:	Weaselmount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	1345691
    and here:
    Attached Files
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Now that's different and cool to boot......................

Comment

• Nanonevol
      • Feb 2017

Thanks, I was told it was built by "Jake the Weasel", an associate of George Barris.
      I asked Joji Barris, his daughter and she did not remember the name but said it could be before her time.
      Would love to have seen it "finished".
      The fenders are a bit like early Triumph fenders but even more filled out. May be an aftermarket part or a one-off.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Now that got some cool stuff. Is there a frame number on that front section? Looks like a 1970 piece as the front engine plates bolt on. Are the fenders fiberglass - looks like it from the side hole near the license plate mount. Neat the way that chain guard is integrated in there. That front fender is reminiscent of a '63 6T Thunderbird:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	x63Tri6T-Tbird-R.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uay9Pe4ac3.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1313670

Looks like those are bolt on wheel covers...I've seen that style of bolt on hardtail before, the way the tubes join to the axle plate is rather unique.
        Guessing a toolbox bolted onto the hardtail like this one from a 1940-'57 Big Twin:

Name:	915R3yuOY0L._SX466_.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1313669

What year is the engine? Got the rest of the parts to rebuild it?
        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-19-2019, 10:39 PM.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

It's a cool odd duck and Triumph unit twin engine parts are inexpensive.

The big question with that bodywork would be what to paint it.

Comment

• Hatchet54
            • Sep 2012

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1313671

Comment

• Nanonevol
              • Feb 2017

The number on the frame is barely legible and there is no title. I'll work the system to get one somehow.

The engine cases are 1967, just like it says on the British style plate. Don' t know if I'll try to built that up or find a complete engine.
              The fenders are all steel. Magnetic.

Maybe paint it in Pearl Gray and Tangerine like a '59

Or Batmobile Black and Orange

The big question is what kind of pipes? Fishtails?

It'll mostly have to wait as I'm deep into my 66 BSA Lighting now. Cranks out for a dynamic balance.
              But that's a stock bike, not a chopper, so won't share that here.
              Last edited by Nanonevol; 10-20-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

BSA build info is always welcome since it certainly applies to choppers.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                  • Feb 2017

Closer inspection shows this is a numbers matching 1967.
                  The motor mounts in the front were cut off and the tube drilled for make-shift 1970 style mounts as noticed by TriNortchopz.

Also learned that old British bikes used triangular tool boxes at some point.

So nobody has heard of "Jake the Weasel"?
                  Last edited by Nanonevol; 10-21-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• JakeF
                    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                    Shhh....

Comment

• datadavid
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                      Closer inspection shows this is a numbers matching 1967.
                      The motor mounts in the front were cut off and the tube drilled for make-shift 1970 style mounts as noticed by TriNortchopz.

Also learned that old British bikes used triangular tool boxes at some point.

At least anything you do to it will be an improvement, those tins dont inspire me personally to do anything but cut excess fat. Everything is just a little off frame wise as well.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

It'll mostly have to wait as I'm deep into my 66 BSA Lighting now. Cranks out for a dynamic balance.
                        Are you sure it's a 1966 crank in there?

Tech Tip: BSA A65 Cranks - Early vs Late
                        "In 1966, BSA 650 model line up (and A50 500 models) where fitted on the drive side with a roller bearing (68-0625) which replaced the earlier deep groove ball bearing (67-1240)...Replacing the bearing also meant switching from a one-piece bearing to a two-piece part, which also required a thrust washer (part no 68-0685) on the timing side to center the crankshaft and protect the crankcase...The first well-known difference between 62 - 65 ball bearing cranks (68-0175/68-0179) and 66-and-up roller bearing cranks (68-0734) is that the earlier cranks are narrower...the later cranks need extra space to fit a thrust washer against the right-side shoulder and need more space to allow this...In later, post-65 crankcases, however, any crank and any bearing option can be fitted as long as it's properly shimmed and centered."
                        See pics and crank measurement specs here: https://www.classicbritishspares.com...vs-late-cranks
                        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Nanonevol
                          • Feb 2017

It's hard to be sure of anything on a 50 year old engine.

But, yeah I've read that tech tip which answers some questions but I don't think has the whole situation sorted out.

1966 was the transition year so I have "late" (66-up) cases which I can tell by the thickness of the case on the drive side.
                          My crank (that did not come in these cases) must be "early" because the counterweights are the same thickness.
                          (But I've read elsewhere that early cranks had two sludge traps and mine has one so...)
                          I'll probably use a ball bearing so won't need a thrust washer (or shims possibly) but don't know until I can test fit it.

Doug the Annoyance probably knows all that esoteric BSA stuff.

I'm cheap but spending money on the important stuff for a reliable motor. Dynamic balanced crank, machinist to line bore the timing side bush, NOS piston type OPV and I plan to spring for the Hepolite cast iron oil pump.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by datadavid
                            At least anything you do to it will be an improvement, those tins dont inspire me personally to do anything but cut excess fat. Everything is just a little off frame wise as well.

Comment

• Skjoll
                              • Oct 2018

Kinda reminds me of a Mustang except for the larger wheels.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;