Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nanonevol
    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Skjoll
    Kinda reminds me of a Mustang except for the larger wheels.
    You mean these little things?

You couldn't say it reminds you of an Old Chief?!

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Nanonevol
      You mean these little things?

You couldn't say it reminds you of an Old Chief?!
      That's a four not a Chief!
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Nanonevol
        • Feb 2017

Right, Just making sure everyone's paying attention.

Comment

• Skjoll
          • Oct 2018

... You couldn't say it reminds you of an Old Chief?!...]
          LOL, sorry man.

Comment

• Nanonevol
            • Feb 2017

Quite alright. People seem to love it or hate it.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

I like it, because it's different...................

If that isn't a 50s 60s British chopper nothing is............
              Last edited by Tattooo; 10-23-2019, 7:13 PM.

Comment

• Skjoll
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                I like it, because it's different...
                Agreed. As a unique custom build project it has potential. But if it was an attempt to look like an Indian Chief, just for argument's sake, it would be a fail because the proportions are all wrong. How the builder wants the bike to be perceived can make or break the build.

Comment

• Tricky13
                  • Mar 2017

Very odd looking custom and not to my taste but then its from the 70s by the look of it....it still reminds me of a child's bike with the handlebar tassels.....wont bother with the pic this time as i dont want my post deleted like on the other forum....some people have no sense of humor.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

The point of the thing was never being graceful like the lines of a Chief, the point was funk and it is funky indeed, like the Mustang. It has more of a period scooter flavor than stock motorcycle or even chopper and that's what makes it interesting.

It needs a light color to show off the lines. Black and orange look great on a classic Bonneville but this bike has far more surface area and the only reason to put it back running is that custom bodywork, Dark colors over large areas make bodywork disappear so they should be used sparingly. as in two tone car paint of the era.

Pink and black like a vintage Ford Fairlane would work as it does for the car. So would the right blue. The styling is straight from the pastel car color era which is why it looks odd on a motorcycle. It's incomplete without the right paint job and a healthy dose of chromed parts.

Another period paint job that would work is to Union Jack the fuck out of it. The UK retro scooter scene have plenty of art to copy or decals to use like flags, aircraft roundels etc. That's more in your face than a period pastel and would stand out at events. Image search "union jack scooters" then ignore the crap and look for the kool. Some have that style wheel cover painted with roundels and it looks right.
                    Last edited by farmall; 11-11-2019, 4:11 PM.

Comment

• hillcat
                      • Mar 2015

Yucko

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                        • Sep 2013

It's different alright. I kinda like it.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                          • Feb 2017

See there you go - love it or hate it.
                          I appreciate the paint suggestions Farmall and welcome any others.
                          I'm thinking two-tone. The large flat area on the rear fender is problematic.
                          I've given a couple color suggestions to my sister to Photoshop.

Comment

• DustyDave
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Google rainbow Chief for some vintage custom paint ideas.
                            Dusty
                            Driving that train, high on cocaine
                            Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                            Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                            And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

The large flat sides of the fenders are deliberate choices by the designer. He wanted that real estate enough to fabricate that scooteresque look and chose the chunky rather than graceful lines. If he wanted classic lines and to accentuate them with a paint job he'd have fabbed differently.

To make it work it's probably a good idea to get in that same head space and look at as many similar Brit customs of that era as you can find photos of. Painting it like a Chief would just look like a pathetic, stumpy, ugly, imitation of a Chief no matter how good the paint job but there are many ways to use two-tone paint. Just because it's got a (small, cheap at the time, not visually imposing which is deliberate) 500 in it doesn't mean that's more than a way to move the artwork. The engine is the focus of a chop while the bodywork is the focus of a mod scooter.

Best to suspend all traditional chopper thoughts because it isn't even close to a traditional custom and not quite a chopper. Triumph/Norton/BSA chops tend lean and slender which the builder deliberately avoided. This custom isn't a Rocker bike, it's a Mod bike. I suspect the builder had fun crossing traditional lines and wanted a reaction which is the point of show bikes/scooters. Mods uses two tone paint and stripes differently than traditional motorcyclists, often with darker central colors and lighter sides but both were common. The scooters used in Quadrophenia were influential.

Of course scooter engines are hidden but they're fan cooled and that 500 isn't. The front fender is exaggerated Vespa, not Indian. Any seat should probably avoid black and go for a medium or light brown/beige or any of the common 1960s two-tones. Check out custom Vespa pics for examples of how they cut the vinyl.

For any shiney bits I'd look at how mods used accessories, but I'd not drown it in lights because that blocks a clear view of the bodywork from all angles.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by farmall; 11-15-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                                • Feb 2017

Many good points. A wannabe anything would be a mistake. I'm trying to let what I have be the unique inspiration.
                                The safe bet would be a simple two tone, blue or orange and pearl white maybe. I don't want to go with the Union Jack thing - too nationalistic
                                for my taste. (I did stars and stripes on my other bike but in gloss black on flat black - a statement?)
                                But I dig the roundels and wouldn't have thought of that. Maybe a two tone black and white seat or- as in photo above, leopard skin?!
                                Photoshop will help a lot here.
                                By the way, its a 650 not a 500. No rockers gonna outrun me.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;