CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Index and Redrill Rear Pulley Bolt Holes (Billet) Hub

My Ultima 18x8.5 rear wheel pulley bolts were backing out. They were fine for last nine years or so. I pulled the Wheel, removed 'n replaced the bolts with new, provided liberal RED Loctite as usual...then the weird happened.

I was pushin' in the new bolts with my hammer ratchet (very low torque), and noticed after the last bolt was seated, and getting ready to do final torque, that red Loctite had spewed out from behind the Pulley. On closer inspection, two of the three bolts hairline cracked the rear wheel hub ever so slightly, about 1/2 long allowing the Loctite under pressure to blow out the crack. The cracks are about one inch from outboard edge. I was still able to get the bolts torqued, but I don't like it.

Has anyone ever indexed, and redrilled Pulley bolt holes in Billet hubs?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I bet too much liquid red Loctite (I use gel and wipe it into the bolt threads then wipe off the excess, never squirt it into holes because it's job is not to compress) hydrolocked against the bolts which acted as pistons unless the replacement bolts were too long. Never install bolts into aluminum using an impact gun without a torque limiter (so basically none in the hobby world), just run them in but actually torque by hand so you can feel obstructions. I love red Loctite applied correctly. I cracked something minor that way as a young'un, not on a bike, which is why I remembered. Shit happens and as machinists say he who makes no scrap does no work!

To transfer hole markings from your pulley, mark center between original bolt holes with a transfer punch, (which is a prick punch with cylindrical body) through the pulley to ensure correct alignment, verify that mark is correct, place pulley centered on punch mark then use a transfer punch to mark the rest of the holes. If you want to be extra picky you can mark, drill, tap, install one bolt, then do the others since the first bolt prevents pulley shift. Harbor Freight has transfer punches and there are many available online. They are marking punches and not for violent use. Best layout dye is a Sharpie marker which is why many machinists use them.

I'd replace the wheel if it were mine since cracks can exist out of sight but if they only used three bolts there should be plenty of metal left. Post a pic so we all know what you are looking at.

Harbor Freight has transfer punches. They are marking punches and not for violent use. Best layout dye is a Sharpie marker which is why many machinists use them.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-16-2019 at 4:22 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

...two of the three bolts hairline cracked the rear wheel hub ever so slightly,...
    I am really surprised there are only 3 bolts holding the pulley on. Guessing you got enough torque to pull them sideways.
    Is the rotor mounted with 5 bolts?

Since a plan is to re-index the pulley holes, is there a reason you would not consider going with 5 holes - the spacing between them is 72 degrees.
    Is the billet hub solid?
    Would you be able to space 5 bolts so they bolts would not interfere with the rotor bolts on the other side while still missing the existing 3 pulley holes?
    Perhaps you could use longer bolts and maybe one size larger (such as 7/16" to 1/2"), then drill rotor to match?

I see most rotors already have 5 holes, so should make for simple future replacement.
    Make sure the shoulder of the bolt, and not the threads, are in the holes of the pulley.
    Ultima pulley:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manhattan_Pulley.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	97666

Guess I wasn’t clear ‘nuff. Yes, 5 bolts. Decided to go with an American Wire Wheel, 60 Spoke. I try to salvage everything I can...sometimes to a fault. Better judgement finally prevailed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wise move and much better than becoming a meat crayon.

Got my American Wire 60 spoke off eBay for $209!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA8CB580-D046-4765-A60E-55D0BBDFCCFA.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	98051
    Last edited by Doap; 10-31-2019 at 6:32 PM. Reason: Picture

Share This