Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hatchet54
    • Sep 2012

Anybody know where to find these? Exhaust shields

I know LowBrow, J&P and a few other places sell these, but none of them are long enough for my pipes, and frankly, I ain't terribly interested in shelling out 75 bucks for some Chinese metal as that is more than what I paid for my mufflers...

Anybody have any ideas? I started looking at dryer tubing at the hardware store but didn't think I was headed in the right direction. None of it was near flexible enough.

Going for this look
    Click image for larger version

Name:	519860ak.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1345680
    Last edited by Hatchet54; 10-12-2019, 12:02 PM.
  • KrisCarr
    • Oct 2019

Looks to me like flexible metal conduit. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191012-110545_Google.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	1313557

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

I agree.
      Same company, random pic: http://www.afcweb.com/flexicon/metal...xible-conduit/

Might be a high grade stainless conduit polished by the owner. Lots of conduit that is galvanized cheapshit in hardware stores can be had in higher grades. I'd carry that pic to an electrical supply house if you get no joy on the internet. It will still get hot since unlike shields there is no airflow between a sealed conduit and the inner pipe so what you'd get is a sexy double-walled exhaust pipe, not a (much) lower temp exhaust pipe.

You don't want "liquid tight" conduit unless you like the idea of melting PVC liner!

Post what you find out as it looks rather nice.
      Last edited by farmall; 10-12-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Hell those ain't anything special they have been around forever.......

I had an older used set on the Dixie queen..............
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hatchet54
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Tattooo
          Hell those ain't anything special they have been around forever.......

I had an older used set on the Dixie queen..............
          I realize they've been around forever, lol. But for not being anything special they sure are hard to come by! Maybe I don't know the right terms to search for or something.

Thanks for the tips on the metal conduits. I'll see if I can find an electrical supply place somewhere around here. This might be just the direction I needed.

Hopefully it works out. $27 for 25 ft sounds a lot better than $58 for 13 inches

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hatchet54
            I realize they've been around forever, lol. But for not being anything special they sure are hard to come by! Maybe I don't know the right terms to search for or something.

Thanks for the tips on the metal conduits. I'll see if I can find an electrical supply place somewhere around here. This might be just the direction I needed.

Hopefully it works out. $27 for 25 ft sounds a lot better than $58 for 13 inches
            Have you looked on ebay?????? They made them out of stainless for years........ You might be able to fine some new old stock items...........

Comment

• Hatchet54
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Tattooo
              Have you looked on ebay?????? They made them out of stainless for years........ You might be able to fine some new old stock items...........
              I've tried the bay but don't really know what to search for I guess. I've been lookin at "flex exhaust covers", "flexible exhaust shields", "motorcycle flex pipe" etc...did the Harley catalogs have a specific name for these things?

Comment

• nuklhd
                • Sep 2013

How much longer do you need over the stock length?

Comment

• hillcat
                  • Mar 2015

Maybe try "corrugated" exhaust pipe.

Comment

• Pliers
                    • Feb 2018

Calbrite.com, although, i should add: if you have 1.75 pipes and you use a trade size conduit product you'll have to get 2" greenfield (flex, corrugated conduit,etc). The problem here is that conduit is measured I.D. so the the O.D
                    Will be prob at 2.5 which may be too big and/or look weird.

You might check metric sizes to get closer to the pipe....good luck, post what you end up doing
                    Last edited by Pliers; 10-13-2019, 5:22 AM. Reason: add stuff

Comment

• tzienlee
                      • Apr 2024

if ya heart is set on flexi cover fair enough,
                      but if you just wanted something not the norm,
                      this might be something you'd like to do, not expensive either….
                      Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

This guy got his from JC Whitney; https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post8997475

I stumbled on the above while looking for new Evo exhaust snap rings and found stainless are available from McMaster-Carr. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8001156

I ordered eight (having bench stock rocks). No sense using a ring that rusts when there's a cheap alternative.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by farmall
                          This guy got his from JC Whitney; https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post8997475

I stumbled on the above while looking for new Evo exhaust snap rings and found stainless are available from McMaster-Carr. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8001156

I ordered eight (having bench stock rocks). No sense using a ring that rusts when there's a cheap alternative.
                          Nothing at JCWhit, but hey, that's a great tip about the rings. I just ordered two myself

Comment

• Hatchet54
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by tzienlee
                            if ya heart is set on flexi cover fair enough,
                            but if you just wanted something not the norm,
                            this might be something you'd like to do, not expensive either….
                            Not the look I am after for this particular bike, but that is an awesome idea man. Definitely putting that on the backburner for future builds...where did you find the stuff?

Comment

• Hatchet54
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by nuklhd
                              How much longer do you need over the stock length?
                              A good bit, the Harley cuts I keep finding are like 10" and 12" and I probably need something like 15"

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;