Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kryzstov
    • May 2016

FUELPAX Container on Sissy Bar

Im considering buying a FuelPax gas container and mounting it on my sissy bar for long trips on my Panhead. If anyone is doing the same, what mount did you go with and how are you mounting it? I'd love to see pics please. Thanks in advance.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

You can mount the gas can where you want it, welding a plain plate to the bar then bolting on their mount or yours.

The full line up of all RotopaX Containers

I'd make sure my bitch bar and its mounts were fucking stout since a load on a bar will "whip" to some degree (even if not visible). Any nuts I used would be all-metal locknuts with anti-seized threads and bolts would be Grade 5 or 8, but no mystery hardware.

You could cut out cardboard as sample mount plates.

Alternate option I will do if I ever use one:
    Don't want to grind and weld your bitch bar? Mount a plate with aircraft cushion clamps (use locknuts on the hardware) and let the clamp cushions dampen the vibes. Fast, easy, reversible and holds countless components on jet fighters pulling 9 G's. MilSpec surplus clamps are plentiful on Ebay. I'd get stainless steel rather than aluminum for best tab strength. I fucking love aircraft hardware.

Something like their Universal plate should get it done. You could cut simple cross straps out of steel flat bar and radius the ends for appearance, drill ends for clamps, and bolt to their plate where you wish since you can add holes as needed.

What I did to hang a large ammo can off my FXR's bitch bar:
    Make four straps out of 1/4" (you can use 3/16" but it was handy and I carried heavy shit in that can! I destroy normal soft and fiberglass bags) plate. Drill straps and can. One strap on either side of bitch bar sandwiched the bitch bar and gave enough offset to clear the ammo can lid from the bar. Your mount could be much prettier and use stainless steel hardware and aluminum strap.

If you want an ultra clean slip on mount and your bar has enough taper to stop the can from bottoming out before kissing the fender you could take two blocks of Delrin or UHMW and V cut them then sandwich them between two plates.

Imagine two halves of a hot dog bun grooved to slide over the end of the hot dog. Then picture a triangular hot dog and grooves! (Drugs may help.)

I'm not that motivated and run short bitch bars but it would work and dismount would be as quick as grabbing the can and lifting the whole thing off. The plastic would keep it quiet and protect the bitch bar.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-12-2019, 3:59 PM.

Comment

• Kryzstov
      • May 2016

Farmall, thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it. Tons of great advice. I’m going to make cardboard mount plate template, start bending a new sissy bar and see where it leads me. Thanks again

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Post pics of your build and result!

Comment

• Kryzstov
          • May 2016

Ok here you go. It may look a little ghetto, buts it’s only for the occasional long trip and it’s solid...

I took your advice on the aircraft straps (thank you), then added some stability by making a couple of bars attached to the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9354.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	1313714Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9355a.jpg
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	1313717Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9358.jpg
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	1313715
          Last edited by Kryzstov; 10-22-2019, 9:14 PM.

Comment

• Hatchet54
            • Sep 2012

That shit is sweet!

Comment

• Kryzstov
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Hatchet54
              That shit is sweet!
              Hahaha thanks so much

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                • Sep 2013

Really cool man, nothing like having a little extra in reserve. Looks like it will hold up well.

Comment

• Kryzstov
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer
                  Really cool man, Looks like it will hold up well.
                  Thanks so much. I appreciate it

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Nicely done!

Comment

• LisaBallard
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kryzstov
                      Ok here you go. It may look a little ghetto, buts it’s only for the occasional long trip and it’s solid...

I took your advice on the aircraft straps (thank you), then added some stability by making a couple of bars attached to the frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97793[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97794[/ATTACH]
                      Well done, Kryzstov.
                      Farmall, thank you for being a positive voice within the forums. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;