Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Booneman
    • Oct 2019

Need Help Choosing Springer length and Rockers

I bought this old raked out 85 FLT a couple of months ago. It had sat for a while. Been working on it, got it running pretty good now.

It's 45 degree rake with 6 over forks. I'd like to put a mid to budget priced (wide type) springer front end on it.

I want to raise it up about 2 inches too. I'm 6'3" and around 260. Bike looks too small for me being this low. Once I get front raised up I'll install taller shocks to level it out.

Do I go 10 over with springer? What length rockers do I need? Do rockers need to be specific to rake?

Please Help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Booneman; 10-12-2019, 8:41 AM.
  • Booneman
    • Oct 2019

Note: I have put taller bar risers and widend foot pegs since picture. Previous owner was a bit shorter than myself. so I had to adjust a few things.
    Last edited by Booneman; 10-12-2019, 8:17 AM. Reason: added comments

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Are the trees raked on that frontend? Just wondering if your 45 degree rake is the forks or the frame neck.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Booneman
        • Oct 2019

The frame neck is raked. The tree is not. About 10 inches of Trail the way it is now. (kinda fun to ride that way, lol)

Note: 21 inch front wheel
        Last edited by Booneman; 10-12-2019, 9:48 AM.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
          • Sep 2011

What about de raking it some to achieve a stance closer to your vision?

Something else you could try is putting the bike on a small stand, then sliding the tubes down in the trees to extend the front end and see how much it changes.

Comment

• Booneman
            • Oct 2019

Thanks for the response.

I actually bought it with the intent of putting a springer on it with longer forks.

I like the 45 degree rake with swing arm frame.

Comment

• Booneman
              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
              What about de raking it some to achieve a stance closer to your vision?

Something else you could try is putting the bike on a small stand, then sliding the tubes down in the trees to extend the front end and see how much it changes.
              I actually did try your idea of playing around with forks while on a stand. Kinda hard to tell how this will translate to springer though. It's gonna sit a bit differently, depending on what rockers I end up with.

I'm not sure to go 8 over or 10 over? I don't want to raise it up too much just an inch or two.

I see Twisted Choppers has a good selection of springers in different price ranges. Just not sure on what length fork and rocker to order.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Just need to search for 'how to determine springer length', or go directly to the manufacturer you want to buy the springer from.

How To Measure For Springer Forks
                Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRINGER-MEASURE-EXH-1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1313583
                chopperhandbook.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, chopperhandbook.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Determine what length springer front end

Name:	vcregcqwe1-2-300x206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1313584

How to Determine Front Ends Length and Rake

Name:	fork_length.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1313585
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Luky
                  • May 2018

Forget all the 8 over,10 over etc.,etc,.
                  Trail is achieved differently on springers and telescopic forks.

After you get the springers and if it has too much "flop " THEN get longer rockers for the springers.
                  But keep the trail in check.
                  Also when ordering springers make the measurements then add two inches to account for the weight of the motorcycle.
                  Also different tires can have a taller aspect ratio or lower aspect ratio. This can help you fine tune the height.

Make your measurements based on the manufacturers recommendations.
                  Call them if you have to.

Comment

• Skjoll
                    • Oct 2018

The length of the rockers is too general a criterion... how they position the axle in relation to the springer's legs when loaded also matters.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Skjoll
                      The length of the rockers is too general a criterion... how they position the axle in relation to the springer's legs when loaded also matters.
                      I think he's over thinking it myself..............

Comment

• Booneman
                        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Skjoll
                        This is part of what I'm wondering. Seems like rockers would be shaped differently depending on rake? This would also effect on fork length needed?

Comment

• Booneman
                          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                          Just need to search for 'how to determine springer length', or go directly to the manufacturer you want to buy the springer from.

How To Measure For Springer Forks
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]97612[/ATTACH]
                          chopperhandbook.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, chopperhandbook.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Determine what length springer front end
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]97613[/ATTACH]

How to Determine Front Ends Length and Rake
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]97614[/ATTACH]
                          https://www.demonscycle.com/length-rake
                          Yes, I have looked at some of these charts. I guess I need to determine my desired FH measurement first.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Booneman
                            This would also effect on fork length needed?

Nope................ unless the rockers are a foot long straight up...........

Comment

• Booneman
                              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
                              Nope................ unless the rockers are a foot long straight up...........
                              The rockers need to be specific to the angle of rake?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;