Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bforbes
    • Jan 2010

bearings for an xs/xt combo

im trying to figure out the correct bearings to buy. i put an xs650 swing on my xt500, so now im using the xs 20mm axel, but im using the xt500 rear drum hub. ive searched for the info but so far i cant tell if the od of the xs and xt bearings are the same. has anyone run this combo? thanks people!
  • earz
    • Aug 2009

Never run that combo, but look at the bearings in the XT hub. They should have a 4 digit number on them somewhere (ie 6304 or 6302 etc) check the numbers on both sides of the hub. Then search google for "xxxx bearing". Most of the search results will list the dimensions of that bearing (ie 20x52x15). The first number is the ID of the bearing, then OD, then width. Once you determine the OD of the bearings installed - you can search for a 20x__x__ bearing. You know you need a 20mm ID the only other thing you may have to account for is the width of the bearing. If the same width is available, great, if not a skinnier bearing may require different axle spacers.

Oh and some bearings may have a few digits that follow. The most common is 2RS = 2 rubber seals

Comment

• bforbes
      • Jan 2010

thats good info, thanks. ill pull the bearings when i get home and start the search.

Comment

• earz
        • Aug 2009

Ok, it looks like the xt has 17x40x12 bearings. Unfortunately I don't think anyone makes a 20x40x12 bearing. Apparently a 20x40x12 bearing is a desired item for Suzuki katana front end swaps?

It may be easier to find an XS rear hub and lace it to your current rim. The XS sprocket choices may not be as good as the XT

Comment

• bforbes
          • Jan 2010

Aw crap, that's not good. I heard a while back that custom bearings can be made.I guess ill be looking into that. Thanks for the info man, that helps a lot.

Comment

• JRussell
            • Mar 2010

CAll the guy at ThumperStuff. He is the man.

Comment

• skoggy
              • Nov 2009

Did that xs swing arm bolt right up? And how much more lenght did you gain. Was looking to do that, i;m running xs mags on my tt500.

Comment

• bforbes
                • Jan 2010

the xs swing was not bolt on. i had to take a bit off the pivot shaft on both sides. it added a couple inches, or at least something close to that.

i found out that a piaggio mp3 125 uses a 20x40x12 in the crankcase cover. now i need to find a parts dealer in the us. i found a couple suppliers in the uk, but i feel like they would take forever to get to me.
                Last edited by bforbes; 07-26-2010, 3:22 PM.

Comment

• earz
                  • Aug 2009

Clicky here
                  Last edited by earz; 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• bforbes
                    • Jan 2010

thanks man, thats a lot of dealers. i ended up ordering them from the UK. all the west coast vespa dealers couldnt help without a part #.

Comment

• bforbes
                      • Jan 2010

DAMMIT!! no bearings coming from the UK. i know the size exsists, how come the people that make bearings cant help? whatever man, im just going to have to bore out the wheel to accept a more standard size bearing, a 20x42x12.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;