CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by KrisCarr View Post
    I have booked the course but unfortunately they were all full for the year so Im out of luck until spring.
    Here is a suggestion that worked for us locally and I tell people all the time. There is a scam on how to get in when the MSF courses are full.
    But first,, fall and even winter riding is some of the best of the year. The crisp air and some of the scenery,, or at least where I am at in Oregon is my favorite. Just avoid the drunken sex crazed deer.. (** Ill explain that in a sec)

But heres the scam or work-around. Here in Oregon they try to defund the Team Oregon safety courses but some awesome folks keep it running, ABATE and others are great at this!.
    But there is more demand than there is room. So they fill up and this may not work everywhere but it might. I got good advice on how to do it and it worked for me and others.
    Go and ask NICELY when the classes are and where. Explain, YES! I know its full but I want to be an alternate. So show up 2 hrs,, or even 1.5 hrs early and park your ASS in front of the class room door.
    When the staff show up, explain you are not enrolled but want to be alternate. You are first in line if some one is a no-show.
    Heres the basics. Any class is typically 20-25 people on average. (+ or -) and in any class, SOMEONE is going to be a no show, missed the bus, had to work, got laid by a super model, too drunk or stoned and forgot. Typically its actually 2-3 people. So here they have a policy if you are more than an hour late, you lose your slot. Alternate gets it. Now they will say, go ahead and sit in and be prepared the late person may still show and you are SOL and bumped.

So I cant say everywhere,, But in my State,, the test is tough and most places dont have a course for taking the riding test and its random who you get so might get a hardass. So everyone says for new riders,, go take the MSR safety course. In my State the DMV recognizes the tests and once you complete the program (Typically here its a class Friday night 4-5 hrs, All Day Saturday and Sunday) So if you pass, you get a certificate and you take it to the DMV and wham-bam-thank you Ma'am,, You get your license endorsement on the spot and no BS.

SUPPORT YER LOCAL MC Safety course! AND those who run them! I tell people does not matter how long you been riding, you WILL learn something,, even old salty dogs. Also in my state they do a intermediate and advanced classes and worth it. Again, no matter how long you been in the saddle you will learn something worth learning.

In my state didnt used to be a endorsement for a MC. So lots of old timers end up in the class. ALL Said they learned stuff. In my case,, I spent years in the military and had a MC endorsement on my MIL license and carried it. When I came back from overseas in 1990,, I just rolled with it. Got pulled over and cop said......"I dont think you are in the military anymore, go get your endorsement or next time I see you I will impound your bike and you get the cuffs"

So me,, and my girlfriend who is now my wife went and did the alternate deal and got in. No waiting.
    The bad thing?? I have bad habits I picked up, She was a noobie and no bad habits. She got a near perfect score. I barely passed... I would have been really upset to flunk and she passes at top of the class.

However in my defense,, they dinged me for a few things vintage bike related. Slipping the clutch is something you just dont do on a old HD or British bike, and some of the obstacle and braking Im used to a vintage bike and had a hard time doing it the teachers way. The classes 250cc Honda Rebels are not like my old Triumph at all. So excuses excuses,, but it is what it is.

*** Sex crazed Drunken deer. Let me explain but all across the US its worth paying attention too. In the fall Male deer-Bucks, go into a hormonal stage called "RUT" Their testosterone or whatever makes male deer horney is in overdrive. Like 4 shots of Cuervo crazy and horny. So they fight and F**K but known to think they are bad asses and even attack people, vehicles and do crazy shit. Its hormones. Seen one standing out on the highway attacking cars. One mauled my wifes car going to work. She didnt hit the deer,, the deer attacked her car!

So,, apple and pear trees are harvesting and dropping fruit. Where I live the deer love that. Some of the fruit is fermenting and the theory is many are drunk. So literally Sex crazed Drunken deer.

** Additional new rub. In my state Cannabis is legal. We have 3 huge and I mean HUGE farms filled with both THC and Hemp CBD weed grows. My neighbor is harvesting the last 2 weeks and its certainly fragrant. So I asked what percentage of shrinkage is deer? Supposedly they like it. Neighbor says has not been a big problem but the road I live on, leads the county in Deer deaths for vehicle strikes. 4 in the last week that I know of,, but probably more.
    I know many people knocked off their bikes by deer and hitting a few dead on. My wife and some others saw some elk the other morning right by the road, so ride careful.. The wildlife might be totally stoned.
    Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 10-11-2019 at 2:20 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    That's an old bikers myth, and given the rate per 100K users tubs are even further from being close to MC fatalities.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...ycles-and-atvs

https://www.seattlepi.com/national/a...in-1201018.php

Riding is dangerous so get skilled and ride often to maintain that skill. Riders who survive the noob stage have far fewer accidents.
    Fake News, I say the tub is more dangerous so it is so......j/k....never really looked at it. However things like smoking or doing hard drugs are still much more dangerous.

I got my mc license over 40 years ago and covered about half a million miles since... never went down or crashed on the street despite riding year round even in rain, sleet and snow. However as a licensed road racer I kissed pavement many times, ended up with quite a bit of road rash and burns despite wearing full leathers and even lopped off the tips of a few fingers via chain and sprocket during a crash. I've lost friends both on the street and track yet I'm still on the sunny side of the ground thanks to a combination of luck and training. Everything you do in life has risks and it's up to the individual to decide if they're worth taking and when it comes to riding, doing what you can to help reduce potential risks by practicing handling and braking skills (Keith Code's books were very helpful) and mental conditioning. Or you could always play it safe, not participate in 'risky' activities and possibly live a mundane existence.

Get Adobe Flash player

Had some dipshit pull out in front me almost 4 years ago. Hit the broad side of their truck doing about 40. Shattered my pelvis, ruptured my bladder, broke my left arm just above the elbow, broke my left knee, broke three ribs, bunch of cuts, scrapes, bruising and internal bleeding. I was lucky not to die in the street (helmet saved me from death/head trauma).

I was in the hospital for 32 days and a rehabilitation facility for another 16, where the doctors originally said I'd never walk or use my left arm again.

About 5 months after the accident I was back on a bike. I love to ride.

Last edited by Vinson; 10-11-2019 at 9:40 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Vinson View Post
    About 5 months after the accident I was back on a bike. I love to ride.
    You're an inspiration to us all, man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Impact PT tears up joints. Consider an exercycle to maintain cardio as you age.

Get Adobe Flash player

As much as it sucks, you have to always watch out for the other guy, be observant.
    and remember, as once told to me

"There are old Bikers
    and there are bold Bikers,
    But there are no old, bold Bikers !"

Drive safe.

My dad told me to ride as if everyone else on the road is trying to kill me, which I do. However, my crash was completely my fault and due to overconfidence and lack of skill. I live in rural northern canada, there is very little traffic until I get into town. I was going too fast and by the time I saw the gravel it was too late and I didn't know what to do about it. My buddy told me that when he pulled my bike out of the ditch it was in fourth gear. I down shifted once before I went down trying to scrub off some speed so I was doing a minimum of 90 km/h in a 50 zone. Lessons learned though. No longer will I ride without a speedometer. I will definitely wear more gear, even for short tuning rides. I will take the safety course. I gained new respect for the machine and the whole riding process. That shit hurt and Im lucky because it could have been a lot worse.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your Dad was right-great advice. My nephews are starting to ride and I buy them decent gear for presents. Glad you are in one piece. Share your thoughts with the O.L., should calm her down.

Get Adobe Flash player

My major crash was 60 mph through colorado curvy mountain roads. Broken pelvis, ankle and pinky. Months in a wheelchair then crutches but never a question as to riding again.

Here's me and my basset shopping cycle trader for the next road glide before I could even walk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6535.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	97969

ive been crashing bikes since i was 10. Hell i once got closelined off my Yamaha PW80 by a tree branch going flat out through the woods.
    The sooner you get back on, the better. Otherwise the mind has a tendency to build up feelings of fear and this could make you either give up riding all together or make you ridiculously overly cautious which can also be bad thing.

First thing that stood out to me in your post was that you admitted to being a novice rider but were caning it flat out on a hand shift bike.
    My advice, ditch the cool guy choppaahh parts and keep the bike easily controllable, rideable and sensible in line with your abilities.

Get Adobe Flash player

riding on two wheels gets more dangerous with each passing year, that is my
    consensus from many years riding. Here are the main reasons in my opinion....
    1. huge increase in population (too many 4 wheel death traps on our highways)
    2. huge increase in stupid, uncaring, reckless drivers lacking respect for
    3. shiity roads that are in desperate need of repair from years of neglect due to tax money
    being wasted on other bullshit by greedy liberal decision makers
    4. too many mobile phones

One of my buddies got mowed down by several cars a few years ago in a multi car collision, destroying
    his shovelhead and he got pretty messed up, after a long heal, he is back on a bike.

and then there is another buddy of mine that got hit about a year and a half ago & he is paralyed,
    living in a bed at a shiity convalescent hospital, and the last time I visited him a couple of weeks
    ago, he was crying and says he wants to die.

I've had some close calls that scared the crap out of me, but no bad crashes, with no plans to stop
    riding m cycles anytime soon, my tip of the day is stay alert and watch everything like a hawk,
    because it's usually going to be some idiot, or old person that doesn't see you, that is going to fuck your life up

Share This