Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nateridesbikes
    • Sep 2011

Front end options for CB360?

Built a chopper frame for a basketcase I've been dragging around for a decade. The fork tubes need to be 4in longer. What I'm trying to figure out is if any of the bigger CBs have a front end thats longer and also easily swapable. My hope is to find a cheap Honda front end that'll work before I bite the bullet and buy new fork tubes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71529374_10156574427103201_5217319962426736640_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	1345675
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

I would say no to your question......... For what your building you will need to buy aftermarket tubes..............

Comment

• Luky
      • May 2018

Originally posted by nateridesbikes
      Built a chopper frame for a basketcase I've been dragging around for a decade. The fork tubes need to be 4in longer. What I'm trying to figure out is if any of the bigger CBs have a front end thats longer and also easily swapable. My hope is to find a cheap Honda front end that'll work before I bite the bullet and buy new fork tubes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97530[/ATTACH]
      Your best decision would be to buy new fork tubes that are the correct length.
      Even a CB 750 Honda would NOT have longer front forks.

Who built the frame? Thanks.

Comment

• nateridesbikes
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Luky
        Your best decision would be to buy new fork tubes that are the correct length.
        Even a CB 750 Honda would NOT have longer front forks.

Who built the frame? Thanks.
        Thats exactly what I was hoping top find out. Figured the bigger bikes had longer front ends but I dont have any to take measurements off of.

I built the frame.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

They are all about your length and shorter...........

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

You can swap forks with trees, swap just the forks, or perhaps just the fork tubes from an enduro.

This has been done here before and recently this same question came up about longer forks for a GS 1000/850, so the answer is yes, it can be done, and most likely cheaper than buying new extended tubes specific for your lower legs to fit your bike. Might get a Honda enduro roller for $100 or free.

I see Honda CB360 fork tubes are 33mm; same as the Honda XL-200R (83-84)
            Fork tube Diameters list
            Compliments of "a member on another forum", Sorted by size, find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor. JAP bikes Fork Tube Sizes Fork Diameter Make Model and Year 27 Honda MB5 (82) 27 Honda CR-60R (83) 27 Honda XR-70R (97-03) 27 Honda XL-70K (74-76)...

Se this link and other research here:

2019 Thread: Is there a low budget way of getting say 4” over forks for GS1000/GS850?

and there is always this option; Honda 350:

Name:	AEE springer on rigid chop, original ad.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1313529
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

^^^^^^^^ Awesome I knew Tri would know............^^^^^^^^ He's done a lot more Jap customs than I have...... I had stock bikes......

I never thought about enduros..........

Comment

• Sep 2012

The SL350 forks are about 2" longer as are the 77-78 CB750K forks. Both forks are 35mm so larger diameter than your 360 forks. You will need the trees too. The SL350 trees are a bolt on, but the 750 trees will likely need a spacer.

Comment

• nateridesbikes
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                  You can swap forks with trees, swap just the forks, or perhaps just the fork tubes from an enduro.

This has been done here before and recently this same question came up about longer forks for a GS 1000/850, so the answer is yes, it can be done, and most likely cheaper than buying new extended tubes specific for your lower legs to fit your bike. Might get a Honda enduro roller for $100 or free.

I see Honda CB360 fork tubes are 33mm; same as the Honda XL-200R (83-84)
                  Fork tube Diameters list
                  Compliments of "a member on another forum", Sorted by size, find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor. JAP bikes Fork Tube Sizes Fork Diameter Make Model and Year 27 Honda MB5 (82) 27 Honda CR-60R (83) 27 Honda XR-70R (97-03) 27 Honda XL-70K (74-76)...

Se this link and other research here:

2019 Thread: Is there a low budget way of getting say 4” over forks for GS1000/GS850?

and there is always this option; Honda 350:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97551[/ATTACH]

I’ve searched and searched and never came across that thread so thank you. Just got a price on new 4 over tubes and it ain’t cheap.

Comment

• flatman
                    • Sep 2017

May be the 2 inch longer forks and a 21 inch front wheel or maybe a 23 inch front wheel might get you close to those 4 inches you need. Dont some of the jap forks have trees that the tubes can slide up and down in the top triple tree? Not sure how cost will work out vs just tubes,

Comment

• Skjoll
                      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                      You can swap forks with trees, swap just the forks, or perhaps just the fork tubes from an enduro...
                      +1.

On one of my XS650 chops I raked the steering head a few degrees and used the front end (and 21" rim and hub) from a late 70's era Suzuki RM125. The nice thing is that the leading axle of the fork sliders helped reduce trail a little and bring it closer to 'normal' more than conventional sliders would have.

Comment

• Luky
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by flatman
                        May be the 2 inch longer forks and a 21 inch front wheel or maybe a 23 inch front wheel might get you close to those 4 inches you need. Dont some of the jap forks have trees that the tubes can slide up and down in the top triple tree? Not sure how cost will work out vs just tubes,
                        Almost all telescopic forks allow the fork tubes to slide up or down in the trees.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Another option:
                          Got a link for an old sportster 33.4 front end? Tubes are just about 0.016' larger, could hone out that much from the CB360 tree holes.

Name:	Harley-Davidson-K-model-1957-Ironhead-Sportster-334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1313543
                          HARLEY DAVIDSON K model 1957 Ironhead Sportster 33.4 FORK FORKS LEGS XLCH 900 - $255.00. FOR SALE! Harley Davidson K model or early sportster 33.4 fork legs. Extended length is 38" Nice shape no cut fender tabs. Action feels good- good to use as is or put back to original. Please see my other items. 142823025590
                          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• PaddyMack
                            • Mar 2015

I got some tubes for you. I believe they are 4 over. They came on a cb350 wannabe chopper I bought a few years ago. I swapped them out with some stock ones. Send me a message if you are still looking for the tubes

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;